Jax build feedback

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ten Dollar Name

11-23-2009

I'm working out a new build for when I play Jax. It's not an AP Jax or a tank Jax, I like to call it a "Momentum" build, because it focuses on getting several hits in on your opponents before it reaches maximum potential, but the maximum potential is devastating.

I've read the guides on him, and I've come up with this build:

Abilities:
W [Jump] First priority
E [Dodge/Stun] Second Priority
Q [Empower] Last priority
R [Ultimate] Obviously points in this whenever possible.

Item build:

1)Ninja Tabi[Complete]
2)Catalyst the Protector [Component]
3)Phage [Component]
4)Banshees Veil[Complete]
5)Vampiric Scepter[Component]
6)Frozen Mallet[Complete]
7)Malady[Complete]
8)Guinsoo's Rageblade[Complete]
9)The Black Cleaver[Complete]

So your Endgame item set would be
Ninja Tabi, Banshee's Veil, Frozen Mallet, Malady, Guinsoo's Rageblade, and the Black Cleaver.

Malady, Guinsoos, and the cleaver all have "momentum" abilities that stack up the more you strike an enemy, as does Jax's ultimate. The mallet helps root them in place to maximize the synergy of all the stacking effects, and the magic resist/dodge help your survivability.

If the other team is mage heavy, you might trade the ninja tabi for some spell resistance boots. Also, if they are mage-lite, you can postpone getting banshees veil until after frozen hammer. In the very unlikely event that the team has no mages and banshees veil is useless in that match, you can postpone it until last, but you should get it at some point. Jax's big weakness is non-physical damage... because he can't dodge it. (No brainer)

For runes, I go for Dodge priority, then Attack speed. Put 9 points into defense mastery to get the dodge buff skills, then the rest in attack skills. For spells, I like to take Heal and teleport, but the second one depends on your play style. Every Jax should use Heal though, due to his nature of all your kills being chase kills, often involving a few clips from a turret in the mid-game.

To make up for getting the frozen mallet so late, I try to keep red rune up at all times. I steal the enemy red rune as much as possible. The slow effect from this helps offset not having the frozen hammer, and once you get the frozen hammer kills are typically very easy, helping cenerate cashflow for the rest of the items.

As far as playing it goes, lane from lvl 1-6. Aggro minions to proc your dodge ability, then dive in and stun enemy heroes to pester.

At level 6, you should be strong enough to kill the lizard for the red buff. You should also have Ninja Tabi and part of (if not a complete) Catalyst. With the red buff, you can begin to gank unsuspecting enemies. Try to get catalyst complete before you gank a ton, the returns it gives when you level can be a huge help, especially if you get caught in a 2 on 1 situation.

By level 12, you should have a decent killcount, and should have your Phage and Banshees veil complete. Once banshees veil is done, focus on ganking spellcasters first, to maximize the utility of your new item.

By level 16 you should have your Frozen hammer done, and you should have the components for your others items bought. If you've been lucky in ganking you will have Malady by now as well.

At level 18, you should be at or near enough money to finish off your build. Seek and destroy enemy heroes, if you still grab red buff at this point you can usually manage 2v1 and even 3v1 fights if you know how to keep them in your favor.

Playing with this strategy, I usually get upwards of 20 kills in a match, less if the enemy team has some of Jax's good rivals. Sometimes the early game can go slow for this build, the crucial thing to remember is the runes starting at level 6, and keeping them going the entire game, if you can. The blue buff is good if you have time for it, but the red buff is perfect for Jax at any level, just for the slowing effect. It's a must-have.

I hope this helps some people, i know it's a bit off from some of the other Jax builds, so I figured I'd throw it up here. If you guys have any suggestions or criticisms I'd love to hear them, I'd always like to improve.

McTapper

11-23-2009

Sounds good.

Especially because you've found the perfect mate for Rageblade.

Overcast

11-24-2009

I totally agree about the priority of Jax's ability's.

If you want to go crazy with Jax i personally go with this item build.

-Ninja Tabi
-Malady
-The Bloodthirster (x3) most of the time i can only get 2 but when the third is there... its beautiful :')
-Phantom Dancer

His hits will be insane and he will be nearly invincible near end game.

Yes i know these item are hard to obtain but the trick is to set up your runes so that you will have the edge in early game as well as the masteries build. I've found the Defense masteriers help more in early game then the other trees. Killing the enemy players early game is key to start rolling in the money, lvling, and from there its a chain effect of awesome.

Summoner spells: Ignite & Exhust

I'm just saying its a fun build

Damoclese

11-24-2009

So.. No starks Ferver for allies or anything?..

Ten Dollar Name

11-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcast View Post
I totally agree about the priority of Jax's ability's.

If you want to go crazy with Jax i personally go with this item build.

-Ninja Tabi
-Malady
-The Bloodthirster (x3) most of the time i can only get 2 but when the third is there... its beautiful :')
-Phantom Dancer

His hits will be insane and he will be nearly invincible near end game.

Yes i know these item are hard to obtain but the trick is to set up your runes so that you will have the edge in early game as well as the masteries build. I've found the Defense masteriers help more in early game then the other trees. Killing the enemy players early game is key to start rolling in the money, lvling, and from there its a chain effect of awesome.

Summoner spells: Ignite & Exhust

I'm just saying its a fun build
I don't know if I would run any Jax build with no magic resist. That's his biggest weakness.

Just to test out how useful banshees veil is alone I rana game where I had enough to sell it and rebuy it, so i sold it and got... infinity edge or something like that. Anyway, before selling it I had killed 4 of their champions back-to-back. It wasn't a 4v1 fight, but right as I killed one, the next showed up in the woods, that kind of deal.

Anyway, after dropping banshees for more damage, their Ryze solo'ed me without having to try.

I'd also rethink those spells. If you have 9 points in defense for run speed after dodge you dont need ghost to escape. With jump, you don't really need ghost to chase. And heal on you scales better than incinerate'd damage does, so IMO heal is better, because rather than a little DoT on them, you can have a big heal on yourself, and do that DoT's damage in a few swings.

Ten Dollar Name

11-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damoclese View Post
So.. No starks Ferver for allies or anything?..
This build isn't meant to run as support, so... no didn't really consider items to buff allies.

It would be nice if an ally snagged this to buff you, but it's not really needed.