Advice for a new player

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kroda13

11-29-2012

I am pretty new to this game so far I am enjoying nunu the most out of the ones I tried. What kind of build should I be using that would benifit my team the most?

PogoPogoPogoPogo

11-29-2012

Honestly, Nunu's biggest strength is supporting teammates, with his Blood Boil W, and his slows on his E and R. The problem is, besides his melee auto-attacks, he doesn't have a great way of consistently dishing out damage. The slows and W are really only good if your teammates know how to take full advantage of them.

Now, I'll say this. Nunu is an excellent champion later in the summoner levels (like past 20) when teammates also know quite a bit more about the game, so I'd definitely keep Nunu around as a champion to play later, but the best advice I can give you right now is to keep looking for champions. You'll have a hard time winning with bad teammates when playing as Nunu.

Riven and Udyr are free this week. You should give both of them a shot.

Kroda13

11-29-2012

cool I will give those 2 a try tonight. I mostly got Nunu for the cookie monster skin at first because Muppets > everything else

PogoPogoPogoPogo

11-29-2012

Yea, I've been thinking about that skin myself.

Anyway, if you don't like Riven or Udyr, let us know what you do/don't like about champions, what kind of playstyles you like, your play experience from other games, and the people here will gladly suggest to you some good champions to try out.

Riven and Udyr are both relatively expensive in terms of IP. I believe Riven is still 6300 IP, and I think Udyr is 4800. There are definitely some other, cheaper champions out there that you can get access to sooner, and the free champions rotate weekly, changing every Tuesday.

For me, the biggest thing I suggest to new players is keep trying new champions every free week. Try them all out. Find the playstyle that suites you. Once you think you know what kind of playstyle you like in LoL, come back to the forums. We can suggest to you a list of some of the best champions in the league that match that playstyle. And I personally try to always find free week suggestions that seem to match what the person is looking for.

Kroda13

11-29-2012

I am coming from WoW totally different game play but I have always played a tank or support role in MMORPGs. There are no healer types in this are there?

PogoPogoPogoPogo

11-29-2012

There's not a full-blown healer like there is in WoW.

There are, however, champions with heals, and there is a support role. There's not really a tank "role," but every good team composition includes a tank-type champion in their composition, but that tank can be the support, can be the top laner, or can be the jungler (and in some cases the mid). In League, there is also a champion type called a "bruiser." This is sort of an off-tank champion, or maybe in WoW kind of a mix between an off-tank and a plate-DPS player (I hesitate to say that because plate DPS aren't THAT much tankier than other DPS in a lot of cases).

Riven is an example of a bruiser character. She doesn't have the utility that a full tank would have (though she has one short stun), but she can take a bit of damage.

Nunu actually does fit into the role of a support champion. As I said, he excels in helping his teammates be more effective. And that's the common thread for all support champions. However, they accomplish this goal in different methods.

Nunu has attackspeed/movespeed buff, as well as two slows. Blitzcrank is tankier than Nunu, and he's got some harder CC. He's got a grab to pull enemies towards him, a knock up to keep them in place, and a silence.

One champion you may like to try is Alistar. You can get him for free by liking the League of Legends facebook page (or maybe it's YouTube, one or the other). He's a tanky support champion, and he also actually has a heal.

Blitzcrank, by the way, is also free this week.

Leona and Amumu are two other tanky/support type champions that are also free this week.

Kroda13

11-29-2012

nice will add those to my list. I have been looking at Amumu too I like the way he looks lol. Thanks much for the advice.