Experiencing Latency

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

wammie

Member

02-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMoira View Post
The lag spikes are worse at night (GMT -5), at the mornings there is no lag, but the ping is different to when the game is normal
Maybe a bottleneck ?
Exactly what happens to me, same timezone.

Starting at 7:30 PM up to a little past mid night, these lag spikes and skating around happen to me. At any other time of the day, I have absolutely no problems.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rathadin

Senior Member

02-19-2013

Sudo, glad to offer any help I can.

1. It happens to me in Normal 5v5, Ranked 5v5, and The Proving Grounds. I don't play anything else.
2. It can happen 5 minutes into the game, or 37 minutes into the game. It can happen when I'm alone in the jungle, or when I'm in a team fight.
3. The spikes can happen with seemingly randomness. Sometimes never, sometimes only once or twice a game, sometimes dozens of times in a game.
4. The spikes last anywhere from a few seconds to 70 seconds. A 70 second spike is the longest I've yet recorded. It was timed with a stopwatch to the left of my keyboard when I realized I was lagging.
5. Usually my character just sort of stands still, then I see his lifebar evaporate as the enemy team destroys me because I'm standing around like an imbecile. Occasionally I'll see champion and creep "ice-skating" as you describe it.
6. AT&T U-Verse - 24 mbps downstream, 3 mbps upstream
7. Yes, the spikes only happen in League of Legends. I've tested Team Fortress 2, EverQuest II, Age of Conan, and about a dozen other online games.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bradykin

Member

02-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathadin View Post
Sudo, glad to offer any help I can.

1. It happens to me in Normal 5v5, Ranked 5v5, and The Proving Grounds. I don't play anything else.
2. It can happen 5 minutes into the game, or 37 minutes into the game. It can happen when I'm alone in the jungle, or when I'm in a team fight.
3. The spikes can happen with seemingly randomness. Sometimes never, sometimes only once or twice a game, sometimes dozens of times in a game.
4. The spikes last anywhere from a few seconds to 70 seconds. A 70 second spike is the longest I've yet recorded. It was timed with a stopwatch to the left of my keyboard when I realized I was lagging.
5. Usually my character just sort of stands still, then I see his lifebar evaporate as the enemy team destroys me because I'm standing around like an imbecile. Occasionally I'll see champion and creep "ice-skating" as you describe it.
6. AT&T U-Verse - 24 mbps downstream, 3 mbps upstream
7. Yes, the spikes only happen in League of Legends. I've tested Team Fortress 2, EverQuest II, Age of Conan, and about a dozen other online games.

My situation is basically the exact same as this guys.

How is it we have no answer for a fix yet? This has ruined countless games for me.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mymiya

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

02-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMoira View Post
The lag spikes are worse at night (GMT -5), at the mornings there is no lag, but the ping is different to when the game is normal
Maybe a bottleneck ?
This. I just attempted to play one about 40 minutes ago and my ping stayed upwards of 200 with spikes nearing 800. This is the only thing that has any problem at all playing online.

But if i try playing at like, 5 am, i only get them maybe once every 10 or so minutes or sometimes not at all. I'm currently on GMT -6


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CatchMeIfYaCan

Senior Member

02-19-2013

Bump, we got a fix yet ?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

negrotyger

Member

02-19-2013

• In which format do the spikes occur: 3v3, 5v5, ARAM, unranked, ranked, etc? ALL
• Does it happen at a particular time/location: during team fights, when you’re at spawn, randomly, etc? anywhere
• How often are the spikes? every few minutes
• How long do they last? 1 second up to a complete DC and "attempting to reconnect"
• What symptom(s) do you see during spikes: champion “ice-skating” or jumping around, game hitches, etc? Everything listed
• Do the spikes only happen in LoL? only LoL

also my ping never actually goes up on my HUD, I just freeze and skate and such


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KiiyaCastigate

Junior Member

02-19-2013

I hate this, it occurs EVERY GAME! Like seriously! I can't even play a SINGLE game without having to read "Attempting to reconnect" -.- almost every day i always end up having a lag spike. It's so horrible I cant even try out my newly bought champions right because of this stupid problem T_T -cries

I hate the part where I'm at a team fight and then suddenly 9k+ ping out of nowhere =/

Edit: My normal ping's usually 60.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Hero Øf Time

Member

02-19-2013

This is disgustingly bad.

League of Legends, as it is, is unplayable for everyone experiencing the same issue which arose months ago and has yet to be fixed. It is not on our end, it is the fault of a change instituted in some patch which is destroying the experience of /tons/ of players. Come on now Riot, what the #^#% is going on?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

dicksteel

Junior Member

02-19-2013

I've been having lag trouble as well lately. I don't know if it's exactly the same problem as what people seem to have in this thread. My ping is usually 87 average but lately it's been between 87 and 120ish. While playing I have some occasional lag spikes but they're very small and minor usually only lasting for a second. It seems like they're more prone to happening when a spell occurs such as Leona's E skill.

I'm kinda hoping I have a minor version of what people here seem to be experiencing. I recently started using a new computer and I think all this stuff came around when I started using it. I'm just hoping it's a timing coincidence and it isn't my computer being bad.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AbortRetryFail

Senior Member

02-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hero f Time View Post
This is disgustingly bad.

League of Legends, as it is, is unplayable for everyone experiencing the same issue which arose months ago and has yet to be fixed. It is not on our end, it is the fault of a change instituted in some patch which is destroying the experience of /tons/ of players. Come on now Riot, what the #^#% is going on?
Half of this sentence is plausible -- the other half, saying it's a server issue, is odd, as there really hasn't been any good evidence pointing to this yet (and actually plenty pointing away). If it's a server issue, it's inconsistent as best, as the dozens and dozens of friends I have that play this game have never had the issue. Of course, we're mostly in the PNW with a few Aussies sprinkled in, so that might be a selection bias right there.

It could very well be any of the dozens of devices on the route to Riot's DC that are causing this, though. What does a tracert look like on your way into Riot's DC? Have you taken a network capture from your side to show what your client is being presented with?