So the best "supports" right now aren't support characters?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ratcharmer

11-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by imweasel09 View Post
Since when does blitzcrank not count as a support? He hasn't really been able to jungle effectively or lane anywhere else for over a year now. On top of that he was considered a terrible support until soraka/janna/sona got nerfed into making kill supports like blitz and leona viable again.
I actually just saw a game (high ELO) where jungle Blitzcrank did really well.

Granted, one game does not make a pattern (and it was a bit of an odd game at that).

Also, to my knowledge Blitz was never considered a terrible support--for a long time he wasn't considered for the role at all, but almost as soon as he started seeing use the community acknowledged he was pretty strong 0-cs.

Vertchewal

11-29-2012

Players play the meta because it works, if you just run 5 bruisers you will win every game..

Magister Gir

11-29-2012

Pantheon and Xin and Mundo support enough said

Orenin

11-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epitaxy1 View Post
Support LeBlanc..

Seriously, build her a philo stone and then go off-AP starting with a mejais. If you don't get stacks, oh well, it's a little AP but you're a support, you're not expected to stomp. The passive from the philo--stone also reduces the possible loss of gold if you can't seem to reach 5 stacks, which you definitely will surpass in mid game given your ability to escape. If you do get stacks, the other team can have fun building negatrons while your top and carry rip their hearts out, dice them into small chunks, and then feed them to wives! Olaf is especially good at this.

It is more-or-less a pub pick right now, but in the future, who knows? (I have a friend with 850 wins who mains LeBlanc mid exclusively apart from his Fizz mid games, and he plays LB support all the time and does surprising well)
It's also really fun and it will get your mind off of Riot's current disinterest in going anywhere with supports. Nami is cool, but she, as a champion, won't fix the support scene.

With that being said, I like kill supports much more than the traditional support, I just don't like it when people play a champion and go bot with the AD just so they can play the champion, regardless of role. I am OK with the current supports being played right now. It's changing the game. This sort of change is OK. The game is no less good or no better than it was a year ago in terms of its entertainment value.

When I play against Zyra or Blitz, my positioning must be perfect, therefore I have to concentrate more on it than zoning or farming. This changes how I play. It adds more depth to bot lane, which used to be Carry/SustainSupport vs Carry/SustainSupport in a mechanics battle until the jungler came.... boring. Mechanics are very cool, but just going military robot drone mode to farm for 15-20 minutes whilst nothing else happening can be a bit tedious for some and is boring to watch.

It makes you a better player in the end, even if you don't realize it.
thx for information

ratcharmer

11-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertchewal View Post
Players play the meta because it works, if you just run 5 bruisers you will win every game..
Am I the only one who thinks this is a problem? Are most people okay with bruisers taking over lots of roles?

(P.S. I think the strength of a 5 bruiser team does get greatly exaggerated)

Moosin

11-29-2012

I still can't believe they released zyra on the same week Morello gave a big speech on how Janna/naut should be nerfed because they do too many things.

Zyra does more with huge dps, and she was designed by morello himself.

mid or afk, the way game is meant to be played.

ratcharmer

11-29-2012

So I haven't been following IPL5 all that closely so far. Are support picks still following the same general pattern?

Priestess Soraka

11-29-2012

if the s3 items do not make normal supports popular for the support role then either riot will nerf the champs that can play the role but arent supports or buff the real support champs

Oberic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitekurama View Post
Because Morello hates supports but would never nerf one of his precious mages.
Many mages are pretty good against Irelia.

Nerfs to mages are buffs to Irelia, that CAN'T happen. :P

Moosin

11-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberic View Post
Many mages are pretty good against Irelia.

Nerfs to mages are buffs to Irelia, that CAN'T happen. :P
all it takes is one whine from wickd, and they'll buff irel right back.