ELO Is Luck

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Archaic Zeus

11-26-2012

I made my own post maybe 2 minutes ago, then i saw this one. Heh. I've been having the same problem, just keep getting people that don't understand game mechanics. For example, ADCs that think they should engage on a 5v5 team fight, thus making it a 4v5. I really don't know what to do, half the games I play are people I don't think I should dodge on. We win early and mid game, but then they end up throwing late game with stupid engagements, and terrible positioning. 5th loss in a row because of all this. Really sick of it.

xMugix

11-26-2012

People who say elo is luck are the people who will never rise in elo. Just throwing that out there. Yes, I've only managed a measly 1.3k elo before the end of Season 2 thinking I deserved better (I messed up in my placement matches and carried myself from the 900's to 1.3k in a few weeks) How did this occur? Using positive energy and thought you can rise in elo. Admitting you deserve to be at your elo is the first step. Almost everyone is in the 1000-1400's in elo. To be higher you need to be extremely knowledgable on the game or have godly mechanics. Once you have one really nailed down you'll shoot up to 1600 elo and once you get the other you'll go up to 2000 elo. Now how do you go higher? Attitude. Works at all elos. If you're on a losing streak, even two, three games go play normal draft pick. It's relaxing and funner. Go back to ranked with a positive vibe and you'll do better.

Don't believe me? Watch gbay99 on youtube. He's amazing at explaining the concepts behind this. You can dismiss me as a scrub or just keep complaining about being unlucky or do something about it.

On a side note if you're trying to figure out how to rise in elo besides the mentality it's punishing mistakes. That's how the pros get their smurfs to 2k elo in a few days. At high elo you play passive and wait for a mistake. At lower elo's you can just consistently punish your opponent for mistakes can snowball your lead. This may sound basic and you may say you do this but trust me. If you did you'd probably win a ton of more games no matter how **** your teammates are. Ahri misses a Q? Beat her down, force her to back and make her lose a creep wave or two because of it. Your bot lane is getting stomped and constantly getting dove because the enemy draven is 10 - 0 Go down there and when they dive kill him, or feed the kill to the lane so they can get back up on their feet.

Just my two cents.

Archaic Zeus

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMugix View Post
People who say elo is luck are the people who will never rise in elo. Just throwing that out there. Yes, I've only managed a measly 1.3k elo before the end of Season 2 thinking I deserved better (I messed up in my placement matches and carried myself from the 900's to 1.3k in a few weeks) How did this occur? Using positive energy and thought you can rise in elo. Admitting you deserve to be at your elo is the first step. Almost everyone is in the 1000-1400's in elo. To be higher you need to be extremely knowledgable on the game or have godly mechanics. Once you have one really nailed down you'll shoot up to 1600 elo and once you get the other you'll go up to 2000 elo. Now how do you go higher? Attitude. Works at all elos. If you're on a losing streak, even two, three games go play normal draft pick. It's relaxing and funner. Go back to ranked with a positive vibe and you'll do better.

Don't believe me? Watch gbay99 on youtube. He's amazing at explaining the concepts behind this. You can dismiss me as a scrub or just keep complaining about being unlucky or do something about it.

On a side note if you're trying to figure out how to rise in elo besides the mentality it's punishing mistakes. That's how the pros get their smurfs to 2k elo in a few days. At high elo you play passive and wait for a mistake. At lower elo's you can just consistently punish your opponent for mistakes can snowball your lead. This may sound basic and you may say you do this but trust me. If you did you'd probably win a ton of more games no matter how **** your teammates are. Ahri misses a Q? Beat her down, force her to back and make her lose a creep wave or two because of it. Your bot lane is getting stomped and constantly getting dove because the enemy draven is 10 - 0 Go down there and when they dive kill him, or feed the kill to the lane so they can get back up on their feet.

Just my two cents.
Every post saying how they got out of the "luck cycle" of elo or elo hell or whatever has always said positive attitudes. I promise you I've done that, in fact theres no way you can be in a bad mood when you team is 16-5 mid game with 2 turrets pushed to their 0. My problem is people throwing the game during late game. carries who think its their job to initiate and tank a 5v5 encounter. There's no excuse for stupid stuff like that after winning every lane. I also wait a bit, watch some tv, get something to eat, and i come back energized to win. Lose again to the same problem. Even after i get my mid lane and my top lane fed with ganks.

Solemendal

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-26-2012

The problem with this idea is it would be so hard to program plus people would be trying pad there stats you know ksing or not even trying to save team mates ect

xMugix

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaic Zeus View Post
Every post saying how they got out of the "luck cycle" of elo or elo hell or whatever has always said positive attitudes. I promise you I've done that, in fact theres no way you can be in a bad mood when you team is 16-5 mid game with 2 turrets pushed to their 0. My problem is people throwing the game during late game. carries who think its their job to initiate and tank a 5v5 encounter. There's no excuse for stupid stuff like that after winning every lane. I also wait a bit, watch some tv, get something to eat, and i come back energized to win. Lose again to the same problem. Even after i get my mid lane and my top lane fed with ganks.
Then your missing out on something else. Mechanics, leadership, opportunist..ect. For instance, I've watched Chaox do his marathon on his smurf. Most of the time he didn't even bother playing ad carry because he knew it would be unfair. Even as a top, mid or jungle or support Chaox would completely destroy his lane (from what I've seen), and I've seen him lose his fair share of games while smurfing because of bad teammates but he still got out. Why? Here is some simple math from gbay99
If you are in your elo because of "feeders, afks, trolls...ect" you should be at 3k elo for all I know why? Because you have far better odds then of having a troll or feeder on the enemy team. Because you only have a 4/9 chance of getting one while the enemy team has a 5/9. So therefore you could argue it is luck but statistically speaking over a longer amount of time or after more time invested in playing your elo should rise massively due to these trolls or afks.

And for me it's just a pet peeve when people say "I dont belong in this elo" " I ALWAYS win my lane but my team feeds" and all that because it's been proven that you do 99% of the time. Admitting it will allow you to improve. If you think you're that 1% your unlucky and over time will get out of that elo. And elo hell is a mentality. For Scarra 2.6k elo is elo hell (somewhat as a joke I believe) . For my friend 800 is elo hell, my other friend at 1.5k says he's in elo hell. Elo hell is a silly mentality that people have.

I'm just kinda ranting btw so sorry for poor english or being all over the place.

Archaic Zeus

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMugix View Post
Then your missing out on something else. Mechanics, leadership, opportunist..ect. For instance, I've watched Chaox do his marathon on his smurf. Most of the time he didn't even bother playing ad carry because he knew it would be unfair. Even as a top, mid or jungle or support Chaox would completely destroy his lane (from what I've seen), and I've seen him lose his fair share of games while smurfing because of bad teammates but he still got out. Why? Here is some simple math from gbay99
If you are in your elo because of "feeders, afks, trolls...ect" you should be at 3k elo for all I know why? Because you have far better odds then of having a troll or feeder on the enemy team. Because you only have a 4/9 chance of getting one while the enemy team has a 5/9. So therefore you could argue it is luck but statistically speaking over a longer amount of time or after more time invested in playing your elo should rise massively due to these trolls or afks.

And for me it's just a pet peeve when people say "I dont belong in this elo" " I ALWAYS win my lane but my team feeds" and all that because it's been proven that you do 99% of the time. Admitting it will allow you to improve. If you think you're that 1% your unlucky and over time will get out of that elo. And elo hell is a mentality. For Scarra 2.6k elo is elo hell (somewhat as a joke I believe) . For my friend 800 is elo hell, my other friend at 1.5k says he's in elo hell. Elo hell is a silly mentality that people have.

I'm just kinda ranting btw so sorry for poor english or being all over the place.
Like looking back at the games, I couldn't carry them through late game because I played a champion like Nocturne that doesn't have a very strong late game. 2/3 of the games that were thrown by our bot lane during late game I played Nocturne. Something to be said for the team comp. I only play Nocturne when we have a tankier team. However, I also play Nocturne expecting competent teammates. If I have to address every game like I have to carry it with all my strength and soul then it will just be a silly chore for me more than it already is. I'm not saying I win my lane every game, I have my bad games too. Like I said I'm irritated with players throwing the game during late game AFTER we won laning phase and mid game. Feeding and trolling games I don't even count as ranked losses, they're just bad games that I have to move on from. It's the games that my team had no excuse, but still lost to earnestly no fault of my own. I can't help a 4v5 encounter when our ADC decides he wants to tank.

I probably will get out of this lower rank just out of the desire, point is its frustrating and it shouldn't have to be like this. My complaint is more on the human race because what the hell is Riot going to do? There is no way to make this "fair" in a programming stand point. This is just simply frustrating.

Flagrock

11-26-2012

All I can say for this is yes, ELO is based on luck for your first 10-50 games. After 100 games you cannot blame only luck. Let's actually think about math and statistics. You have 10 people playing this game, 1 player is you. There are 5 people on each team. You are saying that you win your lane EVERY game and do amazing. SO your enemy has 5 people that can be bad/trolls/afkers/etc. Your team can only have a possibility of 4. Now let's look at statistics for this. There is a 40% chance your team will have someone who will lose you the game. The ENEMY TEAM HAS A 50% CHANCE that they will have someone who will lose THEM the game. Now, 50 > 40. So, how the way the world works is that you will get less of that than the other team, UNLESS YOU ARE THE SOURCE. Now, let's read on.

I totally understand where you are coming from. In Season 2 I experienced the same thing, complained and raged, and quit ranked. I came back to ranked at the end of Season 2 (like the last month) and I decided no matter what I'd stay positive and try to be supportive of my team. I moved from around 900 ELO to 1093. That was in about 15-20 games. Now in Season 3, I've done the exact same pledge. First game of ranked, I got trolled in champ select because I went top and counter picked over the last person in picking. They went support and constantly insulted me throughout the game. I kept positive and we won the game with me (my Lee Sin game if you try and look at my profile) doing a 7.7 KDA I think. The other lanes struggled but being positive we pulled through. The 3rd game I played was my Jax game. Our Alistar and Graves acted like 5 year olds and yelled and whined about each other. Heck, the Alistar left Graves bot to come top to troll Graves. I was again positive and tried to get Alistar back to bottom, and after a triple kill top when Graves and Alistar were top together with me, they finally stopped fighting and decided to win the game. I am not saying that it was me who won the games every time, but I can promise you that I'd of lost those games if I sunk and complained about the people who trolled there. It was hard to fight through and I was angry and flusterated both games and they were extremely close. But, being positive HELPED my team because one less person was causing issues. Just try to be positive and after hundreds of games you'll get to where you should be. ELO is only a number the real winners in LoL are the people who have a blast even when they win OR LOSE. I'd have to say my most fun and greatest games were the times I have lost, but the team was great and we were all positive. This is a game to have fun, ELO is just an added bonus.