Experiencing Latency

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

hwanikani

12-19-2012

After today's patch, my lag spike is gone. Wonder if this applied to everyone though. Thanks Riot for fixing the issue (at least for me).

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernitive View Post
http://n2.netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu...d8d-a95a#DNSNX
And for tracert, which server should I test?
Here is a list of game servers you should be able to tracert to.

https://support.leagueoflegends.com/...r-ip-addresses

As for your Netalyzer...

The biggest issue I can see, ignoring the DNS setup, is that your uplink has a buffer. When you send data out it isn't being immediately sent to the destination, Riot in this case, it is being held by your ISP until it fills the buffer pool, then being sent out in one large batch. In dynamic applications this will manifest as latency when a Download Buffer, and as packet loss when an Upload Buffer. Basically you are attempting to send out traffic, and Riot is waiting for it, your ISP is just holding onto it until a predefined pool is filled. Not healthy for gaming.

So why do ISP's use buffers? When they have bandwidth limitations, heavy network usage, or a number of other reasons, they deploy buffers. It helps ease the load on their backhaul, the ISP's major pipe to the world. About the only tying you can do here is contact the ISP and see if they will remove the buffers.

Thunderclese22

12-19-2012

I get what twinkie is saying.... but it seems like a pretty big coincidence that it never happened to us before the newer patches, and then all at once it effects us all (in this thread). The difference before the patches and after are like day and night. I never had this problem before and low and behold, others are experiencing it at the same exact time. But what do i know...

The 0regon Trail

12-19-2012

Holy cow, so i'm not alone? I've had internet service technicians over and everything and I haven't been able to find out what the hell is going on... I'm not able to pin an exact date on it but this has been happening to me for a very long time and I have been stuck doing customs and co-ops because of it! (of course currently I can't even get in-game from the Vi patch >_>)

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderclese22 View Post
I get what twinkie is saying.... but it seems like a pretty big coincidence that it never happened to us before the newer patches, and then all at once it effects us all (in this thread). The difference before the patches and after are like day and night. I never had this problem before and low and behold, others are experiencing it at the same exact time. But what do i know...
Patches can do a number of things....

They can invalidate Firewall permissions, even if the application still shows in the permitted application list.
They can change what ports are being used, thus requiring new or different port forwarding to be set.
Anti-virus software, especially McAfee, like to get cranky with major patches, thus causing access issues.

A whole host of things can change with a patch, just one of the MANY things that can cause connectivity issues and make everyone's job harder.

Thunderclese22

12-19-2012

Well I'd like to personally thank you Twinkie, for trying to assist us with this issue. While it appears to have no real conclusion, only time will tell for me i suppose. Thanks again, and maybe sooner or later I'll be able to play again.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderclese22 View Post
Well I'd like to personally thank you Twinkie, for trying to assist us with this issue. While it appears to have no real conclusion, only time will tell for me i suppose. Thanks again, and maybe sooner or later I'll be able to play again.
I will be the first to admit it is literally impossible to resolve every connectivity issue, in mass at least.

In your case, I would be more than willing to look at your problem. I dug through a few pages and didn't see yours.....feel free to update me.

Thunderclese22

12-19-2012

It seems pretty generic when grouped with the other posts in this thread, but ever since the 1st S3 patch (new items, shop, ect.) I've been getting very odd lag spikes randomly in game. Very few times i get a game or 2 without the spikes, only to see them continue in the next game. I could probably be more specific with my answer but I'm not much of a techy . Another thing i noticed is after champ select, i load in a lot slower than i ever had before that patch. I've tried re-pairing from the client and re-installing from scratch, neither of those impacted the problem in anyway.

Royal Pancakes

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal Twinkie View Post
I will be the first to admit it is literally impossible to resolve every connectivity issue, in mass at least.

In your case, I would be more than willing to look at your problem. I dug through a few pages and didn't see yours.....feel free to update me.
This is my tracert, do you see any problems?
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Bao>tracert 66.150.148.65

Tracing route to 66.150.148.65 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 8 ms 7 ms 19 ms 10.163.0.1
2 15 ms 8 ms 11 ms dtr01olvemo-tge-0-3-0-2.olve.mo.charter.com [96.
34.52.76]
3 18 ms 22 ms 11 ms bbr01olvemo-tge-0-1-0-8.olve.mo.charter.com [96.
34.2.198]
4 20 ms 16 ms 13 ms kcm-edge-13.inet.qwest.net [72.165.193.73]
5 25 ms 36 ms 32 ms dap-brdr-03.inet.qwest.net [67.14.2.89]
6 34 ms 35 ms 45 ms 63.146.26.94
7 65 ms 65 ms 78 ms 0.xe-3-0-3.XL3.LAX15.ALTER.NET [152.63.114.66]
8 59 ms 68 ms 60 ms POS6-0-0.GW3.LAX15.ALTER.NET [152.63.112.105]
9 62 ms 64 ms 59 ms internapGIGE-gw.customer.alter.net [157.130.236.
110]
10 59 ms 73 ms 67 ms border2.po1-20g-bbnet1.lax010.pnap.net [216.52.2
55.12]
11 67 ms 59 ms 59 ms 66.150.148.65
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Rueciel

12-19-2012

Quote:
So why do ISP's use buffers? When they have bandwidth limitations, heavy network usage, or a number of other reasons, they deploy buffers. It helps ease the load on their backhaul, the ISP's major pipe to the world. About the only tying you can do here is contact the ISP and see if they will remove the buffers.
I can also see that my ISP is buffering my uplink at 570/ms. (I assume this buffering is similar to the old nagle algorithm that 56k used) It warns me that this is slightly excessive.
Would you think that any ISP would actually listen to a request to remove buffering?
They are doing this for their own benefit, i find it hard to believe that they would change anything just because i ask them to.