Experiencing Latency

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eglo Romant

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbortRetryFail View Post
crewxp, in case you don't catch up with me tomorrow:

Finally tracked down your convo with the game server. It's riddled with duplicate acks, meaning the game server is receiving the same packets from your client multiple times. This could be a routing issue within your home network or somewhere on your route to Riot's game servers.

Unfortunately this kind of thing is pretty tough to troubleshoot from just one side of a network. One thing you might try is lowering your MTU. This will actually slow your connection, but it may result in increased stability. You can do this with the command:

interface ipv4 set subinterface “Name of your connection here” mtu=1260 store=persistent

The default is 1460, but I've seen some network devices do weird things above 1260 if they're poorly configured. After setting this you'll want to disable / reenable the network adapter and test.

If it doesn't affect your experience, go ahead and set back to 1460 and let's grab another capture and see how it feels
Abort,

Don't mean to be confrontational, but a 200 MTU drop is pretty steep. I'd have them test what their optimum MTU is first before doing that. :/

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/5793

DARKHOXTONMAGIC

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-14-2013

bump

Heather Sweet

02-14-2013

bump

l33t

02-14-2013

bump again.

Btw: I did a little more testing today. Still nothing yielded from packet capture. But changing MTU from 1500 down to 1200 didn't help. 1500 also yielded 0 packet loss from pings and a full day of constant real-time connections so I'm going to keep it there. Tested using Mumble and Skype. Both had 0 packet loss all day.

cheeser01

02-14-2013

0 lag when playing DOTA2 and other games

iSpeilz

02-14-2013

Prior to two weeks ago I had a steady 30 ms throughout every game, no lag whatsoever. Now, when i'm connecting to a game, I watch as my ms starts at 30, spikes to 300, falls to 30, spikes instantly back to 300, etc.

Once i'm in the game i'm spiking every ~15 seconds which causes me to lock up for 1-2 seconds each it.

It's truly unplayable.

King Stannis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickedFaith View Post
Disabled Pando while much better still skating around in.
WORDS OF TRUTH I HAD THIS SAME PROBLEM.
GOD THIS HAS COSTED ME SO MANY GODDAMN GAMES THIS IS SO RIDIC.

Sorry riot, i was about to be like GODDAM YO CLIENT, etc, but PMB.exe floods internet connections BADLY. thanks guys!

+1 to the ppl that helped lol

AbortRetryFail

02-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eglo Romant View Post
Abort,

Don't mean to be confrontational, but a 200 MTU drop is pretty steep. I'd have them test what their optimum MTU is first before doing that. :/

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/5793
I'll be the first to admit that networking isn't my main skill -- so I'm looking to get some practice analyzing traffic more, especially since the captures I normally look at only come in one, relatively clean, flavor.

That said, I'm a fan of quick, bold adjustments -- if 1260 had worked I'd advise moving back up until the sweet spot is hit. Doesn't sound like we're there yet.

For clarification, there wasn't any packet loss -- the server was receiving multiple copies of the same packet. This can be a symptom of bad routing, bad acceleration hardware, or a device handling fragmentation incorrectly along the path. I am sure it can also be a symptom of other things, but those are the ones I've seen.

Kapaluccio

02-14-2013

I dont know but after the last small patch I havent had another lag spike... not a single one (3 games in a row)... its weird... i just hope it stays that way.

UrbanEX

02-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapaluccio View Post
I dont know but after the last small patch I havent had another lag spike... not a single one (3 games in a row)... its weird... i just hope it stays that way.
Same thing for me! Hope this doesnt ever change back.