Why is Riot afraid of creating new unique playstyles, unique champions ?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ding an Sich

12-09-2012

I'm not sure why people assume riot doesn't make unique champions. As you have already admitted a great deal of the most recent champions are fun/have unique themes.

I think people forget that Riot makes everything they do with a great deal of research and then practicalness. All the older champions that you referenced, including blitzcrank generally have a semi-solid build, but their entirety generally leads them to be a king maker in terms of games. And the red's have had this discussion before when people proposed abilities, or when a small minority fought for gp's deny ability. Riot isn't afraid to implement anything, but they won't willfully kick themselves in the groin for the sake of appearances of something seemingly "unique/new".

That being said Riot usually errr's on the strong side of thoughtful for the entirety of the game, instead of the small sweet nothings that add image, but not value to the game.

BestBilbo

12-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding an Sich View Post
I'm not sure why people assume riot doesn't make unique champions. As you have already admitted a great deal of the most recent champions are fun/have unique themes.

I think people forget that Riot makes everything they do with a great deal of research and then practicalness. All the older champions that you referenced, including blitzcrank generally have a semi-solid build, but their entirety generally leads them to be a king maker in terms of games. And the red's have had this discussion before when people proposed abilities, or when a small minority fought for gp's deny ability. Riot isn't afraid to implement anything, but they won't willfully kick themselves in the groin for the sake of appearances of something seemingly "unique/new".

That being said Riot usually errr's on the strong side of thoughtful for the entirety of the game, instead of the small sweet nothings that add image, but not value to the game.
Unique champions - Yes. Unique playstyles - Arguably, not so much.

Riot could drag it to a whole other level.

ItemsGuy

12-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestBilbo View Post
What I meant with 'I don't think so' is just because I refuse to believe that I just need to play another game, like DotA2 for example. Your work actually confirms this 'I don't think so' statement, as you suggest what could easily be changed into something cooler.
Ah, this is much better than what I had assumed! I thought it meant something along the lines of "no lol is fine stfu," but I suppose that isn't quite giving you enough credit.
Quote:
Just out of pure interest:

- What do you do in real life ? Just designing champion's kits isn't a real 'job application' as far as I know
Well, I'm a four-year student at the Savannah College of Art and Design, pursuing a MFA in Interactive Design and Game Development (taking classes taught by people that have worked professionally in the field)--and while I don't necessarily have any experience in the field itself, I plan on applying for a summer internship at Riot Games Inc.'s Santa Monica location (after I finish the other half of my portfolio--as I'm not so blindly optimistic as to think that more-or-less walking in and saying "by the way everything you guys are doing is wrong so let me fix it k?" would make the best impression, and I want to show that I'm more than capable of making my own designs, instead of riding and criticizing theirs). After this, of course, I plan on immediately applying for a full-time job there, since I'd then have the "experience" they'd want.
Quote:
- How do you plan to get a job at Riot
To put it bluntly? Through persistence, hard work, and a resume of around 100 designs (redesigns included). If I don't get the job the first time around? I'll build up my portfolio (perhaps going back to SCAD to take some more art-intensive courses, as opposed to just ID/GD), then come knockin' again. That being said, while the people at Riot don't necessarily know the right direction to take the MOBA genre--it's been around for a while, and the misleading "success" of DotA (accumulated over 10 years of basically being a popular mod to a popular game) can certainly skew their perspective on what makes a MOBA "good"--I know they're good people who want the best for their game, and upon seeing how much dedication I've put forward and how much work I've done in so little time, I don't expect them to simply turn me away without so much as a good once-over.

Quote:
- How do you plan to convince them to rework some of these designs ? I think you'll just get: '**** off, this is League, go play DotA or something.' What I ask for is rather minor: A few new more unique champions with unique mechanics and playstyles, you plan on reworking ALOT of existing champions. That's a MAJOR step.
Ah, this is one I've shadow-boxed with quite a few times. Like I've said earlier, I don't plan on introducing these plans as anything more than theoretical until I've made my mark through my original work, as well as my problem-solving/critical thinking capabilities. As far as the reworks go, once I'm able to get my hands on the tools they use to program their game, I'll work on prototypes of a few of the redesigns and have them try them out for themselves. It'll take a lot of work, but work isn't really something I'm afraid of, haha. If they do end up saying something like "go play DotA," I'll simply point out how DotA is actually a step in the opposite direction of where I want to take things (as explained on my redesign blog), and why learning from past mistakes is better than trying to emulate them.

I'm glad I got a chance to explain myself a bit more to you! If you have any more questions, please let me know--I'll be more than glad to answer them!

BestBilbo

12-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItemsGuy View Post
derp
Thank you for posting all of that. I have no more questions, I'll keep an eye on your blog/site, definetely interested how you'll future'll pann out.

Best of luck mate, go go go, make League 'better' !

PS: Babel, RIOT PLS. Always loved Ancient/earth creatures, much like Earth Rune skarner. Liked the design, liked the look. VERY cool.

EDIT: Red the Maokai thing. So much epic-er.

BestBilbo

12-09-2012

bump

BestBilbo

12-09-2012

bump

ItemsGuy

12-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestBilbo View Post
Thank you for posting all of that. I have no more questions, I'll keep an eye on your blog/site, definetely interested how you'll future'll pann out.

Best of luck mate, go go go, make League 'better' !

PS: Babel, RIOT PLS. Always loved Ancient/earth creatures, much like Earth Rune skarner. Liked the design, liked the look. VERY cool.

EDIT: Read the Maokai thing. So much epic-er.
"Read the Maokai thing"? Are you talking about the redesign itself, or the aside stating that I will fight everyone working at Riot to bring back his original visual design?

EDIT: Also, I don't suppose GD is the best place to post these kinds of threads--the folks around here are the same people that make solo queue such a nightmare, and the product of the not-so-stellar community that Riot has fostered over the years.

If you want to talk more in-depth about this sort of content design with somebody who not only cares about it, but is more than willing and able to make these changes happen, add me on League.

BestBilbo

12-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItemsGuy View Post
"Read the Maokai thing"? Are you talking about the redesign itself, or the aside stating that I will fight everyone working at Riot to bring back his original visual design?

EDIT: Also, I don't suppose GD is the best place to post these kinds of threads--the folks around here are the same people that make solo queue such a nightmare, and the product of the not-so-stellar community that Riot has fostered over the years.

If you want to talk more in-depth about this sort of content design with somebody who not only cares about it, but is more than willing and able to make these changes happen, add me on League.
I'm from EUW originally, so I think I'll have a hard time catching you on League as I have no good reason to be logged in the NA client.

I meant the rework, not his visuals. Anyhow, now you got me startled again: How was he originally supposed to look ? I always wished he looked more like an ent - more thin and tree-ish.

BestBilbo

12-10-2012

bump

BestBilbo

12-10-2012

Bump