ELO Is Luck

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

eVoqt

11-26-2012

Hello, I am a 1400 player, just experiencing the golden area of ELO hell. I have lost 10 games straight due to legitimate 1v5s (everyone on my team feeds except me). I am now playing at ELO 200 below my potential, so for those of you who think ELO isn't just 100% luck, enlighten me then, I haven't had a good team for 10 straight games. Matchmaking consistently puts me with the worst team over and over and over.

Riot should change the system so that, someone like myself who belongs at a much higher ELO, is put on the winning team to get me back to where I belong, cause playing like this really makes me want to just quit playing altogether, I have teammates who go 0-15 consistently. But apparently this is the SAME skill level as myself. So really though, what does one do when getting placed on the worst teams this game can possibly produce.

DoubleDogDareeus

11-26-2012

I really think ELO scaling should depend on individual performance, not team performance. Would create a much fairer and accurate rating system.

For example...yesterday I played a normal game with my bf. I played Sona, he played Amumu. Yes, we both went bot. We called it first, then someone decided to go Vayne and rage to my bf about how YOU CANT POSSIBLY GO AMUMU BOT OMFG. My bf goes on to be 11-0. Vayne goes 3-5. We still lost the game, and we were blamed for the loss by Vayne.

Had this been ranked, I feel that myself, with 22 assists and 5 kills of my own, and my bf should have received ELO boosts, while vayne received a reduction in ELO.

This would eliminate feeding and trolls and would recognize that good players can get stuck with jerks but not punish them for it.

eVoqt

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDogDareeus View Post
I really think ELO scaling should depend on individual performance, not team performance. Would create a much fairer and accurate rating system.

For example...yesterday I played a normal game with my bf. I played Sona, he played Amumu. Yes, we both went bot. We called it first, then someone decided to go Vayne and rage to my bf about how YOU CANT POSSIBLY GO AMUMU BOT OMFG. My bf goes on to be 11-0. Vayne goes 3-5. We still lost the game, and we were blamed for the loss by Vayne.

Had this been ranked, I feel that myself, with 22 assists and 5 kills of my own, and my bf should have received ELO boosts, while vayne received a reduction in ELO.

This would eliminate feeding and trolls and would recognize that good players can get stuck with jerks but not punish them for it.
Well to be fair...that is a normal where the meta doesn't matter. If you had have done that in ranked you would have been reported for trolling, as sending Amumu Sona bot leaves no place for an ADC other than I suppose top, but that wouldn't work at all.

Grollm

11-26-2012

A lot of it is due to what is going on in lobby. If your team isn't communicating in the lobby, chances are they aren't going to communicate in game. You have to use your sixth sense and decide if the game is worth playing or not. Like for instance, 3 out of the 5 people you queue with don't speak English. Dodge. If you get someone who says, "top or I feed,"dodge. Or sometimes I dodge if they don't say anything at all. Or sometimes I will just dodge if it's a stupid match up or our leader bans troll bans and the enemy team ends up with Morgana, Shen, Malphite, Blitzcrank, and Ezreal. I know some people say that it's silly to dodge queues and have to wait, but right now as the system is, it's better to dodge and have to wait 30 minutes and get a somewhat competent team. I would rather not play the game with a support Teemo, a Rammus top, Twitch Jungle, Viktor Mid, and adc Kennen and waste 30-40 minutes of your time AND lose elo.Last season I would play any game and every game and as a result my elo dropped very low. Just feel your team in the lobby and make your decision whether to play or dodge.

DoubleDogDareeus

11-26-2012

Yeah, I realize that. I think a lot of people fail to realize that skill is much more important than the meta that ranked players cling to. There are so many nuances of the game to be mastered, to a point where even items and roles can't replace skill. I think the meta actually hinders players.

EyeHearShapes

11-26-2012

Elo isnt all luck. Why do u think the pros have great elo every season . The luck part is hoping that one of ur player doesnt make a mistake b4 one of there player . One mistake by one player can cause a 4 v 5 and even a player whos fed 12/0 still would have trouble holding a turret late game against a 5v4 push.

Typhoo Tea

11-26-2012

They need to rate it on personal skill, seriously. I'm maining support atm i've not stepped into ranked yet but support and jungle roles require serious synergy with your team to even work and i'm not looking forward to going into games as support if my elo is based on how well we play as a team, since there is no way i can carry especially when i spend probabaly half my cash on wards. In an average game if i die say 2 - 5 times but get 20 assists and no kills i will go through a few oracles too but i should be rewarded for my personal performance through my assists.

This way trolls would hinder your team less and if you have a troll even if you lose the game if you played well yourself you won't have your ELO ruined by trolls or team mates that have a bad game or aren't playing to their potential etc

Typhoo Tea

11-26-2012

Not only this but carries will make more of an effort to play with their team to gain assists so people will teamfight more to raise their personal performance and gain ELO

DarkBlackKid

11-26-2012

Same thing happened to me I started off 9-3 and than lost a match ever since than I have been put on teams with people who don't know how to play their roles. I had an olaf play top and he was up against a warwick and he started losing and eventually he stopped laning and just stood by tower giving warwick free farm. Another example of this is a katarina who (I assume was her first time) doesn't know how to use her abilities and feeds mid and bottom. This type of stuff has been happening constantly that now I have given up on ranked :/

DarkBlackKid

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grollm View Post
A lot of it is due to what is going on in lobby. If your team isn't communicating in the lobby, chances are they aren't going to communicate in game. You have to use your sixth sense and decide if the game is worth playing or not. Like for instance, 3 out of the 5 people you queue with don't speak English. Dodge. If you get someone who says, "top or I feed,"dodge. Or sometimes I dodge if they don't say anything at all. Or sometimes I will just dodge if it's a stupid match up or our leader bans troll bans and the enemy team ends up with Morgana, Shen, Malphite, Blitzcrank, and Ezreal. I know some people say that it's silly to dodge queues and have to wait, but right now as the system is, it's better to dodge and have to wait 30 minutes and get a somewhat competent team. I would rather not play the game with a support Teemo, a Rammus top, Twitch Jungle, Viktor Mid, and adc Kennen and waste 30-40 minutes of your time AND lose elo.Last season I would play any game and every game and as a result my elo dropped very low. Just feel your team in the lobby and make your decision whether to play or dodge.
Ye but if you keep dodging you will have to suffer with the 1 hour q timer :/ atleast if they lowered the timer it would be much more bare able but they don't so eventually your just going to be like screw it and play a game.