A new player to the PvP circuit

12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Featherfox

11-26-2012

Hello everyone,

My name is Featherfox, and I do still consider myself new to the game of League of Legends. I am currently level 20, which I acquired by playing against beginner and intermediate bots.

Of all the roles I've tried, I enjoy the support role the best. I found my best success was a team-oriented focus; I enjoy creating opportunities for my allies, while denying opportunities for my enemies! Jungling is something I haven't tried much of yet, and plan to before I finally hit 30.

My goal is to main support when I finally enter ranked play. I want to be the best out there - and I'm always looking for advice on proper play. I've collected several support champions so I can provide the best support to the carry and team that I will be assisting. As soon as I get Nunu and Leona, my collection will be complete!

Should you see me out there, know that my focus is to assist the team to victory! I look forward to helping you reach the Victory screen.

If anyone has good suggestions for support, please feel free to reply here. I'm always looking for ways to improve my play style!

Good luck out there!

never seen34

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherfox View Post

If anyone has good suggestions for support, please feel free to reply here. I'm always looking for ways to improve my play style!
I personally play a lot of support. My favorite support is Taric. His stun is amazing and the armor and tankiness that he provides for the carry is really good. I find that i like tanky supports better because i like to take damage so the carry wont take as much so i usually play blitz, taric, and malphite and other champions of the sort.

Featherfox

11-26-2012

The tanky approach! I can get behind that.

I know it's a silly question, but how do you feel about Taric's voice? I'd love the champion a lot better if I didn't have to listen to him while moving...

Seriously though, I must agree with you about his kit! Armor buff, AP/AD buff, and a useful quick stun!! It's good to support almost any champion, with a heal for sustain! What do you think of him compared to Nunu though? Also, Soraka provides the armor and heals while fueling the carry's mana. What would you say is a good situation to provide Taric's support in lieu of Soraka or Nunu?

I appreciate the information, and keep the posts coming!

never seen34

11-26-2012

Well I have been seeing a lot of nunus lately and i understand he has sustain and has a lot of slow, but he cant help his carry with the sustain. The positive side is that he provides much more damage than taric so he can help damage so the carry doesnt have to work as hard but that doesnt really work if you have a support that can peel people off his carry like taric. Soraka i know had the aoe armor and magic resist and a lot of heal and i would definetly consider her if you werent dealing with a lane with a lot of burst. My favorite carry to play is corki and he would shred soraka to bits, but in a lane like maybe caitlin or kog where they are more sustained damage then taric is a better pick. so they are really situation. Overall i just like taric as my main support but i agree his voice lines could be redone

TehomCD

11-26-2012

Zyra and Fiddlesticks are less conventional supports that are situationally very strong, similar to Blitzcrank or Leona in their ability to set up kills and peel attackers off carries. Zyra's currently my favorite support - she can be very difficult to deal with in a lot of lanes due to her poke and CC. I play Sona, Soraka, Taric, and Nunu also - Nunu is probably the one I like the least, since his primary contribution is just through bloodboil, making him pretty passive aside from iceblast and his ult; I don't like being so dependent on my carry knowing what he's doing in solo queue.

Featherfox

11-26-2012

Thanks for your replies!

1) I appreciate the information on Taric - and you've given me something new to think about. Thank you!

2) I never thought of Fiddlesticks as support!! Fiddlesticks, Zyra, and possible Jarvan IV seem to be eccentric supports that don't want to be - but still offers power to help the carry if starved for gold.

Another thing I noticed though - Shen looks like he'd make great support - but he's yelled at to go top for his great potential there. Would it be so bad to run Shen in the support role? Awesome initiator that helps with heal sustain so the carry can win trades or engagements.. Or am I seeing something wrong?

All replies are appreciated!

never seen34

11-26-2012

I dont see any reason why shen cant go support. He would most likely be better top though because otherwise he wont be as useful in team fights without farm. Another good support that is usually told to go somewhere else is amumu but thats just because nobody wants to lane with amumu because he is depressing so they send him to the jungle... haha jk he is actually a good support but he is better with being in the jungle

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-26-2012

I do play Shen support occasionally. He's not ideal, because the core support start doesn't do much for him, so he's always going to be at a certain disadvantage when compared to a standard support, whether he goes with the Faerie->Philo-->SR, because the mana regen will be useless for him, or not, because he'll have to take a different and less effective gold per ten in addition to HoG.

This also upsets his starting items, since you can't get a piece of a gold per ten and come to lane with a reasonable number of wards. I usually start Regrowth and one ward, since I tend to take the Faerie path regardless, but you might also consider boots/wards/pots, or just alot of wards.

In lane, he's actually quite effective - you can use your Q to heal your carry without pushing the lane too much, and you can E to initiate with taunt, peel someone off your carry, or escape. The shield from W is also good for initiating, peeling, and escaping, although it's not as effective as a targetable shield like Janna's or Karma's.

Ulting can be a problem - on the one hand, it doesn't leave your lane entirely undefended and vulnerable to pushing, like a top Shen, but it does abandon your most vulnerable teammate. If you support Shen, make sure your carry understands how you work, and has the awareness to be able to react to your sudden departure. You can also use it on your lane partner if needed, especially if you need to return to lane in a hurry(provided you didn't also leave lane via ulting).

I tend to follow a pretty standard support build path, starting Regen + ward, backing for Philo + wards, and moving into HoG + boots(and also wards) on later backs. After that I'll build an Aegis and Mercs(or Tabi). On most supports, I'd build Philo into SR, or start on Soul Shroud or Zeke's, but on Shen I'll almost always build Zeke's at this point, and sometimes even before Aegis, simply because it's more effective for him then for any other support, and still gives the same benefit to your lane partner(and other teammates).

For supporting in general, you'll want to go deep into the green mastery tree for the starting gold and gold generation, and for runes, I like armor seals, MR/level glyphs, and Gold/10 quints. On most supports, armor or MPen marks are effective, but on Shen, I run AS runes to proc my Ki Strike more often when I engage.

Hope this helps.

Featherfox

11-26-2012

never seen34: Thank you for your continual support in this thread; your advice is most appreciated.

Sereg Anfaug: That is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for! Detailed, and full of pros and cons for the decision to play Shen with little cash. Like the suggestion of Zyra, I've got more to think about.

To anyone else who's reading, please feel free to add your own advice. I'm finding all of this helpful! I have been practicing as support against beginner and intermediate bots. I've even tried a few normal games, though some go better than others.

Actually, for the next question: what do you do when your carry decides to be passive, and other lanes can use your support? I know that each individual situation is different, but I'm curious from a standard perspective if it's better to keep the carry alive (even though he'd rather farm than kill), or is it better to ensure no lanes fall?

As always, thanks for the support in helping a new player grow within the community!

Popsiclefresh

11-27-2012

Hurray!
Someone that reminds me of myself. I also have just reached level 20 and my personal favorite thing to do is jungle or play solo top. And appreciate any advice I'm given.

12345 ... 6