Colorblind Mastery Page and Other Colorblind Issues

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AxleVice

02-04-2013

I noticed that League has a colorblind mode in game so that the colorblind players can better distinguish between friend and foe spell effects and so on.

The mastery pages, however, have not been addressed yet. It seems fairly obvious to have a colorblind a mode as over 1 in 20 males are believed to be color blind. The fact that the mastery page was overlooked is most likely a simple mistake.

Here's the issue:

The mastery page icons have green and yellow borders. Green when you can put a point in it and yellow when its maxed. Sure there are also numbers, but the colors wouldn't be there if it wasn't helping and there's also the fact that I (who isn't colorblind) never notice the numbers anyway, I typically spam click until something is full and check it later. Certain colorblind people might not be able to distinguish between the green and yellow at a glance and this may cause them seconds (I know this isn't exactly a big issue) of their time. But considering that colorblindness affects so many males (and to a lesser extent, females), the collective seconds that Riot would be saving by letting colorblind people know almost immediately at first glance just what they bothered spending their mastery points in could account for many, many hours of saved time. Over the course of League of Legends' life (here's to a long one) this may even save months if not years of your loyal players' time which is a lot less than you folks would spend trying to fix it.

While I targeted a very specific part of the client in this message I would also like to include other issues colorblind people face.

- The cursor is yellow
- Friends list colors
- To a lesser extent the blue-purple team colors
- Spell effects that use unfriendly colors in excess

Possible solutions could be options for the default Windows or Mac cursor. Colorblind modes for the friends list as well as the mastery pages described above. Options for Friend-Foe colors (Red-Blue or other alternatives should be considered) rather than the standard blue and purple could solve this. The spell effects one might be a far cry from a simple solution and I don't expect to see this solved without limiting creativity.

The colorblind mode in the game was a step in the right direction but I believe Riot should go the distance with this one. Despite season 3 ramping up and this new devotion towards esports I ask for these things to support those who have to deal with these problems on a daily basis who only want a little bit of support. Will you be our support Riot? We promise to carry you if you do.

GaijinZen

02-05-2013

Bump

AxleVice

02-08-2013

Bump.