[Guide]Taric the Aura Knight

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Africanus

11-23-2009

Disclaimer: I'm not a super leet player or anything. I tried this build out as something of a joke, and it turned out to work surprisingly well. I haven't run into other Taric players using it and I find it works quite a lot better than any of the builds I read guides for, so I figured I'd have a go at writing something up.

The purpose of this build is to turn Taric into a nigh indestructable (spoon!) aura buff/debuff platform. By 4/6 items he becomes a solid initiator, a great turret tanker, and a great group support. He synergizes incredibly with DPS heroes, and can take quite a lot of punishment while keeping his team up. I've played 25-30 games with this build and I absolutely love it. One of my friends plays Yi regularly, and when we play together he usually runs up a 10+ kill streak in the mid to late game as we run around the map ganking people and busting turrets. I often finish games with 6-10 kills myself, which is pretty nice for a primarily support oriented build.

Spells: I take heal and rally for most games. Rally gives you a chance to toe to toe on occasion early, synergizes well with your ultimate late game for fast turret busting with a dps or minion mob, and gives a great boost during 5v5 fights. Heal has obvious benefits.

Masteries: I go defense and pick up dodge, armor, resist, and the heal buff.

Runes: Armor Quintessence, mana regen, armor, and atk speed
Items:

Mana Manipulator
Aegis of the Legion
Ninja Tabi
Frozen Heart
Recurve Bow > Stark's Fervor
Mana Manipulator > Soul Shroud
Abyssal Scepter or Sunfire Cape or Banshee's Veil or [Nashor's Tooth - edit: bad idea, see replies below]

The last item is a bit of a toss up, as I have never actually had a game go long enough test a full build other than bot games. My thinking is that if the enemy has lots of AP stackers, go scepter or veil (scepter if you have caster with you who will benefit from the -resist aura), if you want to improve your support capability go Tooth for [reduced cooldowns - see replies], AP, and regen. If the enemy team has DPS, go cape for more tankiness.

On occasion I will go for the Stark's Fervor before the Frozen Heart. If our team already has a solid tank, or if we have a lot of physical DPS, the Stark's allows me to be more offensive earlier in the game. I'd say at least 4/5 of games I take the Frozen Heart first.

Aura Effects (not including last item)

Friendly:
+35 armor
+8 damage
+40 magic resist
+20% life steal
+25% attack speed
+30 health per 5
+12 mana per 5
-15% ability cooldown

Enemy:
-25% attack speed
-25 armor

Abilities:

Imbue
Shatter
Dazzle
Shatter
Imbue
Radiance
Shatter
Imbue

Basically Keep Shatter one ahead or equal to imbue, take radiance every time it is available, and only take ranks in dazzle when you must.

Playstyle:

lvl 1-6: If you can get your team to let you solo a lane, go for it. I take imbue at lvl 1 so I can jump in to get last hits without worrying about harass. Otherwise I hang back right at the edge of xp range and soak it up. Starting at lvl 3, I harass with Dazzle and Shatter. Dazzle, melee, shatter, melee, and run off. Generally the opponent will run away, but if they don't I prefer to get out away from their minions before I take too much damage. If they attack and follow back through your minions, trade blows until dazzle CD is back, drop rally, then stun them as they run. Generally when people try to get agressive I can get a kill or force them to run to the turret and recall. If 1v2, the same applies but wait to harass until you are a couple lvls ahead.

7-10: Look for opportunities to drop out of lane to kill creeps without losing xp. I try to push back the enemy champs and clear their minions so mine are heading to the turret. With a champ and a turret killing them, my minions won't be able to kill any in the next wave before they go down. While they are being cleared I go down for the far side ghosts. Melee the big one, then dazzle it and shatter to leave it within 1 swing of death. The rest should also go down in 1 swing. It is important not to give the big one a chance to lifesteal up or you will be there a while. You should be able to get back in lane in time for their wave to meet yours and at worst should lose a single minion of XP. Rinse and repeat to get the close ghosts. When dropping out of lane, it can be usefull to head along the river initially to make it look like you're going for a gank in another lane. Around lvl 10 you should have enough gold (1925) to pick up Aegis.

11-15: Gank! Get someone to help you get the lizard buff (if it is available) and then go grab the golem buff. With golem you can channel your ult for ages, which will seriously up your damage and buff your allies as well. Generally I ask who is having the most trouble and run down to their lane to set up a gank. Since my teammates will be pushed against the turret and the enemies are aggressive, they'll have a long run to safety. Since I've been ducking out of lane to no effect (clearing ghosts, wolves, and 2x golem spawns) over and over, they often won't be alarmed when I go missing.

16+ You should have the ninja tabi and frozen heart by now. If you've been successful in ganking, you might even be on the Stark's Fervor or close to it. At this point you can pair up with a DPS and go tank turrets! I know feelings are mixed about backdooring, but I think it would be stupid to overlook Taric's turret tanking capability. I generally pick a lonely turret, get my DPS in tow, rush it, pop ult, and drop rally. The turret will go down very quickly, and you will be well positioned to take out any over zealous defenders who show up without backup. Make sure to turn off your ultimate before it eats through your mana pool. If times right, it will be off CD right around the time folks arrive to jump you. Quite often this ends with my DPS and I forcing the enemies to run 2v3. Remember to heal your DPS!

At endgame I tend to be an initiator and turret pusher. Basically I round up the team and rush the turret same as before. With rally, ult, group heals (generally at least 1 person besides me has a heal) and imbue I regularly tank the turret with the other team beating on me. This frees my DPS to tear up the enemy, and with rally and ult buffing their base damage they make quick work of things. My Yi friend basically runs around 2-3 shotting squishies with his ult up, and then popping it again when the cooldown resets on the kill.

So that's how I've been playing. I'm not sure how well this build will hold up as my ELO rises (it's **** because I'm always playing with new characters and only infrequently with a full arranged team) but at the moment it seems quite good. I've outperformed every Taric I've gone up against so far, even in games where I've lost.

Edit: spelling, clarity, wrong runes.

HereticalCrab

11-24-2009

So let me get this straight. You are grabbing a mana manipulator and your telling me to solo? That is a rather bad strategy considering the reason you would even buy a mana manipulator is cause it gives your ally the mana regen as well. Other than that I don't have much to say, seems like a solid support build I guess. Not my prefered play method but whatever.

Lubanja

11-24-2009

I play a similar build, although I get soulshround/shoes first. Honestly it is surprisingly effective. For some reason this build just wins me games. I cant explain it, maybe I just get lucky with my teams... Often times the other team gets the advantage early due to mass ganksquads. Later on though when everyone is level 18, with tarics incredible support abilities a 5-man push usually doesnt get stopped and we steamroll their base. I've had several games where we get locked into defending our base from super minions, defend the opposing team and make a final push for the win.

Side note, Taric is extremely low damage. I mean, I have problems taking out a character as weak as Ashe. You cannot solo champs at all unless they are low hp, they will just run off. However, usually its possible to survive til friends arrive (hopefully your friends, not theirs).

Africanus

11-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereticalCrab View Post
So let me get this straight. You are grabbing a mana manipulator and your telling me to solo? That is a rather bad strategy considering the reason you would even buy a mana manipulator is cause it gives your ally the mana regen as well. Other than that I don't have much to say, seems like a solid support build I guess. Not my prefered play method but whatever.
I buy a mana manipulator because I want regen to stay in lane longer, and the manipulator is the only option that builds into an item I want later in the game. The only reason I would see to go meki pendant over mana manipulator is to buy health/mana pots initially. Since I'm loaded with healing options, and 7.2/5 + gemcraft will keep my mana bar pretty full, I don't see any reason not to spend the extra 85 gold to get the manipulator right off.

In most games I am able to comfortably sit in lane until i have the 1925 gold I need to buy the Aegis. Once I get back, I start looking for opportunities to set up ganks. From that point on I am generally running around in the company of others, and the manipulator's group benefits come into play. I think it is more than worth the extra 85 gold over the course of the game.

Balathorn

11-24-2009

Chalice and Taric ult go pretty well together, i'd argue that they go way better than mana manip. Also i'd rather go shoes second (tabi or mercury treads depending on opposing team) otherwise you'll get killed during retreats since you're pretty slow.

I'd also get mana regen runes (or maybe cooldown) since these are expensive stats (opposed to armor and attack speed)

TrickyCat

11-24-2009

Don't know how people can play taric without a chalice. Taric without a chalice is a naked Taric. It's like playing the game without ever buying boots of any kind.

Regardless of your build, I find the optimal play for Taric is to get meki pendant and 2 health pots. then make chalice and boots -> then whatever build you are going for.

Lubanja

11-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyCat View Post
Don't know how people can play taric without a chalice. Taric without a chalice is a naked Taric. It's like playing the game without ever buying boots of any kind.

Regardless of your build, I find the optimal play for Taric is to get meki pendant and 2 health pots. then make chalice and boots -> then whatever build you are going for.
eh, maybe I'm using him wrong, but I rarely use taric's ult. If I see one or two allies that need hp, sure i'll plop it off. but usually mana goes towards the other skills. I run lots of mp5 runes so I basically have an extra 10mp5 near endgame... chalice would be good but honestly the extra hp from an early shroud helps a lot more than 35 magic resist.

Kahryl

11-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubanja View Post
eh, maybe I'm using him wrong, but I rarely use taric's ult. If I see one or two allies that need hp, sure i'll plop it off. but usually mana goes towards the other skills. I run lots of mp5 runes so I basically have an extra 10mp5 near endgame... chalice would be good but honestly the extra hp from an early shroud helps a lot more than 35 magic resist.
Wha... the healing done by Radiance is relatively weak unless you stack AP (not a good idea for Taric), true. But the +damage aura of it is amazing.. when group battles get hot, pop radiance and keep it up until the group battle simmers down.. and very often that will last long enough to drain your mana. Chalice makes it so that even losing all your mana doesn't take you out of the game, it just means you can't do another long Radiance.

xailion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

11-24-2009

CD from Nashors is not needed, being that the 15% from SS and 25% from FH cap it out at 40%.

Just throwing that out there. My buddy's main is Taric, and I'll have him look this over, and we'll try it out and maybe get some feedback.

Africanus

11-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by xailion View Post
CD from Nashors is not needed, being that the 15% from SS and 25% from FH cap it out at 40%.

Just throwing that out there. My buddy's main is Taric, and I'll have him look this over, and we'll try it out and maybe get some feedback.
Good spot! As I said I've never gotten that far, so I hadn't thought much about it. I had enjoyed Tooth in other builds though so I tossed it in there as a possible last grab.