Stonebeard Jackson, the Pirate Defender

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Korlack J

04-18-2012

Preface: This champion concept was made many many months ago before I took a long hiatus from this game. Seeing that I've gotten back into this wonderful game, I decided to revive Stonebeard Jackson. I have made many changes prior to posting this, so it will be quite different from the previous post many many months ago.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After seeing Rammus's ninja skin. I came to a thought; If you look at all the champions in the League of Legends & their skins, there is not ONE Pirate Tank! And that's why Ninjas currently own Pirates in League of Legends; better team composition!!

So I came to the idea that I would make my own pirate tank; with help from the community of course! Alright so I'll just lay out so concept ideas and numbers and maybe someone good with stories can write up a Lore? Will try my best to constantly update this.

Stonebeard Jackson, The Defender of the Pirates
Health - 430 (+98) [2096 at Lv18]
Mana - 200 (+40) [880 at Lv18]
Damage - 40 (+1.5) [67 at Lv18]
Attack Speed - 0.450 (+3.5%)
Range - 125
Health Regen - 7 Health/5 Second (+0.33)
Mana Regen - 2 Mana/5 Second (+0.33)
Armor - 25 (+2) [59 at Lv18]
Magic Resistance - 30
Movement Speed - 300

Main Role is a Tank obviously. All his abilities do not scale off AD or AP so builds revolving around AD or AP are useless. He is meant to be a tank, CC enemies, initiate team fights, mitigate damage, save allies.

Abilities
[Innate] Stonebeard's Pride
Stonebeard Jackson is a very prideful person and celebrates triumphs all the time. Every time Stonebeard gains a kill or assist, he gains 1.5 Armor and Magic Resistance.
sistance)
There is no cap to the bonus gained, but I've never had more than 50 kills and assists total in 1 game, so I'm unsure how this could be abused.
4/20 Edit: Reduced Armor & Magic resistance gain value to 1.5, just a slight nerf.

Q Pirate's Compass & Sword
[Passive] Stonebeard's magical compass guides him to battle, giving him 10/15/20/25/30 movement speed when in combat.
[Active] Stonebeard slashes his enemy with his ancient sword, dealing magic damage equal to 10/20/30/40/50% of Stonebeard's Armor or Magic Resistance, whichever is higher.
Range : 150 (Just a little over auto-attack range)
Mana Cost : 30/50/70/90/110
Cooldown : 20/17/14/11/8 seconds

The passive works just like an opposite version of Boots of Mobility. By Boots of Mobility's definition, combat is when you are dealing AND receiving damage.
4/20 Edit : The new active now encourages players to build tanky items and is complemented by Stonebeard's passive

W Sea Chant
[Active] Stonebeard sings an ancient pirate's chant that grants all allied units in a 700 unit radius of himself doubled Health Regen/5 sec for 3/5/7/9/11 seconds. Enemy units in a 700 unit radius of Stonebeard also take 25/30/35/40/45% reduced Healing & Regeneration effects for 2/3/4/5/6 seconds.
Mana Cost : 40/60/80/100/120
Cooldown : 30/26/22/18/16 seconds

Instead of a heal, I wanted to give Stonebeard a Health Regen steroid and also a healing debuff.
4/20 Edit : Removed the Mana part of the ability; Increased radius range and Health Regen/5 sec buff duration, decreased the debuff duration and value. Also increased cooldown time

E Alluring Sails
[Active] Stonebeard taunts a target enemy for 0.5/0.75/1/1.25/1.5 seconds. The taunted enemy also takes damage equal to 30/40/50/60/70% of the total amount of Armor & Magic Resistance Stonebeard has.
Range : 250/275/300/325/350 (Equal to Rammus's taunt's range at Rank 4, just over Rammus's taunt's range at Rank 5)
Mana Cost : 50/60/70/80/90
Cooldown : 16/14/12/10/8 seconds

Yes, a taunt. One of the best CC's a tank could have. If Stonebeard were to be implemented, he'd have the shortest taunt duration out of all the champions. Which is fair since the ability does a respectable amount of damage.

R Might of The Pirates
[Active] Stonebeard roars into the sky, preparing his allies for combat by increasing their Armor and Magic Resistance by 10/20/30 for 7/9/11 seconds. Stonebeard's immense roar also fears all nearby enemies for 0.5/1.0/1.5 seconds.
Range : 350/500/750
Mana Cost : 75/150/225
Cooldown : 90/70/50 seconds

Another Armor & Magic Resistance steroid. Short CC great for interrupting channels and destroying enemy team fight survivors. If Stonebeard were to be implemented, I'd use this to initiate teamfights.
4/20 Edit : Decreased Armor & Magic resistance buff value by significant amount, also halved the range of the skill.

As you can see a lot of Armor and Magic Resistance steroids. Great amount of CC, and low on damage output. Ability to mitigate damage and semi-heal, all in all, great recipe for a tank imo.

Theorycrafting
I believe the best core for him would be Glacial Shroud, Ionian Boots of Cooldown or Mercury Treads, and Banshee's Veil. The CDR to get rank 5 Sea Chant to last practically forever. And then mana to be able to spam it. Spirit Visage sounds good on this guy too. Then afterwards, Thornmail/FoN/GA/Sunfire/whatever tank item floats your boat.Starting with boots + 1 ward seems like a good starting item set for him. He has low base movement speed anyways

Mainly what I was going for was for a Stonebeard player to max Sea Chant & Taunt first. Leveling Compass&Sword last. And of course, grabbing the ultimate whenever possible.

Shaella

04-18-2012

First up.

HIS NAME IS AWESOME. Stonebeard. Mother****ing. Jackson. God****. Thats like a action hero name.

Passive: This is.. Insanely strong for a passive. Infinite scaling abilities of any kind are scary to me. Like, its probably not -that- insnae, it'll be around 20-30 on average.. I dunno. I just don't like infinite scaling mechanics

Q: .. This is just really hard to understand. It may just be a bit too esoteric, and %true damage is.. Always bad design. Always. The way you describe it makes it seem ungodly overpowered. 700 true damage? Jesus. Thats a Cho'gath ult. And at least 200 true damage. Just too strong.

W: That debuff lasts WAY too long, 9 secs to a whole team? Jesus, I'd be antsy about giving a healing debuff to the whole other team for 4 seconds. On an ult. Crazy op.

E: This is fine.

R: Gives -way- too much of a bonus to allies, give half of that to allies and its probably more balanced. Pretty cool, as long as the fear is in a small AOE and not the 1500.

Esplin6296

04-18-2012

the q passive should work outside of combat not during. the active does way to much for a Q. besides this is a tank champ it should not be dealing so much and plus u have quiet allot of buffs for a tank. a tank usually has 1 and u have 2. The W the part that affects enemy champions is 2 much for -health regen, please fix that. besides that this would be a decent tank, not the best

Korlack J

04-20-2012

Thank you for your replies! I have read and taken them into thought. Will be working on Stonebeard Jackson to make him more balanced!

Korlack J

04-20-2012

bump

Tovoy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-25-2012

i approve