Tips to help a returning player.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mortalvis

11-29-2012

Hello all. I'm a returning player (I've been back for 2-3 weeks now) from a long absence.

When I last played, Trundle and Caitlyn were new and Xerath had yet to be released. Evelynn could only be detected by potion and had a stun.

The jungle was profitable and could get you ahead of a lane, support meant healing and buffing allies instead of doing nothing but lurking and stunning.

Zhonya's Ring still existed and tanky dps champs dominated the field.

.......... Things have changed. A lot... and I could really use some help getting my head wrapped around all the new stuff. I've tried just diving in but my match history looks something like:

lose
lose
lose
lose
win
lose
lose
lose
ad nauseum

Here's what I remember vs what I've noticed about the different roles:

ranged carry:
What I remember: Ranged AD carries used to be kinda weak to make up for their massive range. They could harass like nobody's business but could seldom stand up to a determined melee'er that could close the gap. Mages were a bit more bursty, but had similar issues.

What I see now: Regardless of whether it's AD or AP, the ranged carry seems to dominate the field. anything with lots of ranged attacks (be it AoE, Skillshot, or basic attack) can harass, run, poke, chase, and kill anything melee.

melee carry:
What I remember: Whether AD or AP, Melee Carries could get into the face of the ranged carries and shred them. They could be brought down by a well timed jungle gank though.

What I see: melee carries, with a few exceptions (primarily Katarina, Akali, and Riven), get curbstomped by ranged carries. They can be harassed endlessly by ranged champions and are often hard pressed to catch up without a gank-slow or a skillshot.

Tanky DPS:
What I remember: Tanky DPS used to dominate the field. They were hard to harass, had CC, and the pokes from the ranged carries did little to them.

What I see: Tanky DPS seem signifigantly less tanky and less dps-y than they once were. I dunno if it is the new items, the stronger ranged champs, or what... but tanky dps just isn't what it used to be.

Jungle:
What I remember: Dangerous, but well worth it. Jungling could easily get you ahead of a lane, both in gold and in exp. A gank from a jungler was often deadly.

What I see: Junglers seem a bit starved in both gold and exp, risking falling behind if they do not get into a lane and either gank or farm fairly quickly. This sort of starvation tends to lead to anorexic ganks. The most feared ganks now come from mid lane.

Support:
What I remember: Stunning, Healing, Tanking, Slowing, Buffing. Share the gold with your laning partner but try to initiate a teamfight that will lead to a fed laning partner.

What I see: Lurk in a bush and stun. Do not farm. Rely solely on assists (which may or may not happen) to get gold.

I suppose my tone might be a bit irrate when it comes to support, but my experiences in that position since I've been back have been terrible since that's all I'm expected to do and trying to get gold (or use of Taric's passive to facilitate healing) causes me to be accused of stealing the partner's farm.

What I could really use is advice. I'm in the 80-90 win bracket (but I keep getting paired against opponents with 200-300 wins. dunno why). I'm doing fairly well with Twitch, Kog'Maw, and Malzahar, but every other position (other than ranged carry) has changed so much that I'm having trouble with them.

I'm also having trouble against a few champions in particular: Vayne, Riven, Ezreal, Draven, and Darius

Of course, I've always had problems against Ezreal :P The other ones, however, are new to me and I've been encountering them a LOT lately.

So, what I would really like, are general tips that will help me be more useful to my team all-round and in positions other than ranged carry.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-30-2012

You know waht... I wouldn't even bother trying to figure it out. The season 3 patch is gonna change EVERYTHING such that the game is barely recognizable.

I'd recommend playing on the Public Test Realm to get used to the new items and stuff.

Mortalvis

11-30-2012

how do I get on the public test realm?

sorry if this is a stupid/obvious question