Experiencing Latency

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderclese22 View Post
It seems pretty generic when grouped with the other posts in this thread, but ever since the 1st S3 patch (new items, shop, ect.) I've been getting very odd lag spikes randomly in game. Very few times i get a game or 2 without the spikes, only to see them continue in the next game. I could probably be more specific with my answer but I'm not much of a techy . Another thing i noticed is after champ select, i load in a lot slower than i ever had before that patch. I've tried re-pairing from the client and re-installing from scratch, neither of those impacted the problem in anyway.
The loading screen is mostly impacted by GPU power, and data access speeds to the mass storage, HDD or SSD. During the loading phase the game is actually building out and loading into GPU memory preparing for launch.

Have you updated your video drivers? I suggest this, as the loading being noticeably slower, normally wouldn't indicate a latency issue.

Also, run this test and post the results url, and attach a DxDiag to the forum.

http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/

Royal Pancakes

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rueciel View Post
I can also see that my ISP is buffering my uplink at 570/ms. (I assume this buffering is similar to the old nagle algorithm that 56k used) It warns me that this is slightly excessive.
Would you think that any ISP would actually listen to a request to remove buffering?
They are doing this for their own benefit, i find it hard to believe that they would change anything just because i ask them to.
Well, at least they reset my router, which decrease my 470 to 280 now.. but still pretty high

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernitive View Post
Well, at least they reset my router, which decrease my 470 to 280 now.. but still pretty high
I might have missed it, or forgot, but where in gods name are you connecting from? Also, a simple reset on your equipment shouldn't cause that massive of a drop in latency unless it is having another issue......

Royal Pancakes

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal Twinkie View Post
I might have missed it, or forgot, but where in gods name are you connecting from? Also, a simple reset on your equipment shouldn't cause that massive of a drop in latency unless it is having another issue......
I have no clue, My Provider said that they reset my connection on their side, then I ran the test again, and it.... drop to that..

Rueciel

12-19-2012

Wow, just ran another test... seriously disturbing results.

Quote:
We estimate your uplink as having 630 msec of buffering. This level can in some situations prove somewhat high, and you may experience degraded performance when performing interactive tasks such as web-surfing while simultaneously conducting large uploads. Real-time applications, such as games or audio chat, may also work poorly when conducting large uploads at the same time.

We estimate your downlink as having 1300 msec of buffering. This is quite high, and you may experience substantial disruption to your network performance when performing interactive tasks such as web-surfing while simultaneously conducting large downloads. With such a buffer, real-time applications such as games or audio chat can work quite poorly when conducting large downloads at the same time.
Are these numbers dynamic? Will they change often? Can i assume my network is sick today and it might be better tomorrow? Or should i expect 1300ms buffering forever. Thats terrible.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

12-19-2012

Quote:
I have no clue, My Provider said that they reset my connection on their side, then I ran the test again, and it.... drop to that..
Who is the provider? Also, what I meant by where you are connecting from, is where do you live? I would assume outside of the USA by the latency.....

Quote:
Wow, just ran another test... seriously disturbing results.
Thanks for doing that....

This tells me your ISP uses dynamic buffers, they decrease or increase based off their network usage. Not so surprising they are higher right now, as we are about the middle of peak internet traffic for the USA.

Royal Pancakes

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal Twinkie View Post
Who is the provider? Also, what I meant by where you are connecting from, is where do you live? I would assume outside of the USA by the latency.....
I am using Charter
My package is 15mbps download,3mbs upload
I am in Missouri, USA

Rueciel

12-19-2012

How come i havent noticed any lag or latency issues with my other online games?

Just to confirm: A 1300ms download buffer means that i am only recieving sets of packets once every 1300ms? How is it that my in-game ping is only 90-100ms?

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

12-19-2012

Quote:
I am using Charter
My package is 15mbps download,3mbs upload
I am in Missouri, USA
Oh snap.....so there is an issue on Charters/Your end for sure. You are only going to LA, so your latency should be MUUUUCH lower.

A few things that can impact cable modem services....

If the signal strength to the cable modem is too strong or too low. DOCSIS, the protocol used in cable modem services, is particularly sensitive and requires the dB to be within a pretty narrow window. Is your home being hit at the D-Mark, the box outside on the house, with proper signal strength? Is the run from D-Mark to modem over 50 feet of line? They can come out and test this, and if needed put on an attenuator to increase or decrease the signal strength, to hopefully bring it in line with spec.

A fitting on the COAX being bad, or not properly put on, can cause this issue. Any compromise to the COAX itself will also cause an issue. Again, cable modem service being EXTREMELY sensitive to line condition....

Did you happen to notice the issue start when weather changed, hot or cold? If there is any compromise to the center conductor or dielectric on any line from the mainline outside to your home, weather change can set it off. When the lines get hot or cold they expand and contract. A very small compromise, in scale to what I am talking about, in stable weather can become large in a weather change. Due to the contraction and/or expansion of the line itself.....

Basically what I am getting at is you absolutely have an issue with Charter. Your cable modem simply might need to be replaced, or it can be an issue with the line, tap, fittings, etc....

Quote:
How come i havent noticed any lag or latency issues with my other online games?

Just to confirm: A 1300ms download buffer means that i am only recieving sets of packets once every 1300ms? How is it that my in-game ping is only 90-100ms?
League of Legends is EXTREMELY sensitive to packet loss, latency, really anything that impacts that real time performance. This is due to how it is designed and the security features built into it....

Now as for how the buffers work: No, they aren't being held for 1300ms, it can be that long, but is typically shorter as you fill the buffer. The buffers themselves are set by size, the amount of data required to "fill" it. Depending on your connection speed it may fill quickly or it might take awhile. Even in situations where it fills quickly it still adds to your total trip time, you take your normal latency and add onto that your buffer time. Moral of the story? Buffers suck, and I recommend you request it removed....some ISP's are nice and listen...others not so much.

Rueciel

12-19-2012

I am using Comcast Cable in Alabama (I know.)
I never expected results as bad as 1300ms though.