looking to expand my arsenali

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bl00dless101

11-26-2012

I want to become a more rounded player, but right now I only play 1 or two jungle champs(mundo/cho), 1 top(jax), and two mids(hiemer/ap kog). If I wanted to add more champs for those 3 roles, which champions would be the strongest options?

EventHorizonn

11-26-2012

It's funny because your title says arsenALI. Alistar really is not a good jungler though, don't pick him unless you want a support. One of my favorite jungles (I play jungle and top) is amumu for jungle. His aoe is outstanding. My second favorite might have to be Lee Sin, if you're considering spending a lot. Olaf is probably my favorite top champion, and can be played very well.

Grollm

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejoshwolf View Post
It's funny because your title says arsenALI. Alistar really is not a good jungler though, don't pick him unless you want a support. One of my favorite jungles (I play jungle and top) is amumu for jungle. His aoe is outstanding. My second favorite might have to be Lee Sin, if you're considering spending a lot. Olaf is probably my favorite top champion, and can be played very well.
wah? Alistar was a tier 1 jungler in season 2. It's yet to be determined what his tier will be in season 3, but I assume he should at least be a tier 2 jungler due to his amazing ganks and the ability to tower dive like a boss.

EventHorizonn

11-26-2012

Yeah, his ganks are amazing and everything I just don't think he's very fit for competitive jungling with his slow clears. I misspoke in that earlier post, he is good, just not amazing.

mnun

11-26-2012

You own cho, play him top, he's awesome

Grollm

11-26-2012

his clear isn't slow? In season 2 his clear time was better than average. Not as fast as Mundo or Shyvana, but definitely not as slow as WW or Fiddlesticks. The key to Ali in season 2 was to make sure you kept your passive up at all times so your aoe would tick down the other mobs that you weren't attacking. The reason I keep emphasizing season 2, is because they are changing the way aoe works in the jungle so the brunt of the aoe damage is going to be taken by the big mob in the camp.

mdiaz28

11-26-2012

Alistar was great jungle but nerfs of him and nautilus have kinda brought both of them down a notch. Great early game ganks but then they fall behind. I would say keep Alistar support. I'm more scared of alistar support then jungle

first time Vayne

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bl00dless101 View Post
I want to become a more rounded player, but right now I only play 1 or two jungle champs(mundo/cho), 1 top(jax), and two mids(hiemer/ap kog). If I wanted to add more champs for those 3 roles, which champions would be the strongest options?
I'll give you a list of safe bets to teach you a wider variety of play styles in each role.

Jungle: Udyr, Shyvanna, Pantheon, Warwick, Malphite, Fiddlesticks (if you're bold)

Udyr and Shyvanna are excellent junglers and counterjunglers, and Pantheon is a pretty good and underutilized early ganker. Warwick is a common jungle pick because of his sustain, and Malphite is a great tanky jungler. Fiddle is harder because he's squishy and incredibly mana hungry (i.e. Blue dependent). Ward your jungle and watch out for steals. Try to steal their Blue if you can. His ganks are pretty funny post-6, though.

Top: Cho'Gath, Garen, Akali, Shen, Irelia, Mundo, Heimer, Teemo, Malphite, Vladimir

Cho, Malphite, and sometimes Mundo are common tanky tops. Garen is a good fighter who is easy to learn. Akali can escalate to hyper carry status, but she requires finesse and time -- I say try her out. Teemo is probably the hardest on the list, but he's so much fun and so deadly once you get used to him. Irelia needs SO MUCH FARM, but she's good at getting it with her Q. Build Trinity Force and tanky stuff on her, and then watch your opponents cry when you become OP. And Vladimir is ap and has crazy sustain.

Mid: Cho'Gath, Katarina, Annie, Ryze, Teemo, Akali, Veigar, Orianna, Kassadin, Anivia, Vladimir

Cho'Gath is an unexpected mid choice, but he gets powerful with a straight ap build (not tank), and can transition into a high-damage off-tank late game. Katarina is a roaming mid with great ganks. She can become a hyper carry too. Akali has an easier time pushing some squishy mid champs around, but she is delicate pre-6. Be careful with her, and you'll learn her good and bad matchups. Teemo again...cuz I <3 him. Ryze and Annie are safe bets to learn here, and Veigar is scary once you get to know him. He is his own play style...just focus on that Q farm and blow everyone up. Orianna and Anivia have few or no direct counters and unique play styles, and Kassadin is...well...Kassadin. He's as hard to kill when his ult is up as he is hard to run away from, and can do pretty good damage when fed a little.

All of these are strong picks, and they represent a variety of champion types and play styles. Notice that there is a lot of overlap... I recommend bringing Cho'Gath top and mid to get used to shaking things up and trying new builds. Jungle Jax a couple times too. Bringing familiar champs into new lanes is the best way to transition into new roles, other champs, and unique play styles.

Then watch gameplay, champ spotlights, and "don't feed" videos for some of these other picks, buy ones that you like, and have fun!