[Discussion] Dominion and its Bleeding Playerbase

First Riot Post
12345 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FOODFOOD

11-29-2012

(This thread will be referencing @RiotNome 's statements here: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...21272#31421272 )

Hello,

I wanted to address the issue of our beloved game mode, Dominion, and its "hemorrhaging" playerbase. I keep seeing people on the forums talking about how they're quitting Dominion forever, or they're "gone," or other various words to describe their potential (though probably not real) permanent hiatus of Dominion.

What do you all think of this? Do you think Dominion is actually hemorrhaging players? Have you yourself felt as though you just don't want to play anymore? What are YOUR thoughts on how to keep people in this game mode? We know Riot's opinion on Ranked Dominion - it's not ready yet. There are even some people here that agree with the decision to not yet implement it (sad as it is, I'm one of them). For the sake of conversation, let's not mention Ranked Dominion as a current option to attract or keep players.

I had a theory that Blackfire Torch is actually bringing people to Dominion.

Think about it.

Nome said that the Dominion community is bleeding players. These are not the forum-going, semi-high-to-high-elo players. These are the low elo and/or "casual" people that are leaving.

So, in comes a few strong things:
Blackfire Torch - a strong, strong mage item.
Teemo - A super fun, very strong champ that is widely known
Mage Viability - Mages are fun champs to play. Always have been, always will be. They make things go BOOM.

Now, you're a casual player. You like winning (though losing is okay in moderation). Dominion is the place to be right now. You have one of the most well known champs in league being insanely strong, and there is an item that makes the most fun character archetype even more fun. I think BFT may actually be attracting more players than it's forcing out.

I think we need more ways to make this mode FUN. Even though we on the forums are the most vocal (and probably among the higher of elos for the most part), we're actually the minority. We need ways to make the fun champions more fun, make items more accessible and diverse, and generally improve the balance of this mode through any means possible. While it may suck now for the semi-high-to-high-elo players, this stuff is really what we need. And you can bet we probably won't get Ranked until that happens.

IMO.

Anyways - your thoughts? How do you propose we keep people playing this game mode, or add more to replace the hemorrhage?

EDIT: Okay guys, there are 100x10^n threads complaining about BFT. If you want to post just to complain about it, go to those threads. This one is about keeping people in Dominion and attracting new players. If you want to talk about BFT, at least relate it to the topic.

EDIT2: Someone bumped this thread, which is awesome. Some of this is a tad outdated, but the core concept is still there. So, if you're wondering about why BFT was mentioned so much, look at the time-stamp.

urmamasllama

11-29-2012

i said it before the changes started. i knew the changes coming would be big and i warned everyone posting here that if they *****ed like players were doing on TT i would hunt them down. well guess what i've got my multitool in my hand right now. so if all of you complaining about BFT don't sit down, shut up, and wait a patch. i will make you fear can openers.

boomshackalak

11-29-2012

Quote:
Teemo - A super fun, very strong champ that is widely known
The problem is, he is fun for the one playing him. For the 5 people facing him, he's as anti-fun as it gets. I've taken a break from dominion due to the fact that Teemo is strong.

And I don't really think buffing AP champs through items is a great idea. There are already strong AP champs on this map, and they just become too strong. DoT AP champions, which BFT benefits the most, were for the most part decent as it was. Now there is an even bigger pool of overpowered champions.

I'd like to see bans in blind pick, implemented kinda like map bans in SC2 (you pick a set of champions you don't want to see in the game before you even get into queue). The balance is not that bad, once you get rid of the top tier champions.

MyDeadGrandma

11-29-2012

I think I've finally stopped caring. The dwindling playerbase is being replaced by a bunch of bleach-drinkers.

Give me ranked already so I have an objective measure of authority with which to abuse people.

Yes I just got out of a bad match.

FOODFOOD

11-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomshackalak View Post
The problem is, he is fun for the one playing him. For the 5 people facing him, he's as anti-fun as it gets. I've taken a break from dominion due to the fact that Teemo is strong.

And I don't really think buffing AP champs through items is a great idea. There are already strong AP champs on this map, and they just become too strong. DoT AP champions, which BFT benefits the most, were for the most part decent as it was. Now there is an even bigger pool of overpowered champions.

I'd like to see bans in blind pick, implemented kinda like map bans in SC2 (you pick a set of champions you don't want to see in the game before you even get into queue). The balance is not that bad, once you get rid of the top tier champions.
First, pretend Teemo wasn't in every single game of Dominion. Twice. I think we only think he's that bad because we see him ALL THE FREAKING TIME and he's so strong. He's being abused right now. However, to casual players, they don't know he's being abused. They just play him because he's fun, cute, and strong.

Second, a lot of new players want so badly for their "mains" on SR to work in Dominion. I want Kennen and Viktor to work SO BADLY. They're... okay in Dominion. How can we make them work? We can't just flat buff them, because we have to take into account other modes. Itemization is the only real thing we can do, outside of auras and other Dominion specific events.

smXho

11-29-2012

What a joke, i spent 15 minutes to write a reply, clicked the wrong button and gone! Anyway, I will shorten it...

Like Sauron said, BFT should have been hotfixed because its causing a lot of grief due to it being overpowered (RIOT agreeed), and combine with a delayed patch (another week of BFT), its hard to not upset your potential player base into raging. Its not fun running into BFT Teemo 10 games in a row and loose, because there is not much you can do about it.

Season 3 is coming, a lot of changes is coming. I know Nome does not have a say on every single Dominion related things, but i also feel he does not have the full grasp of the problem some of us see, here I will list them out my thoughts

• Bugs - Cursor bug (appreciate if it can't be fixed), graphics bugs (disconnect / general), disappearing skillshot from fog bug, etc.
  • The quest - 20 nexus health is frustrating when it pops up in the worst time during the game
  • Forum posts - Stop moving post into Dominion from GD
  • Ranked - We deserve it, ranked will allow us to have a draft mode without long queues, and a competitive environment for a competitive pvp mode.
  • Spotlight - Promote with news etc about Dominatedominion.com / dominion torunament etc. better, don't just keep us under the table.
  • Points - Why a system which promotes competitive play between own team, thus reducing teamwork, crucial in this mode?
  • Balance - RIOT already working hard on it, just feels sometimes RIOT needs to listen to players more.

I have a small brain, so this is all I can remember what i wrote lol

Stark Midnight

11-29-2012

Yea but Riot would never take down the servers just to implement a fix for the black sheep that is dominion. If this was SR, BFT would have been fixed in the first week. The item is overpowered as all hell.

Purpleskoal

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-29-2012

BFT is toxic. I hate playing against it, and when you build it on the champ you're playing, it feels like you've entered a cheat code.

Redenbacher

11-29-2012

Nome is right, though. BFT is a small issue facing the number of real issues that face Dominion. Why is it so hard to just 'deal' with it for now? I love it. I think it's hysterical. I've used it, I've countered it, I've enjoyed it's ability to COMPLETELY FLIP the power arguments for Dominion. Before it arrived: "Dominion is a deathmatch run by Bruisers. Rage at Darius!" After it arrived: "OMG TEEMO. SINGED. HOLY MONKEY BALLS MAGES." I've laughed heartily.

I'd also like to point out that Teemo is not a fun champion to play. Not with regard to being unique or interesting. His abilities and playstyle are actually pretty mundane.

He's 'fun' to play only at other player's expense. He's fun to play because you get to say, "Ha ha! You can't catch me! Ha ha! Ran in to a mushroom! Ha ha! You're blind!" That's why he's fun to play, in my opinion. Those of you who really love Teemo - think about that. Think about why you enjoy playing him. I find it hard to believe there is any other reason.

Other champions have kits that make their play by play decisions interesting. They feel good because you can out-play your opponent through juking, and landing difficult abilities with powerful effects, or when you're positioned just right at the right time.

But that's besides the point.

These are issues that don't help Dominion, but aren't the primary driver for it's shortcomings. There's so much complaining going on, and not pointed at the right subject. Why are we not cheering for changes that are FINALLY happening? Why are we berating Riot for experimenting with the game mode in an effort to learn what works and what doesn't?

...just because it's a live environment? QA doesn't care about what's balanced and what's not. They only care whether or not the item works as intended, mechanically. The PBE would be a testing ground - except the test base on the PBE is too small. We are Dominion's only hope. No one else sees this?

We should be embracing the opportunity to make Dominion the best it can be.

FOODFOOD

11-29-2012

*claps*
Well said, Red.

Be the change you want to see in the [Dominion] world.

12345 ... 8