Why is Riot afraid of creating new unique playstyles, unique champions ?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mogs01gt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-29-2012

Because the community complains about not being able to counter them or that they are OP.

EagLeaf

11-29-2012

They've talked about this type of thing before: creating a unique kit for the sake uniqueness isn't good design. Just making a kit to show off how unique you can make something is masturbatory design and doesn't make the game more interesting since it just introduces a niche character that's tough to balance.

You talk about old Sivir and how she was the pushing queen: the fact that she pushed so hard was what got her nerfed and made it so no one played her. That's why "creative" kits aren't good for the game.

Drukyul

11-29-2012

Jayce/Elise are some of the newer champs in the league, so I assumed this thread was a necro. I was wrong.

Ahhh Chu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-29-2012

Sleep: Enemy target is stunned until their own teammate attacks them with an auto attack (which does no damage). The enemy basically stunned, though being invulnerable for the CC duration, teammates can cancel the effect by hitting their teammate who's asleep/stunned.

Sooo...what happens if they just put you to sleep one by one. As soon as you separate bot lane everyone will be asleep. Yea...that sounds fun.

Zerglinator

11-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestBilbo View Post
She is, was glad about her release.
...then what in the name of Vilemaw is this thread even about?

Also, you can make a megathread. It would be nice to not search for the 12 pieces of the thread scattered across the treacherous lands of GD.

BestBilbo

11-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahhh Chu View Post
Sleep: Enemy target is stunned until their own teammate attacks them with an auto attack (which does no damage). The enemy basically stunned, though being invulnerable for the CC duration, teammates can cancel the effect by hitting their teammate who's asleep/stunned.

Sooo...what happens if they just put you to sleep one by one. As soon as you separate bot lane everyone will be asleep. Yea...that sounds fun.
Those are suggestions :)

Labomba

11-29-2012

Where do you draw the line where "unique" and "burden of knowledge" don't clash? For instance, one of the quotes above raises the suggestion of a champion's abilities doing different things depending upon the terrain they are positioned on. Stuff like this simply can't exist because it requires entirely too much thought from both the user of this champion and also the opponents. The map is just a map and any visual differences in terrain are simply that -- VISUAL. You can't have someone's ability change depending on if they are in the "river" or on grass. To the game, there's no difference between river and grass, and to the player, we don't want there to be a difference. I don't want to see a Fizz or Nami where their abilities are amplified when in the river because they are "aquatic" humanoids. It's simply too much to think about. As an opponent, you'd constantly be of the mentality that going into the river is BAD when playing aginst such a champion.

BestBilbo

11-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drukyul View Post
Jayce/Elise are some of the newer champs in the league, so I assumed this thread was a necro. I was wrong.
Agreed. They are fun characters, but do they impact the game, Elise does to some certain degree with her E in spider form.

Jayce less he is more indiviually different for the player, despite his Gate he provides for his team.

FlamingFrostbite

11-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestBilbo View Post
She is, was glad about her release.
How far back are we talking here? Because I'd like to throw Fizz, Jayce(a hammer that turns into a cannon c'mon now) , Hecarim, Kha Zix, Rengar, Nocturne, Leona, Orianna, Rumble, Sejuani, Skarner, Syndra, Elise, and Zyra out on the table. These are all the champions with Unique and interesting play styles since I joined the League.

Yoshiro

11-29-2012

Yep the champions are becoming stale. Its' PVP game Riot probably doesn't want to make OP utility for champions. Pantheon global and TF global gone. Too many newbies so Riot can't have OP utility.