How can i avoid getting raped in teamfights as kennen?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wanish

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-27-2012

I just bought kennen, and i rly love him, but i always get raped in late game teamfights.
I rush in, after the fight is initiated, ult, zhonya, and after it, i get killed. The zhonya lasts 2.5 seconds, but my ult takes 5second to do the 15 strike and stun all 5 enemy. So the zhonya is not enough for me to survive. If i don't use zhonya right after my ult, i get raped instantly, or CC'd so i can't activate it. I tried to do the E in, W, then ult, so they alrdy have 2 mark, and the ult is only need 1 mark to stun, but if i rush in, i just get raped all the time am i doing it wrong? how to avoid this?

Azellos

11-27-2012

The idea is that you'll ult after someone else already threw down some sort of cc (ex. amumu/cass, etc). By the time your ult, zhonya's, and Q/E/W combo are already used, you alone will have done enough damage to kill or almost kill their squishier champions. Add the rest of your team's damage during that period, and there shouldn't be enough of the enemy team left to cause much problem.

Just make sure you hit the right champions and take them out with your ult- after that your most important job is done.

margalolwut

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-27-2012

I usually wait on the initiate to ult.. even if they jump on you right away, u have a split second of survivability...keep in mind silences too as they may prevent you from hour glassing. I usually find that i can get away with taking some dmg and hour glassing and it helps get in ur ult a lot more. By the time your hourglass is done, there should be some considerable dmg already done.

WHO8MYPEANUT

11-27-2012

Ok so I play kennen as a mid and top in ranked. In truth he does great as a pure AP. But, You need to build him tanky with a little AS. The reason is your W and E. You are squishy and utilizing your E in team fights make you prime target as you rush in, to survive this you need to get at least one tank item(I recomend warmogs or Force of nature). To make use of your W's passive get an att speed item preferably nasher's.
Now when you initiate you should be kiting in and out of the fight. Do not rush in and hour glass immediately, only use it when you are focused and initial burst+cc has been used on rest of your team. To make more sense think of yourself as the second wave. First your team then you to avoid focus. Only rush in with E and R after the enemy team has started with their inital burst and first focus has taken onto your adc. Also prioratize the enemy ccer (if not the tank) and focus them to take first.
Sorry if it is confusing English is my second language.

Ooeiooeioo

11-28-2012

Buy Zhonya's

Penninger

11-28-2012

Honestly its all about timing and positioning brotha. Wait to ult till their high priority targets have engaged in the team fight, your goal is to lock them down. Because you're so mobile its easy to get to their back lines and try and take out their adc when the team fight starts. The more games you play the more you'll get used to it. And make sure you're fitting a rylais into your build, allows for awesome kiting and you to get out of tough spots.

I'm Gold rated with most of my ranked games with kennen so not speaking from my ass(:

Jalian

11-28-2012

i tend to only play kennen with other aoe teammates... specifically mummy or sona, their ults just have good synergy and having mummy run in and ult keeps me safe while i ult + surge and, if possible, use lightning rush to increase the speed I stun at. with the right comp, you can use more abilities and stun sooner, and therefore wont have to pop zhonya's until much later in the team fight, if at all.

although honestly, as long as someone else is initiating and taking the fire before you, you should be fine. just remember to go in late, after the tanks have got them chasing and they won't be focusing you.

Dpaladinx

11-28-2012

Kennen is slightly hard to play as an AP mage. He's more of an "in your face" short range hard CC thunderstorm ninja yordle mage. When building your items, try to get the most defensive/spell vamp items first (Rylai's, Will of the Ancients, Hextech Gunblade, Hourglass, etc.). Keep in note that since Kennen is very squishy and needs to get into frontlines to do lots of damage, he WILL be the highest priority target in teamfights. For early game farming, your safest bet is using his Q as means of farming. the W/E combo is very risky and you may be screwed over by a snaring or stun ability that prevent you safely escaping (particularly when he gets countered by longer range champions like Lux and Ziggs).

If you really have hard time playing as Kennen, I suggest ADC/hybrid Kennen. That kind of build is more niche than the mainstream AP build (due to the fact that AP build is stronger if played correctly). However, you don't have to worry about landing the Q skillshot (which is much harder than land than say, Ezreal's Q skillshot).

A tip of when to use your ultimate with Kennen is follow your ultimate after the enemy attempts to use their (such as Kat's and Nunu) or follow up after your tank initiates the fight (rush in with E and hit your ult AFTER someone like Nunu or Amumu jumps in with their ultimate).

Oh yeah, he benefits GREATLY with Nashor's Tooth and Malady (particularly this item is getting a serious buff), abuse them.