Viktor: Modify the Machine Herald!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Egad

11-21-2012

Introduction:

Greetings, Summoners! Over time, I have grown to like Viktor, the Machine Herald. At first, I thought he was a challenge--extremely difficult to play correctly and even moreso to master! The Death Ray is one of my favorite abilities in the game, it's just fun to laser down your enemies from a distance and hearing Viktor laugh vindictively while he's doing so is just plain fun! The reason I'm posting this is because, while Viktor is one of my favorite champions to play as, I feel as though he's still a bit lackluster.

I have put major points of this in bold print. Skip around points if you'd rather not read the whole thing.

Power Transfer

Viktor's Q ability, Power Transfer, works similarly to Mordekaiser's shield--by using it, you're basically trading damage for protection. The main idea behind Power Transfer is that it gives Viktor a hit-and-run capability. He can poke his enemies with Power Transfter and gain a shield that will (hopefully) take the brunt of whatever retaliation your enemy has in store for you after you've used it.

There's no denying that Power Transfer is also effective as a damage-dealing ability all by itself. It can finish off enemies who survive your initial onslaught coupling Death Ray and Chaos Storm. However, Power Transfer's gimmick--the brief shield--leaves much to be desired. The problems with the shield are in how quickly Viktor gains it, how quickly your enemy will react when make the effort to use Power Transfer on them, how much strength the shield has after you've activated activation, and how quickly it lasts. At its best, Power Transfer will probably save Viktor from one enemy attack--not including crow-control abilities which the shield cannot protect you from. Even during the later stages of your game, Power Transfer will only provide a 250-300 shield which extremely pathetic when you consider the potential damage you will be taking at that point in the game.

Let's say you've accumulated 750 AP after obtaining a full build, plus Baron Nashor and potions. Your shield strength will only be 300HP. At best, this protects you from a single non-crit basic attack--and you're still vulnerable to crowd control effects. And suppose Karthus were to ult you--you'd be pressed to find a minion just to activate your shield in order to save yourself. In all reality, however, Karthus's ult does a 1k average of damage during the latter portions of the game, so 700 of that damage is still going to hit you even if you're smart and managed to throw up your shield.

There needs to be a greater reward for the risk of getting close enough to the enemy to use Power Transfer and gain a weak shield that evaporates in 3 seconds.

Spell Vamp as a Power Transfer Shield Alternative:

Power Transfer would function much more effectively if it granted provided a Spell Vamp coefficient instead of a brief shield. Spell Vamp retained to Power Transfer alone, and separate from Viktor's other abilities (unless, of course, the Summoner decided to buy Spell Vamp items for Viktor). The idea here is to give Viktor something more stable as opposed to an extremely brief smidgeon of protection. Every rank will raise the percentages and Power Transfer truly becomes a defensive-offensive spell.

It would look something like this:-

Power Transfer:
Active: Viktor sends a device at an enemy unit to blast them for magic damage. This spell gains bonus spell vamp
Magic Damage: 80 / 125 / 170 / 215 / 260 (+ 65% AP)
Spell Vamp: 3% / 6% / 9% / 12% / 15%

Or, make it like Ahri's Essence Theft in that Viktor would have to stack multiple Power Transfers in a row before gaining a bonus spell vamp Power Transfer upon next cast. Ultimately, this is working toward a more sustainable Viktor and better reward for the risk of throwing a Power Transfer into the frey and hoping the shield takes the brunt of whatever damage might come your way.

This way, at Rank 5 with about 700AP, Viktor would be healing himself about 100HP every time he uses Power Transfer. Light, yes, but way more reliable in the long run than a 3-second shield. This would also make the Augment: Power upgrade more desirable as hit-and-run tactics more effective.

Mana Regeneration: The Issue and Mana as a Power Transfer Alternative

Despite investing in Runes of Clarity and Meditation, I've found that Viktor is a particularly mana-hungry champion. I usually purchase a Chalice of Harmony (eventually becoming Athene's Unholy Grail as the late game approaches) just to maintain constant vigil of my tower without having to invest in Clarity as a crutch for low mana. In particularly, other AP champions like Karthus, Veigar, Swain, and Cho'gath have abilities that allow a continuous flow of mana into their reservoir without the necessity of being so dependent on their itemization. As a second alternative, it would be extremely handy if Power Transfer assisted Viktor in his mana regeneration by granting him an amount based on his AP. Swain, Karthus, and even Cho'gath are able to regain their mana by killing minions. Here's an idea--when Power Transfer is used to kill, Viktor gain a small amount of mana in return for that kill!

Staff Augmentations

This has been a pet-peeve ever since Viktor arrived, but I'll restate it anyway. It's probably a testament to how powerful Riot believes Viktor is that they make him buy his passive ability in addition to having it take up one of his item slots. I don't know if it's because I'm particularly good with Viktor or not, but I've found that despite being--in essence--limited to just 5 items that Viktor is still extremely efficient at killing his opponents.

The tricky part is just making sure you've done well enough early game to fulfill your endgame obligations. Here's what's ultimately the problem with this 5-item set-up:

Karthus Build (Example):
-Sorcerer's Shoes
-Rod of Ages
-Rylai's Crystal Scepter
-Rabadon's Deathcap
-Void Staff
-Archangel's Staff

Viktor Build (Example):
-Sorcerer's Shoes
-Rod of Ages
-Rylai's Crystal Scepter
-Rabadon's Deathcap
-Void Staff
-Augment: Death

In other words, in this example, Karthus benefits from the mana, ability power, and mana regeneration from an Archangel's Staff. Unfortunately, I cannot do the same thing with Viktor because his Hex Core will always take up one item slot. Yes, I can live without that, but I will not disassociate Viktor from the fact that this is a glaring limitation that he has in relation to every other champion in the game who is allowed 6 items. Hell, this even means that you can't build a complete troll build if you wanted to go AD Viktor because none of the Augments lend themselves to Attack Damage.

I'd like to propose that, upon buying an augment, that it becomes a permanent fixture in Viktor's item slot and that the Hex Core slot in Viktor's inventory open itself to a sixth item.

Yellow Augment:

In the same vein as the idea dealing with allowing Power Transfer to dip into natural Spell Vamp, so too do I propose that the yellow augment grant Viktor an amount of Spell Vamp in addition to the movement speed boost. Replace the current health regeneration factor--something that would be a lot more helpful for tanks and not so much for an AP carry. This is the idea:-

Augment: Power: Power Transfer increases Viktor's movement speed by 30% for 3 seconds. The item grants him +3 ability power per level, +220 health and 10% Spell Vamp.

Blue Augment:

I've tried running Viktor as being more support-friendly, maxing out my CDR, and throwing up a gravity trap during team fights. Despite picking up a generous amount of assist for my good deeds, I think it's better to leave the supporting to actual support champions rather than an AP carry built for damage. The blue buff might be more worthwhile if it sped up the slowing effects and increased the stun length. In its current state, however, The yellow and red augments trump this one.

Red Augment:

9 games out of 10 you'll probably choose this augment simply because it provides you with what you desire most as an AP carry-- more damage! Despite what I mentioned earlier about Viktor being limited, this augment is still awesome!

Conclusion:

I love the laser! I love Viktor! I just don't particularly like how Power Transfer works. If anything, just give Power Transfer a Spell Vamp coefficient--even if it works in small increments like his shield currently does.

Tarheelcam

11-22-2012

love it...best viktor recommendation ive seen

as Desolator

11-22-2012

he writes alot he gets up voted

CerealBoxOfDoom

11-22-2012

not reading all this but he is getting reworked

Orîon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-22-2012

in season three, they're adding a second tier to each hex core which will augment his ult.
and they make the ****in second tiers SO attractive (tier two gravity hex core places the gravity field INSTANTLY and it's 20% bigger, along with the increased range from tier 1.)

he's already a great champion, and he doesn't need to be changed.
the only MAJOR letdown is his mana regen, which is the worst out of every champion in the game.

IonDragonX

11-22-2012

Sorry, dude. He's already getting some internal attention at Riot. They are working on Tier 3 versions of his power Core. There is NO WAY to tell how long they will work on it, tho.

The Egad

11-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionasdf View Post
in season three, they're adding a second tier to each hex core which will augment his ult.
and they make the ****in second tiers SO attractive (tier two gravity hex core places the gravity field INSTANTLY and it's 20% bigger, along with the increased range from tier 1.)

he's already a great champion, and he doesn't need to be changed.
the only MAJOR letdown is his mana regen, which is the worst out of every champion in the game.
I mentioned the mana regeneration part. I still believe the shield is extremely lackluster--even during the latter portions of the game when you've stacked plenty of AP.

I mean, let's say you've accumulated 750AP after obtaining a full build, plus Baron Nashor and potions. Your shield strength will only be 300HP. At best, this protects you from a single non-crit basic attack--and you're still vulnerable to crowd control effects. And suppose Karthus were to ult you--you'd be pressed to find a minion just to activate your shield in order to save yourself. In all reality, however, Karthus's ult does a 1k average of damage during the latter portions of the game, so 700 of that is still going to get through even if you're smart.

The Egad

11-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealBoxOfDoom View Post
not reading all this but he is getting reworked
Where can you find out more about the reworking processes?

Orîon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Egad View Post
I mentioned the mana regeneration part. I still believe the shield is extremely lackluster--even during the latter portions of the game when you've stacked plenty of AP.

I mean, let's say you've accumulated 750AP after obtaining a full build, plus Baron Nashor and potions. Your shield strength will only be 300HP. At best, this protects you from a single non-crit basic attack--and you're still vulnerable to crowd control effects. And suppose Karthus were to ult you--you'd be pressed to find a minion just to activate your shield in order to save yourself. In all reality, however, Karthus's ult does a 1k average of damage during the latter portions of the game, so 700 of that is still going to get through even if you're smart.
the purpose of that item isn't to shield you

it's to do a ****ton of damage.

The Egad

11-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionasdf View Post
the purpose of that item isn't to shield you

it's to do a ****ton of damage.
Actually, the purpose of that spell (not the item) is to shield you and do damage.

Read the description:

Viktor sends a device at an enemy unit to blast them for magic damage, which then returns to him granting a shield for up to 3 seconds with an amount equal to 40% of the damage dealt before reduction.

If the description ended with "...blast them for magic damage" then I would agree with you. However, the description ends with "...which then returns to him granting a shield for up to 3 seconds with an amount equal to 40% of the damage dealth before reduction."

The point which I clearly stated in my post was that the shield is extremely weak and short-lived for what it's worth. Gaining a 5-300 HP shield (depending on early or late game) is pathetic.