"I ain't got a college degree but I have lots of people working for me"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MadSeer

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBizness View Post
This is wrong. Drive, motivation, and assertiveness all are things that make you come out on top of someone that is even "higher skilled" than you.

I see plenty of smart people here say "I put my resume in to so and so company" and that's it. Or some times the even ask "how do I get a job".

They think once they go to college they just send their resume out and get a job.

I could get the same job if I wanted to because I know nothing takes that long to learn if you take the time and I'm willing to do more.

I will go to the place I want to be hired in at, learn everything about the place, their history, operating procedures, everything, then noit leave until I have a meeting with the owner and a job.

All while you wait for your resume to be read.
That's not what I'm saying: you're right, you need to show that you're passionate about your job, and you're motivated to make it. But if you take all of this in consideration, both candidates for a same job are equally skilled and are both as motivated and passionate, the one with the degree will be chosen. There are exceptions, but this is true in most situations. You're better off with a degree if you know what you're doing. If you don't really have any motivation and just drop your resume without following up on it, then getting that degree was indeed a waste of time.

GreenEyedMonster

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBizness View Post
Seems like you're upset that you wasted your time going.
Well played. I bought it hook line and sinker.

You play ignorant very well.

Sometimes I forget how thick of a breeding ground OT can be for trolls.

Subtle trolls are always the best ones.

Dobagoh

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSeer View Post
That's not what I'm saying: you're right, you need to show that you're passionate about your job, and you're motivated to make it. But if you take all of this in consideration, both candidates for a same job are equally skilled and are both as motivated and passionate, the one with the degree will be chosen. There are exceptions, but this is true in most situations. You're better off with a degree if you know what you're doing. If you don't really have any motivation and just drop your resume without following up on it, then getting that degree was indeed a waste of time.
That's a pointless and stupid hypothetical because in no situation will an employer be faced with two identical candidates, one with a degree and one without.

first off, the one without a degree will have more experience / be younger. employers usually discriminate and hire younger candidates.
second off, the one without a degree will know he's facing an uphill battle and will be fighting tooth and nail to get the job
third off, your hypothetical is stupid and you should feel stupid for making it

Umbasa

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobagoh View Post
That's a pointless and stupid hypothetical because in no situation will an employer be faced with two identical candidates, one with a degree and one without.

first off, the one without a degree will have more experience / be younger. employers usually discriminate and hire younger candidates.
second off, the one without a degree will know he's facing an uphill battle and will be fighting tooth and nail to get the job
you just started off a response to a "stupid hypothetical" with a stupid hypothetical.

MadSeer

11-30-2012

Quote:

We obviously don't work in the same industry, and you should feel ignorant for pretending you know how it works everywhere.

GreenEyedMonster

11-30-2012

Quote:
Yeah, they won't be identical. But they will be damn close, and it happens all the time.

Dobagoh

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSeer View Post
We obviously don't work in the same industry, and you should feel ignorant for pretending you know how it works everywhere.
Everyone in my industry has gone to at least post-baccalaureate education noob

ThaBizness

12-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodoku View Post
And yes, if you're not going to follow convention, orthodoxy, or... laws... then there's a lot of ways to get around certain obstacles. Here's an easy one: lie on your resume. State that you have a degree you don't really have. Get the best of both worlds! All the cool kids are doing it.
You could lie about your credintials or your experience on your resume but here's the problem. You're still leaving your fate in the employers hand. You're just making your resume look nicer and hope that they pick it out of the others. You're still being lazy about your approach and you have a good chance of not even getting called back. This isn't taking initiative. If I'm looking for a job I don't want to leave it up to the employer looking over my resume in a pile of many and maybe giving me a call. I'm going to make sure I get a meeting with the employer. You don't do that by just sending your resume and lieing on it.

I have noticed every time some tells me about their college experience on here it's always followed by thinking in a straight line or telling me why something isn't possible. Seems like college is ruining people in that aspect. They don't teach you desire. You guys see a locked door and walk away, if there is money behind that door, I'm going to get in.

In your mind you are probably doing things the right way because you were told, in my mind you're lazy. I hear you guys say "you can't get a job by going to a place of business and demand a meeting" and this confirms my belief that I'll always be able to get a job becuase my competition is lazy and can't think out of the box.

Kodoku

12-01-2012

Quote:
You could lie about your credintials or your experience on your resume but here's the problem. You're still leaving your fate in the employers hand. You're just making your resume look nicer and hope that they pick it out of the others. You're still being lazy about your approach and you have a good chance of not even getting called back. This isn't taking initiative. If I'm looking for a job I don't want to leave it up to the employer looking over my resume in a pile of many and maybe giving me a call. I'm going to make sure I get a meeting with the employer. You don't do that by just sending your resume and lieing on it.
I didn't say "just" give them a resume. Even if you do everything you suggest, you're often going to get asked for a resume.

Quote:
You guys see a locked door and walk away, if there is money behind that door, I'm going to get in.
You'd make a good bank robber.

Quote:
I hear you guys say "you can't get a job by going to a place of business and demand a meeting"
No one ever said that. See, if you went to college you might have sharpened your critical faculties to a point where you'd actually be able to understand peoples' points of view. As it is, you don't even seem to have a clue as to what points I'm making, insisting upon things that aren't even being contested.

Quote:
In your mind you are probably doing things the right way because you were told, in my mind you're lazy.
Told? By who? Here's what my university career center says:

Quote:
The hiring strategies that are the most popular with employers, are often considered the most inconvenient by job seekers. As a result, job seekers tend to look for work using the easiest, but least effective strategies. They start by applying to job postings advertised on large job boards, company webistes or in newspapers. Then they send out unsolicited resumes.
Quote:
Approximately 80% of jobs never get listed at all! Why is that? For employers, the job-posting process can be frustrating, time- consuming, and unreliable. It is a lot of work to sort through stacks of resumes, call up candidates, and do interviews—and this doesn’t always produce the best hire. So many employers try to avoid it that This 80% of unadvertised jobs is called the "hidden job market".
You're full of assumptions, you can't understand what other people are saying, you still haven't stated what position you were hired into, and the structure of your writing is downright painful to read. You certainly fit the stereotype of people who think college is a waste of time.

ThaBizness

12-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodoku View Post
You certainly fit the stereotype of people who think college is a waste of time.
I'm not a stereotype, I did drop out of college after a month (if that) and went to public school in Detroit. Not a streotype, those are facts.

The difference is I'm about to go shopping at Louis Vuitton when they open before heading back to the Pai Gow table.