A new player to the PvP circuit

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JonnyTapas

03-02-2013

One thing I don't believe was mentioned above (apologies if it was). One of the largest objectives for support is to learn the in's and out's of warding... Learn the choke points and learn what to do in the different situations you encounter.

Counter warding is becoming more popular, make sure you are prepared for this.

I want to mention zoning as well. If you can be scary enough to keep the enemy from farming, you don't even need kills to win, and you can almost be on vacation in lane while your Carry farms up completely out of danger. This also allows your jungle to pressure heavy in other lanes leading your team into a nice lead for mid game.

Finally watch your enemies purchaces and learn the AP vs. AD enemy team builds... Make sure you are prepared to build that Bulwark if you see a Jayce, Akali, and Lux, it's a huge help. You can be loosing horribly and watch your team start magically winning team fights as soon as that big support item is done.

Good to see another support out there... I personally like supports because anyone who wants to support generally wants to help a team!

Featherfox

03-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyTapas View Post
One thing I don't believe was mentioned above (apologies if it was). One of the largest objectives for support is to learn the in's and out's of warding... Learn the choke points and learn what to do in the different situations you encounter.

Counter warding is becoming more popular, make sure you are prepared for this.

I want to mention zoning as well. If you can be scary enough to keep the enemy from farming, you don't even need kills to win, and you can almost be on vacation in lane while your Carry farms up completely out of danger. This also allows your jungle to pressure heavy in other lanes leading your team into a nice lead for mid game.

Finally watch your enemies purchaces and learn the AP vs. AD enemy team builds... Make sure you are prepared to build that Bulwark if you see a Jayce, Akali, and Lux, it's a huge help. You can be loosing horribly and watch your team start magically winning team fights as soon as that big support item is done.

Good to see another support out there... I personally like supports because anyone who wants to support generally wants to help a team!
What I've learned so far:

There are 4 non-lane entry points to the river on each side. Thus, for the measly cost of 4 wards, it's nearly impossible for a jungler to approach a lane for ganking without the team knowing it. As a support, I make a monumental effort to acquire one or two of those points. Sadly, I'm not high enough in skill yet to pair up with mid-laners and top laners who ward yet on a regular basis.

Another thing I love to do is ward the enemy blue. Knowing where their jungler is gives our team such a huge advantage. Warding hasn't been my hurdle - I often pink-ward myself to negate the enemy warding efforts. Costs a bit of gold, but if my jungler or mid can capitalize on my blind enemy - it's more than worth it.

On the point of counter-building items, this is what I've figured out so far:

1) Enemy builds health
- I build Liandry's Torment if nobody on the team has it.
- I try to convince someone on my team (usually top-lane) to build a Blade of the Ruined King

2) Enemy builds armour
- Try to point out the heavy armour comp to the team so they know to focus on appropriate penetration items.
- In the case of MR-heavy teams, I invest in an Abyssal Scepter to empower my support while penetrating the enemy!

3) Enemy builds damage/attack speed
- Locket of the Iron Solari (even if the jungler has one)
- If heavy MR or heavy poke: Runic Bulwark
- (Big) if we're still getting good global gold: Frozen Heart or Randuin's Omen

4) Enemy relies on regeneration/healing to win
- Morellonomicon: even my weak support spells still shut down enemy healing!
- Executioner's Calling: I haven't built this yet, but even I get auto-attacks in sometimes on team-fights. It just happens. As a bonus, it builds out of the Avarice Blade.

5) Enemy is slippery (high speed and cc-resistant)
- Shurelya's Reverie

I'm still a huge fan of CV - and thanks to the new smart ping system, I can even transmit learned information to my allies with ease. I'm very happy with how things are going right now.

The new problem I've hit is wondering what I'll do when someone else wants to play Zyra! She's my #1 support choice, and sometimes people want to take her mid (or top or jungle, but those are rare and fun). I'm not the kind of person to deny a laner the champion they're most comfortable with - it's one of the reasons I acquired so many support champions. However, CC is my main thing, which has led to my Sona and Soraka play to really fall off. My Alistar's getting better, but my Leona wasn't so good. Despite all this, I'm just not enjoying these champs as much. I'm thinking of adding Orianna as my replacement go-to support champ if Zyra's unavailable.

So what do you guys think: which supports provide the best utility CC? Can't pick Alistar or Leona - I already know (and do love) those two!

Thanks again for the comments, and please feel free to speak up anytime you guys want!

- Featherfox

Featherfox

03-08-2013

Lately I've come across a problem I find most intriguing. People are obsessed with kills. Leaving "KS" aside, people think they don't do well if they don't get kills, or can't get kills. I've really found though that if I make the enemy carry afraid to stick his neck out to farm, or if I get the enemy support so afraid they never come out to ward, our lane ends up getting won. If I can put enough pressure on, the enemy ADC falls 1k gold or even more behind, and that's as good as killing them in my opinion.

Carries don't feel good about their performance unless they have 10 kills, or at least the most kills on the team. Sadly, that's not the mark of a good carry - just a lucky one. A good carry knows how to get into the right position to best unleash damage on the enemy team. *shrug* The best supports know how to keep that carry safe, and help set-up situations so the carry can do that job. Supports who focus on assists, and carries who focus on kills just seems wrong to me.

Maybe I'm getting it wrong - what do you think?

- Featherfox

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-08-2013

Nah, you're absolutely correct. Winning isn't about kills - it's about making the Nexus across the river blow up.

Kills certainly help, but when they become the focus, your odds of winning actually go down, since the real objectives take a lower priority.

exact Cuo

03-08-2013

hey , i like people who is good at support
you know that even i'm just level 5
i get mad when our team neither have any support nor sight ward
BUT we get 2+ ADC
so finally we get lose
I don't know why there are so many people think they can carry the team with thier poor skill
and what can i do is to choose a tank and protect THEM
RIGHT ,what i mean is i like you guys who can devote youself

TehomCD

03-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherfox View Post
The new problem I've hit is wondering what I'll do when someone else wants to play Zyra! She's my #1 support choice, and sometimes people want to take her mid (or top or jungle, but those are rare and fun). I'm not the kind of person to deny a laner the champion they're most comfortable with - it's one of the reasons I acquired so many support champions. However, CC is my main thing, which has led to my Sona and Soraka play to really fall off. My Alistar's getting better, but my Leona wasn't so good. Despite all this, I'm just not enjoying these champs as much. I'm thinking of adding Orianna as my replacement go-to support champ if Zyra's unavailable.
- Featherfox
Probably Lulu or Janna. Those three champs all fill a similar role as supports in countering people walking to your team. Janna is by far the strongest at disengage with her ult (a good counter to things like Kennen or Fiddlesticks, which aren't played all that much currently, but still pretty strong), Lulu is the best of the three at helping with hard initiation with her ultimate (cast it on someone who's diving to knock up their entire team), and Zyra's the best at turtling/defending towers by making dives incredibly dangerous.

Featherfox

03-09-2013

exact Cuo: Thanks for the compliment. I like seeing fed carries rise to conquer the fields of justice!

Sereg Anfaug: I appreciate your feedback. It makes me happy to see others share my view on how this game should be won.

TehomCD: Janna and Lulu huh? What about Orianna or Syndra for the same utility? Lulu's ultimate is an awesome one, and I love focusing on CC more than heal/sustain. However, I find that Zyra, Orianna, and Syndra (I'll own her soon...) offer better range and damage for the same utility. Perhaps I'm using Janna and Lulu wrong?

Thanks again for all your feedback - and feel free to add your own comments. Thanks for replying!

- Featherfox

Featherfox

03-15-2013

Well, it's been a week - time for another update:

Support seems to be my best role to play. I enjoy setting up kills for other people, and shutting down initiations started by the enemy. Alistar, Zyra, and Orianna have made it to my standard rotation for supporting. I need to work more on my Alistar, but I'm getting better.

My focus is now shifting towards other lanes. I'm capable, but not effective as I am in the support role. If I plan to solo-queue in Ranked, I need to get better at all the other jobs. I currently rotate between Malzahar and Zyra when I go mid. I prefer Malz because I enjoy the tactical playstyle he provides. I might get Heimerdinger for the same reason, and since the two champs don't play the same way.

For top-lane, I have Elise and Yorick. Yorick is a new addition to my roster, but I love the gravedigger so much! So I figured those two could be my "going top" solution providing either AD or AP focus while being somewhat "tankish".

For the jungle I currently have Volibear. Nothing is funnier than flipping your counter-jungling enemy into your camp, letting them pick up all the aggro, while biting him from safety! However, as fun as the bear is, I did significantly better with Sejuani and Hecarim when they were available in free weeks. Thus, when IP permits, I'm going to add both of them to my roster.

Iroincally, the job I'm worst at is ADC. I picked up Twitch because I love that little plague rat! I even got his Vandal skin. However, I die way too often in games when we're winning. I've been one of the contributing factors to lost games because I use him. Even when I went to beginner bots I was dying with the plague rat. I tried out Varus, Ezreal, Corki, Caitlyn, and Ashe all when they were free; I didn't take a single beginner bot death, and I was often the lowest death count in the intermediate bot games I played with them. Lesson learned - I suck with Twitch. So now I'm looking for two ADCs to play bot-lane. I like unusual mechanics - which is why I'm very fond of Draven. I like the juggling, and his interrupt. However, I haven't played him yet, so I'm (patiently) waiting for him to become free before I make a decision. The other carry who has unusual mechanics is Quinn. Despite her shorter range, she has a lot of maneuverability that I like, and I enjoy the Harrier mini-game she utilizes. I'll know for certain when she's free, but I don't like the other carries available.

Out of all the commonly picked carries in the game, the only three I haven't tried are Tristana, Draven, and Quinn. Sadly, when I tried the other carries, I actually performed better as a Zyra ADC, using my CC to help lock-down people while I killed them with auto-attacks. So I really am looking for an ADC I can use.

If you have any suggestions for ADC (or wish to comment on anything else said above) please feel free to reply. Maybe I'm just not playing the role right.

F.Y.I. I'm not the best at it yet, but I'm getting much better at buying wards when I'm not support - putting them in key places so we can farm and gank in safety.

- Featherfox

Featherfox

03-20-2013

An update on my current status:

This week hasn't seen much action - I've lost a lot of time preparing for PAX East.

This will be my official first visit to a PAX event, and I'm looking forward to checking out the Riot games booth. They've apparently got the largest booth in the Expo! I might even get the chance to meet Morello or IronStylus, though meeting anyone famous in this game would be good.

I've always been curious about the history of the game - namely who thought it up, and got it from a crazy idea to the monolith it is today. Hearing that history in person would actually be a nice cap on the event.

Something tells me I won't learn much about support there though...

Also, Protomen!

- Featherfox

Featherfox

04-08-2013

Sorry, it's been a while.

Well, I'm now officially up to 75 wins!! I'm starting to ween myself off of Zyra in case she gets banned out, or worse, someone else wants to play her.

I'm playing Draft games ahead of schedule, that's partly due to my wife's impatience at my slow progress. Draft is significantly more fun than blind pick - when I'm concerned about proper team compositions. Blind pick is more fun when I want something...random!

The deeper I go into this game, the more I truly enjoy what I see. Although I took a short-cut on the Draft idea, I'm not shorting my minimum win requirement (200 games) before joining Ranked play. I consider myself competent now, but I want to be "good" before I step up to the big leagues.

Reminiscing about when I joined LoL back in 2012 reminded me I have an Arcade Sona skin - the champion that got me hooked on the game. So I dusted her off, and I've started playing her again. Oddly, there's this problem I've been having with her though:

Why do I like playing Sona with a Zeke's Herald???

- Featherfox