Experiencing Latency

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Royal Pancakes

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal Twinkie View Post
Oh snap.....so there is an issue on Charters/Your end for sure. You are only going to LA, so your latency should be MUUUUCH lower.

A few things that can impact cable modem services....

If the signal strength to the cable modem is too strong or too low. DOCSIS, the protocol used in cable modem services, is particularly sensitive and requires the dB to be within a pretty narrow window. Is your home being hit at the D-Mark, the box outside on the house, with proper signal strength? Is the run from D-Mark to modem over 50 feet of line? They can come out and test this, and in needed put on an attenuator to increase or decrease the signal strength, to hopefully bring it in line with spec.

A fitting on the COAX being bad, or not properly put on, can cause this issue. Any compromise to the COAX itself will also cause an issue. Again, cable modem service being EXTREMELY sensitive to line condition....

Did you happen to notice the issue start when weather changed, hot or cold? If there is any compromise to the center conductor or dielectric on any line from the mainline outside to your home, weather change can set it off. When the lines get hot or cold they expand and contract. A very small compromise, in scale to what I am talking about, in stable weather can become large in a weather change. Due to the contraction and/or expansion of the line itself.....

Basically what I am getting at is you absolutely have an issue with Charter. Your cable modem simply might need to be replaced, or it can be an issue with the line, tap, fittings, etc....
Ok, I'm using a NETGEAR Wireless Cable Gateway CG3000D - A router( I don't have a modem, they didn't give me one "Modem was not needed" and it is right next to my computer. The issue just started recently after patch 3. There was no weather change in my place, still cold as balls. It's been freezing for 4 months now, and for the last 3 months something, it's fine.

Not sure what's the D-mark and stuff is

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rueciel View Post
I am using Comcast Cable in Alabama (I know.)
I never expected results as bad as 1300ms though.
Yea, 1300 is pretty ridiculous. Not the highest I have seen, that would be 5600ms....I cried for the player.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernitive View Post
Ok, I'm using a NETGEAR Wireless Cable Gateway CG3000D - A router( I don't have a modem, they didn't give me one "Modem was not needed" and it is right next to my computer. The issue just started recently after patch 3. There was no weather change in my place, still cold as balls. It's been freezing for 4 months now, and for the last 3 months something, it's fine.

Not sure what's the D-mark and stuff is
That Netgear is your cable modem and router combo, those are pretty common.

The D-Mark is the box outside, where the lines that come from Charter contact your home. Unless you have JUST the one service and one line. Then it will be a single line the entire way.

Royal Pancakes

12-19-2012

Quote:
That Netgear is your cable modem and router combo, those are pretty common.

The D-Mark is the box outside, where the lines that come from Charter contact your home. Unless you have JUST the one service and one line. Then it will be a single line the entire way.
Well, there are several wires coming from outside to the inside of my house... so I guess there is more than 1?

Rueciel

12-19-2012

Another test:
We estimate your uplink as having 670 msec of buffering. This level can in some situations prove somewhat high, and you may experience degraded performance when performing interactive tasks such as web-surfing while simultaneously conducting large uploads. Real-time applications, such as games or audio chat, may also work poorly when conducting large uploads at the same time.

We estimate your downlink as having 370 msec of buffering. This level may serve well for maximizing speed while minimizing the impact of large transfers on other traffic.

I guess it changes pretty fast. Why would they jerk their system around like that.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernitive View Post
Well, there are several wires coming from outside to the inside of my house... so I guess there is more than 1?
Yup.

The two you would want to focus on are the line coming from Charter outside, a drop or from an in ground pedestal. Then from the splitter and D-Mark outside, the line going to your cable modem.

I highly suggest having Charter send out a tech to investigate. I believe Charter is still issuing the WaveTek CLI meter, which is capable of taking a number of measurements and performing tests from your end, and really anywhere on the network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rueciel View Post
Another test:
We estimate your uplink as having 670 msec of buffering. This level can in some situations prove somewhat high, and you may experience degraded performance when performing interactive tasks such as web-surfing while simultaneously conducting large uploads. Real-time applications, such as games or audio chat, may also work poorly when conducting large uploads at the same time.

We estimate your downlink as having 370 msec of buffering. This level may serve well for maximizing speed while minimizing the impact of large transfers on other traffic.

I guess it changes pretty fast. Why would they jerk their system around like that.
Yes, it is dynamic and will change very quickly. They do it to help even out network load.....not the best for gamers.

I should also mention that buffers are inherently good, on a network level, and are even required. When used properly they aren't even seen and actually increase performance, but when used wrong, they dog your performance.

Royal Pancakes

12-19-2012

Quote:
Yup.

The two you would want to focus on are the line coming from Charter outside, a drop or from an in ground pedestal. Then from the splitter and D-Mark outside, the line going to your cable modem.

I highly suggest having Charter send out a tech to investigate. I believe Charter is still issuing the WaveTek CLI meter, which is capable of taking a number of measurements and performing tests from your end, and really anywhere on the network.

Yes, it is dynamic and will change very quickly. They do it to help even out network load.....not the best for gamers.
Sorry I am new to all this D box thingy, can you put it in simpler terms? xD

PenguinX3

12-19-2012

I'm having this issue with almost all my online games. Started at the exact same time I learned LoL was getting the "Attempting to Reconnect" issue in game. This was back in October 2 days after the Elise patch. I get the issue in LoL, Smite, L4d2. Only one that works so far is Minecraft which is odd. I've been going through the technical support and trying to get help for it. Even made a post with pictures, dxdiag, and each step saying how I come up to this issue. I've called my ISP and they haven't found any issues on their end. It's upsetting that I haven't been able to play a game since October.

Rueciel

12-19-2012

Hmm well, thanks for the info i guess. Its nice to know these things.
Even though i still wonder if its just my end. Ive been playing online all day today with no problems, until i tried League.
Maybe league is just more sensitive to buffering than other games, since it demands as close to real-time as possible.

Thunderclese22

12-19-2012

Okay so this is going over my head in a lot of ways haha. Thanks again, Twinkie!... but I'm going to have my good friend take a look at this thread and let him handle it I'm just a gamer and I'm getting wrapped up in things i can't comprehend lol. Good luck everyone, hope to see you on the Fields of Justice (lag free!)