Rengar as a Jungler. Disappointed. Suggestions needed.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

bongofrog

11-28-2012

Been playing Ren in the jungle for a while. I'm not new to jungling I've got over 400 wins, and most of them have been jungling.

I've been trying different builds and different items. So far if I don't start with boots, I'm useless as an initiator. Unless they wander really close to a bush.

I have to say though that I am really disappointing in rengar as a jungler. Hes slow to clear, even if he can withstand the damage from the camps, his clear times are obviously slower than most junglers. (judging by smite refresh time if I use it on red, by the time I get to blue its ready again. Most other junglers I have 20-30 seconds still)

Hes like Mao, but has to be in a bush to get to his pray, and has no stun on contact. He is more of a tanky assassin. I wont be putting him in the jungle again.

I know there are plenty of you who love him, and more of you who hate and think hes OP. I have to completely disagree. He is only good when well fed, and with his ult. Otherwise you can just run from him. His E does not allow for a long enough slow to catch, and its short range makes it almost useless against any targets with half decent mobility.

I've tried the most popular builds, and still without the sustain of constant kill/assists, or CS, he feels really weak, and in most situations is useless. As opposed to maokai, who with just Philo stone, hog and nikes can still be a huge threat when he enters a lane for a gank. What I mean with that is, unless the other team doesn't ward, and likes to run around the bushes on the river side of the lane he really can't gank. They can just run from him. He COULD flash/E but as mentioned before, short range, short duration. And since he has no natural escape wasting a flash to ALMOST get a kill isn't worth it.

He seems like the type of champ that has to have the group built around him to make his ganks useful. Meaning yellow card from TF + ren running in with E ready would make for an almost certain kill. Or a cho with his Q, Nasus with his slow, ETC.

Just my two bits.

Anyone got some suggestions that would make playing less of a chore and more of a joy?

bongofrog

11-28-2012

Nothing? anyone?

Ansaa

11-28-2012

He was extremely OP, then nerfed.

To everyone else, he appears balanced.
But for Rengar himself, who is so used to being OP, you're gonna feel weak.

IonDragonX

11-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongofrog View Post
Nothing? anyone?
If you wait a week, the entire game will be changed (Season 3) and you can try to figure out if Rengar is still bad, is better or is worse.

Until then, why try to fix a lame duck strategy?

ProtusK

11-28-2012

I find Rengar relies a bit too much on early game dominance due to his inability to farm jungle creeps and how reliant he is on damage items rather than GP5's. Because of this as Rengar I tend to give up my jungle and go purely for ganks.

A common strategy I tend to do on blue-side is I start with wolves/blue buff and sneak into the top lane brush and counter-gank the enemy jungler if I know they're going to start at their red and level 2 gank top. Rengar probably has the best concentrated early game damage with full stacks and is easily able to surprise the enemy jungle + top laner when they try to gank our top laner. I've gotten countless double kills using this strategy, you just have to let your top laner know what you're planning beforehand.

Apart from that, farm your jungle as minimally as you can and focus purely on lane brush ganks for top and bot lane. Mid lane will have to suffer until you hit level 6 because like you said, he doesn't have the best hard CC for your typical mid lane gank.

Capitalise on your ultimate though, each and every gank with your ultimate should be a successful kill, it's that simple. Make sure to know if you should use your E or Q with stacks when you perform your ganks, most of the time a stacked Q followed by a second Q and a quick E is more effective, but a stacked E's CC always helps gank a friendly lane without much CC (e.g. soraka).

JLee14

11-29-2012

I know how you feel, and understand the situation. Maybe the new Jungle will work for him, we have to wait and see. Rengar is such a well concept champ, cant wait to see him viable.

Peligrad

11-29-2012

Rengar got his teeth pulled out...

When he first released, I was like "Man he's OP!"

And then I got stuck with him in ARAM and I was like "USELESS!!"