Jungle Without Runes Possible?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

zWilky

11-27-2012

ok, so i want to get into jungling because it seems a hell of a lot of fun and no one that i play with can jungle so we need someone to fill that spot.

I would be playing mostly unranked blind draft picks, so this isnt going to be very serious, and the other team will 99% of the time have no jungler.

Is it possible to jungle without runes, I didnt know their importance until a few weeks ago, and dont have enough ip saved up for a lot of them, if any.

Im probably going to start with easyy junglers like amumu and WW, can these be jungled without runes effectively?

Also, are there any other junglers that dont need runes that I could jungle easy?

Skury420

11-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by zWilky View Post
I would be playing mostly unranked blind draft picks,

wut

DylanTuckTV

11-27-2012

You can jungle with almost any champion without having runes. There are harder champions to jungle and there are easier. Personally, I find it easy to jungle with Shyvanna and Diana.

mnun

11-27-2012

Don't need runes, runes help though. Idk about the new s3 jungle,

weizhong5

11-27-2012

They aren't REQUIRED per se, but they do provide one hell of a boost to your effectiveness at jungling.

Shadogi

11-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by zWilky View Post
Is it possible to jungle without runes, I didnt know their importance until a few weeks ago, and dont have enough ip saved up for a lot of them, if any.
It's certainly possible, but it's more of an issue for junglers than any other role. For the most part, lanes are looking to last hit for the first ~5-8 minutes of the game and then doing tons of damage. As a jungler, you want to clear your zone ASAP and get to ganking.

I would say that you should stay away from Maokai, Skarner and Alistar as attack speed runes are mandatory for them. As for good non-rune junglers, I think Olaf would be a solid choice as he has a true damage ability; Nocturne could also be excellent. For the most part, tanky junglers have a bigger need for runes because they need the attack speed whereas "assassin" junglers will, generally speaking, be able clear better without runes and can rely more on early ganks for income.

Axiom Prime

11-27-2012

I use the same runes for my ADC champs as I do with my junglers, unless it's an AP jungler like Fiddle or Diana, so assuming you already have rune pages that cover those roles then you should be fine.

FrazzledMelon

11-27-2012

I started jungling at 15 (Skarner and Shyvana) with appropriate masteries and some tier 2 runes. Speed and sustain are obviously not as good as at 30 with full runes, but you can do it. The bigger problem I've found has been that most players at that level have no idea how to work with a jungler. They won't leash, so you need to match jungler and route very carefully for a no-leash route that works. This makes it slower. And a lot of laners will think that, as jungler, your job is to be there whenever they need you to keep them alive - which will be way too often.

But if you're 30 and playing with people you know, who also know how not to die every couple minutes, you should actually be able to have a good time without runes. Just be sure you get the right masteries - which will be changing shortly.

With the extra gold and experience, you should have an advantage playing against a team without junglers, as long as your top knows how to lane 1v2 and not die.

Keeweeman

11-27-2012

just spend a few IP on level one armor runes. super cheap and can combine them later.