@BDSandM, DQ and possibly Amberleh

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Colonel J

11-30-2012

It pisses me off how many people like her. There is 0 reason too.

The only answer I can come up with is blue hair.

Jesus the Friend

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel J View Post
It pisses me off how many people like her. There is 0 reason too.

The only answer I can come up with is blue hair.
Probably because she is a perfect character for awkward young males to aspire to have.

Reasons?
Extremely soft spoken
Submissive
Highly intelligent
Depicted as having a fit and nubile body (Cough)
Socially detached (LIKE THEM!)
Mysterious

Her character in the series is very subtle, in addition to the sledgehammer-to-the-face parts like "I dislike meat", she had many nuances to her. There's a reason she is one of the most replicated characters in all of anime-dom, to the point of having single handedly created a character archetype.
Rei <3

Colonel J

11-30-2012

I doubt the main reason people like her is because she's every man's perfect woman, obedient, doesn't talk or talk back, pretty, etc. Though this may be a subconscious attraction.

I still think it's blue hair. I highly doubt she'd be as popular a character if her hair was brown. Her character would probably be better with brown hair because of her connection with Yui.

Einheria Valesti

11-30-2012

It's because the other main female of the series Asuka is a raging ***** and annoying as ****. On top of the reasons already listed

Amberleh

11-30-2012

I actually always assumed that all of the characters in Evangelion were extreme versions of character archetypes that already existed prior to the series, you know, being that it's a deconstruction and all.

That being said. JTF, I challenge you to watch Revolutionary Girl Utena (or Shoujo Kakumei Utena, if you prefer the Japanese names.)

It probably the most 'feminist' anime ever as well as another deconstruction series, although it deconstructs fairy tales rather than an anime-specific genre. It's about a girl who, when she was young, was saved by a prince. Now she aspires to becoming a prince herself.

It's all about adolecense and not being what society expects you to be and despite being partly a magical girl series it's actually pretty dark- Not the same kind of dark as say Madoka. It's closer to Evangelion in the way it deconstructs things because it's much more thought-provoking, psychological, and character-driven than Madoka, which just uses the characters as a device rather than as characters you can relate to.

CatchandKiss

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-30-2012

I thought I liked Rei, and that I wanted to hold her and keep her safe - but through an early relationship I learned that was really only my inner hero complex talking. I loved the idea of helping her more than I loved her.

Upon further review it was obvious that the #1 Evangelion GOAT was always Class Rep Hikari.

Jesus the Friend

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberleh View Post
I actually always assumed that all of the characters in Evangelion were extreme versions of character archetypes that already existed prior to the series, you know, being that it's a deconstruction and all.
They are all indeed deconstruction of pre-existing archetypes, however it was so successful that they created new archetypes, the most successful of these was Ayanami Rei.

If you look at Macross and Gundam pre-EVA, you'll see what I mean.

Quote:
That being said. JTF, I challenge you to watch Revolutionary Girl Utena (or Shoujo Kakumei Utena, if you prefer the Japanese names.)
I've heard of it, primarily from feminists that recommend it because they conflate feminist with women.
Feminism is a virus.
Females are a sex.

Anyway, it deals primarily with emotions through symbolism... and female perception of sexual intercourse... through symbolism, maturity from teenage years through symbolism. It's not even a feminist show, it's just a girly show. It's like Sakura Cardcaptors but even girlier. A quick google search shows that it has 39 episodes, I thought it had more, hmmm. I really don't want to watch it, I've never met a male that didn't think it was complete garbage... and I've met many females who think it's the greatest thing ever.

I don't have anything better to do for awhile though. Hmm.

Amberleh

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus the Friend View Post
They are all indeed deconstruction of pre-existing archetypes, however it was so successful that they created new archetypes, the most successful of these was Ayanami Rei.

If you look at Macross and Gundam pre-EVA, you'll see what I mean.

I've heard of it, primarily from feminists that recommend it because they conflate feminist with women.
Feminism is a virus.
Females are a sex.

Anyway, it deals primarily with emotions through symbolism... and female perception of sexual intercourse... through symbolism, maturity from teenage years through symbolism. It's not even a feminist show, it's just a girly show. It's like Sakura Cardcaptors but even girlier. A quick google search shows that it has 39 episodes, I thought it had more, hmmm. I really don't want to watch it, I've never met a male that didn't think it was complete garbage... and I've met many females who think it's the greatest thing ever.

I don't have anything better to do for awhile though. Hmm.
Funny, there are a LOT of guys on My Anime List that actually like it quite a bit. And there's a large difference between feminine and girly. CCS is girly, Utena is feminine. In Sailor Moon, the anime is girly, the manga is feminine. But I think what you're trying to say is that feminine stuff is harder to watch for guys than girly stuff, and you would be correct. Girly stuff is cutesy sparkle desu, feminine deals with emotions and a lot of other issues, as you stated in your description of Utena.

Also, I know you'll hate Utena, and it will make you writhe in agony, which is why I 'challenge' you to watch it.

Jesus the Friend

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberleh View Post
Funny, there are a LOT of guys on My Anime List that actually like it quite a bit.
Gays don't count.

Quote:
Also, I know you'll hate Utena, and it will make you writhe in agony, which is why I 'challenge' you to watch it.
Okay then, let me see what we can "trade" watch.

Hmmm, I don't really watch long series, so getting you to watch something that's worth 39 episodes of Utena will be rough, I'll think about it and then we can swap-watch.

Quote:
And there's a large difference between feminine and girly. CCS is girly, Utena is feminine.
They're both SUPER girly... even the title is "Revolutionary GIRL Utena"

Evidence;

Amberleh

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus the Friend View Post
Gays don't count.

Okay then, let me see what we can "trade" watch.

Hmmm, I don't really watch long series, so getting you to watch something that's worth 39 episodes of Utena will be rough, I'll think about it and then we can swap-watch.

They're both SUPER girly... even the title is "Revolutionary GIRL Utena"

Evidence;
Honestly a 26 episode series would probably suffice for me- Most of the more 'gar' and bloody or whatnot series are going to be about that length and whatever you pick will probably be harder for me to watch than Utena for you. Longer series nowadays tend to be tame shounen series.

But keep in mind I'm not going to watch a hentai though I figure that's pretty obvious. There aren't any that are more than like 6 episodes anyway. And I do have a site at my disposal that gives me instant reviews and descriptions and genre tags of everything, so I know what's going to be particularly bad. But I'm willing to suffer a little for this.

Actually, a moe desu series would probably be 10x more painful for me than anything bloody or gory, but I think you hate desu series anyway so I'm in the clear.