Hi, I'm Griftrix, Let me explain my job title

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Redenbacher

11-30-2012

Yea, the release of Pulsefire Ezreal unleashed a wave of new animations packed in to every new champion/skin. Recall animations, Draven's axes, Khaz & PFE's evolutions - those are just a few examples of animations that really brought those champions to life.

Champions no longer seem like individual models, but a collection of models that are a sum greater than it's parts. It's been fun, over the past two years, to see how far the designs have come. I mean, look at Yi's triangle feet compared to Mecha Kha'Zix sprouting missile pods from his shoulders.

Griftrix

Senior Animation Engineer

11-30-2012
75 of 96 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redenbacher View Post
Yea, the release of Pulsefire Ezreal unleashed a wave of new animations packed in to every new champion. Recall animations, Draven's axes, Khaz & PFE's evolutions - those are just a few examples of animations that really brought those champions to life.

Champions no longer seem like individual models, but a collection of models that are a sum greater than it's parts. It's been fun, over the past two years, to see how far the designs have come.
I helped with pulsefire Ezreal!! I hadn't been working at Riot long, and there was a bug with the location of his "I killed you" particle. It only happened on 1 guy's computer, and I pointed to a file and said "what's that file for?". Turns out it wasn't supposed to be there, and was causing the bug. So I BARELY accidentally helped with him .

Redenbacher

11-30-2012

Ho! You just earned yourself a whole mess of brownie points for any of those folks clamoring like teenage girls at a Bieber concert for PFE's release.

Watch out!

Overlord Hades

11-30-2012

Hello, seeing that you like nocturne and all and i plan on getting him soon, can you recommend a build and maybe some tips for playing him please <3

The Freakshow

11-30-2012

Hey Griftix,

There are a lot of your answers to look through so my apologies if this was already asked.

I get that you're an animation engineer, so I assume your job requires a bit of coding, yes?

How did you get into that specific spot as opposed to a designer or QA of some sort? And where did you start out?

In college, what did you graduate with to allow you this fantastic opportunity?

Sorry for all the questions, I am a fourth year with Computer Science right now, and I'm planning to apply for an internship, just wanting to see which area I should aim for.

Regards,
Mike "FreakShow" =]

Griftrix

11-30-2012
76 of 96 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord Hades View Post
Hello, seeing that you like nocturne and all and i plan on getting him soon, can you recommend a build and maybe some tips for playing him please <3
Check out my Nocturne rune page. That's the secret sauce. Use 9/21 jungle masteries. Start boots + 3 pots, and I try to go for brutalizer/phage early. Wriggles is also a solid option. Then... just build to kill the ADC. Randuins, frozen mallet, ghostblade, BT/IE, and probably ninja tabis. If you have those items you will ult and destroy the ADC, letting your team win the fight.

But none of those advice is worth anything with the new jungle, so we'll have to learn together .

Overlord Hades

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
Check out my Nocturne rune page. That's the secret sauce. Use 9/21 jungle masteries. Start boots + 3 pots, and I try to go for brutalizer/phage early. Wriggles is also a solid option. Then... just build to kill the ADC. Randuins, frozen mallet, ghostblade, BT/IE, and probably ninja tabis. If you have those items you will ult and destroy the ADC, letting your team win the fight.

But none of those advice is worth anything with the new jungle, so we'll have to learn together .
well the advise is still nice and i can use it till the new jungle so i thank you very much

Griftrix

11-30-2012
77 of 96 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakShow9807 View Post
Hey Griftix,

There are a lot of your answers to look through so my apologies if this was already asked.

I get that you're an animation engineer, so I assume your job requires a bit of coding, yes?

How did you get into that specific spot as opposed to a designer or QA of some sort? And where did you start out?

In college, what did you graduate with to allow you this fantastic opportunity?

Sorry for all the questions, I am a fourth year with Computer Science right now, and I'm planning to apply for an internship, just wanting to see which area I should aim for.

Regards,
Mike "FreakShow" =]
Learn all the math you can, and be awesome at it. Make a 3d engine, make a terrain renderer, do some procedural walking with IK, a fluid dynamics sim, and a rigid body physics engine. Work at a bad company for a year, then go work at a better company. Get lots of experience doing the coding you like, and go out of your way to make the lives of artists and designers better. Be the honey badger of programming. After that, you should check out the Riot Games website for job postings and send in your resume.

Most importantly... find your passion, and be the best in the world at it. Then you will not only be happy (that's the part where your passion is your work) you will also be successful (that's cause you're the best in the world at what you love).

Good luck!

Nasuuna

11-30-2012

what is the meaning of life

and why should i care.

Gentleman Poro

11-30-2012

So my favorite "specialized" animation is the astronautilu moon bounce, what would yours be?