Why can't we have champions with a 'permanent' pet or twin, @Riot ?

12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BestBilbo

11-28-2012

I'm aware the engine isn't capable of controlling/manipulating 'Non-Champion-Units', though this does NOT mean Riot shouldn't consider champions with some sort of pet/twin system using 'Alt Click' for commands, similar like Annie's Tibbers or Shaco Clone.

Quote:
1:

- A champion with a 'permanent pet' as a passive, controllable by using Alt-click commands. Keeping the pet alive is key to the champion's playstyle, such as that when the pet is alive his or her's abilities are alot stronger.

Obviously, the champion should have mechanics to keep the pet healthy, either with abilities to quickly re-position the pet or have mechanincs such as: X amount of damage done heals pet for X amount.
Imagine this could make a fun jungle DPS champion, some archer with a Boar, Wolf, Bear as pet tanking the jungle, while he/she sits back farming 'em jungle creeps. You could send the pet counterjungling a bit aswell, just stealing big wraith or something, but you do risk getting it killed, should be cool right ?

Quote:
2:

- A champion with a clone/twin. Control the clone using Alt-click, casting your ult transfers you to control the other clone/twin. Both have their own skill set and cannot get more than X units apart.
Engine-wise, I guess this would be harder to develop, might not even be able to do it at all.

But it's a cool idea and idea 1 is cool aswell, IMO and idea 1 could be done FOR SURE.
----------------

TLDR: Champions with pets COULD easily be done despite the lack of ability to manipulate 'Non-champion-units' that League's engine can't handle, they could still do it by 'Alt-Click commands' Some cool ideas are in the thread.

PS: Credits go to Enai Siaion, he got me startled to make this thread.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmaonade200 View Post
too much micro management needed and would play into the whole "anti-fun" thing Zileas has going
Micro management could be reduced by abilities that teleport your pet next to you, also, I got ideas about a pet that would serve as an extra on a champion, the champion get's stronger and should have more use of his abilities when he's close to his pet.

I'm not aiming for a 'Hey this pet instakills me yet If I kill the pet I don't even get a champion kill' wich can be the case in Dota.

EDIT 12 Febuary 2013: Welp - someone just necro'd this. - I'm aware Quinn is going to be released soon, on the PBE atleast. I really hope her bird/pet Valor will be like this.

Bossob

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-29-2012

I remember reading a red reply on a question like this a year ago. I believe it had something to do with how they couldn't come up with a good balance for a pet.

I think it centers around how a real "pet" splits up the focus between controlling the player and the pet. So either you would get essentially a permanent Yorick ghost (which would be boring) or have to micromanage 2 units at once (which is extremely difficult).

In addition, the consequences of tower-diving, going into a 1 vs 3 to kill an enemy on low health, etc are significantly lower because you can just send your pet in without having your champ dying.

Lastly, I believe there were programming issues (ex: which buttons would control the pet's abilities? How would these differ from the champion ability buttons, etc)

EnmaTheRedBane

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-29-2012

don't forget heimerdinger!
1 - he has as permanent enough pet - ish... it just can't move or be controlled though...
2 - if you set a pair of turrets down you'll have identical twins! that you can't control...
or... close enough?

The One Soraka

11-29-2012

please leave warlocks, hunters, beastmasters, and enchanters in warcraft, or evequest. We don't need those kinds of pets/classes in the league.

Alchemi

11-29-2012

Because this isnt Starcraft II!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BestBilbo

11-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossob View Post
I remember reading a red reply on a question like this a year ago. I believe it had something to do with how they couldn't come up with a good balance for a pet.

I think it centers around how a real "pet" splits up the focus between controlling the player and the pet. So either you would get essentially a permanent Yorick ghost (which would be boring) or have to micromanage 2 units at once (which is extremely difficult).

In addition, the consequences of tower-diving, going into a 1 vs 3 to kill an enemy on low health, etc are significantly lower because you can just send your pet in without having your champ dying.

Lastly, I believe there were programming issues (ex: which buttons would control the pet's abilities? How would these differ from the champion ability buttons, etc)
Micromanaging like in DOTA, RTS-Styled is not possible in League, they've said that that isn't possible due to League's Engine.

Also, I don't think such thing like a 'permanent' pet like Yorick ghost would be boring, imagine sending your giant bear or wolf into the enemy jungle, would still require some micro-managing with 'Alt-Click commands' so obviously, this character would have a higher skill floor as it would require to mind your positioning of both characters.

Balance wise ? Enough mechanincs to prevent such toxic towerdiving such as: Your pet takes double damage from towers.

Sure you can still dive, but what if your abilities as champ are doubled in strength when your pet is alive, you risk being weaker when you send in that pet to towerdive.

It's basically what I say in my OP, it could be done, with 'Alt-Click' commands, as well as it could be balanced and not be boring along the road.

BestBilbo

11-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Soraka View Post
please leave warlocks, hunters, beastmasters, and enchanters in warcraft, or evequest. We don't need those kinds of pets/classes in the league.
So now you are trying to say such characters come from there and belong there, could you seriously give me one good reason why a character shouldn't be implemented in League.

I love the idea of having and controling a pet wich is huge importance to the champion.

BestBilbo

11-29-2012

I'm off, bump !

Jaynon

11-29-2012

Thought about this alot honestly. I think having a pet would be one of the funnest thing in this game.
Easy solutions for the problems.
1) Range to how far pet can be away from champ, and reduced stats for both when away from champ.
2) Leagues engine, bs, annie has a tibbers same concept
3) Since champ is pet reliant, her ability buttons shld mainly be for pet commands, passive buffs for when those commands are down. Leave one for champ attack.
4) Dbl turret damage, makes complete useless for solo lane pushing. Maybe increased not double tho.
5) Harder micro, rlly horrible excuse there. Pet just needs set to attack champs target with alt clicking option. I mean if your attacking the adc you dont want your pet fighting minions during lane phase.
6) If pet dies, champ attacks change till it respawns at set interval or with return to base.

BestBilbo

11-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenriSulfarian View Post
Thought about this alot honestly. I think having a pet would be one of the funnest thing in this game.
Easy solutions for the problems.
1) Range to how far pet can be away from champ, and reduced stats for both when away from champ.
2) Leagues engine, bs, annie has a tibbers same concept
3) Since champ is pet reliant, her ability buttons shld mainly be for pet commands, passive buffs for when those commands are down. Leave one for champ attack.
4) Dbl turret damage, makes complete useless for solo lane pushing. Maybe increased not double tho.
5) Harder micro, rlly horrible excuse there. Pet just needs set to attack champs target with alt clicking option. I mean if your attacking the adc you dont want your pet fighting minions during lane phase.
6) If pet dies, champ attacks change till it respawns at set interval or with return to base.
^

This. 'Reduced stats' depending on range would probably be best, this would make sending your pet anywhere on the map possible (Funny for the quick counterjungling I mention) while being significantally weaker when you are going for this.

12345 ... 6