So the best "supports" right now aren't support characters?

1234567 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

chumbler

11-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropics View Post
supports typically should have ridiculous base damage or CC with little scaling
That is a very, very bad design for how this game works, and Riot is starting to realize that (I hope).

ratcharmer

11-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisid View Post
tbh I've been seeing a ton of lulu and sona lately.
I've seen Lulu and/or Sona, but pretty much only when Blitzcrank and/or Zyra is banned (which is quite frequent). What's more, when I do see Lulu/Sona I almost always see that champion underperform.

ratcharmer

11-28-2012

bump,

Has anyone found vids or anything from a recent tourney where other supports were really doing well? If so I'd like to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitau View Post
People need to get out of this mindset where a certain framework details the role a champion has. I know some champions to damage, but that doesn't mean they cannot also support, and vise versa.
The issue I take here is that both Soraka and Janna have been viable, though not great, midlaners in the past. Riot very deliberately nerfed them out of viability in these roles (including hefty nerfs to their AP ratios--which don't hurt the 0 cs role but utterly destroyed any hope of using them in a solo lane).

MrFoxx

11-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratcharmer View Post
bump,

Has anyone found vids or anything from a recent tourney where other supports were really doing well? If so I'd like to see it.

The issue I take here is that both Soraka and Janna have been viable, though not great, midlaners in the past. Riot very deliberately nerfed them out of viability in these roles (including hefty nerfs to their AP ratios--which don't hurt the 0 cs role but utterly destroyed any hope of using them in a solo lane).
Remember when soraka used to be good.

Then morello say "we decided to make a few changes to bring her in line with competitive play"

Then proceeded to nerf her 8 patches in a row, reducing ap ratios, base damage, increase cooldowns, reducing armor buffs, lowering base stats.

"We feel she is in a good place right now" - Morello

Meaning if you want to go aggressive support, you better play blitzcrank, cause youre doing it wrong.

ratcharmer

11-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFoxx View Post
Then proceeded to nerf her 8 patches in a row, reducing ap ratios, base damage, increase cooldowns, reducing armor buffs, lowering base stats.

"We feel she is in a good place right now" - Morello
Just wanted to expand on this a little.

It seems like Morello/balance team doesn't grasp that it takes the meta time to catch up to balance changes. They'll nerf a character then nerf them again before the community has a chance to adjust.

Example: about this time last year they did the jungle rework, yet it wasn't until September/October that the community really caught on that a cc heavy "pseudo-support" jungler was the best way to go in the new jungle. That's somewhere around a nine month delay.

Tipttt

11-28-2012

Riot does seem to have a problem with supports.

They stated time and time again that they hated dedicated healing, even though I don't know what the dedicated means here.

I'm very fearful for Karma's future. She may not be the best there is, but she better stay a melee support. And keep her current appearance.

ratcharmer

11-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipttt View Post
Riot does seem to have a problem with supports.

They stated time and time again that they hated dedicated healing, even though I don't know what the dedicated means here.

I'm very fearful for Karma's future. She may not be the best there is, but she better stay a melee support. And keep her current appearance.
"dedicated" healing means that all a champion does is heal allies. About the only support who actually fits the bill is Soraka.

. . . I thought Karma did have a ranged auto attack?

Tipttt

11-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratcharmer View Post
"dedicated" healing means that all a champion does is heal allies. About the only support who actually fits the bill is Soraka.

. . . I thought Karma did have a ranged auto attack?

She does, but her strength is supporting melee characters. Supports are very rarely paireed with melee champs, so I just use her when I'm with a Graves and she really does wonders. I hope they don't change that.

Snes C

11-28-2012

Riot has flat-out stated that Zyra is kind of OP in the support role, so you can't blame pro teams for using her for that reason alone. And a few pro games do not an epidemic make. The majority of people playing the support role are using actual support champions, and doing well in their role. This has been confirmed by Riot several times.

ratcharmer

11-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnesController View Post
Riot has flat-out stated that Zyra is kind of OP in the support role, so you can't blame pro teams for using her for that reason alone. And a few pro games do not an epidemic make.
I'm not just looking at a few games though. Whenever I log in I make a point to glance over the watchable high-elo ranked games just to see what support picks they're going for. Also, it's not just Zyra--we're seeing all sorts of champions flooding in from all different classes. Lots of them are proving better at 0-cs than the original support cast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnesController View Post
The majority of people playing the support role are using actual support champions, and doing well in their role. This has been confirmed by Riot several times.
Stats on Lolking and similar sites don't really back this claim up--especially if you look at ban rates. In fact Blitzcrank is banned more often than Sona, Soraka, Janna and Lulu's combined popularity.

1234567 ... 9