ELO reset support group...match history = defeat

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

McZwick

11-26-2012

I'm not interested in a discussion about how the ELO system works...I know how it works, and it's not going to change.

Grollm...those guides are new to me, I like how detailed they are...I'll have to check them out when work slows down .

McZwick

11-26-2012

Am I the only person that doesn't blame my losing on the "broken" ELO system?

Ramachese

11-26-2012

No but unfortunately a lot of people do. In fact one of the most common statements I see is "I am better than my elo says I am". Most of these people never believe they are at fault. It is just a sign of the times we live in.

The Elo system works. Yes there is a small amount of luck in what teammates and opponents you draw. No ranking system is not going to have this when it comes to a team game. However the system works (not perfect perhaps but there is no such thing). The more games you play the more accurate it will reflect you abilities.

I've had my bad streaks as well. I only recently hit 30 myself. At one point I had a 30 game w/l deficit. It is now down to 10. I'm trying to hold off playing ranked until I have a positive w/l ratio though it is taking time. Recently I went 10 straight wins (not counting co-ops) but then suffered a 4 game losing streak. I made some bad errors in a couple of those games and in others we just got out played. Now I've won two straight and after work hope to increase that streak some more.

My main rule is if I start feeling pissed about how things are going I stop playing. I've also found that if I'm in a rut playing a coupling intermediate bot games tends to break me out of the rut. I don't know why but it works.

Grollm

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by McZwick View Post
I'm not interested in a discussion about how the ELO system works...I know how it works, and it's not going to change.

Grollm...those guides are new to me, I like how detailed they are...I'll have to check them out when work slows down .
No Problem bro! Also their champ guides are very good as well. Also read the solo lane guide, a lot of those guides really helped me out and helped me get a lot better. Just so you know everything on that site is written by pro players and usually in the intro it tells you who the player is who wrote the guide and their elo, so you know the information is coming from a good source. Also, if you want to add me, I can give probably give you some pointers. I don't have the highest elo, but I've played ALOT of games, and I've really knowledgeable about the game! I know what should be done and how it should be done, but sometimes my skill is not able to accomplish those things = P

KingSnafu

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire100 View Post
Alternatively, stop caring about ELO. It's 99% random and there's almost nothing you can do to fix that unless they revamp the formula and fix match making.

I've been telling people ELO was random for months but of course - "why should I trust you? Your ELO is only XXX". So I decided to take the reset to prove my point. I played some incredibly OP champs and only duo'd after the reset to get the greatest odds of success and won 5 of my first 6 matches. And I noticed something that I expected.

Below 1300 ELO, ranked was HARD. Everyone was good, with the occasional afk or feeder or newbie. But it was one out of ten who was bad. Everyone else had played HUNDREDS of games and was desperate to escape ELO hell and they would hack, scratch, and bite until they pulled themselves out. It was vicious, everyone warded, people were good at last-hitting, ganks were often and terrifying...

Then I broke 1300. I hit a new tier. I was playing with a new set of peers. EVERYONE. Not just one person, not 8 people, but EVERYONE was terrible. The only wards on my team all game were the ones that I laid, and I doubt the enemy laid any wards. Our AD carry didn't know what last-hit even meant, much less how to do it (had 30 CS by about 15 minutes). The enemy AD carry wasn't much better. Unfortunately I had made the mistake of playing a tank support so I didn't have heals when my AD carry face-planted their turret time and time again and the match ended in my second loss of the pre-season. I've decided since then not to play ranked unless I'm duo'ing with my friend again for the best odds.

But that told me something. The people at 1300 ELO aren't "better than 1200 ELO", they aren't "pros", they aren't even good. They're the select few who got lucky enough to win their first 5 games. Maybe at 1800 ELO the story is different, but 1200 and below honestly consists of 50% of the best players in the League, all trapped by a horrible system which doesn't give a damn how skilled you are.

biggest thing that changes elo is just the amount of games played. Once it gets 3-4 months in all the bad people in the 1300s ur talking about will be down in the 900s where they belong. Elo works but only after youve played at least 500 games.Which is where its really flawed because most people dont want to play 500-1000 games just so they can have the elo they should, but then again repetitive play is what makes you want skins and new characters which is where they make there money.

Fluffyknowsyou

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire100 View Post
Alternatively, stop caring about ELO. It's 99% random and there's almost nothing you can do to fix that unless they revamp the formula and fix match making.

I've been telling people ELO was random for months but of course - "why should I trust you? Your ELO is only XXX". So I decided to take the reset to prove my point. I played some incredibly OP champs and only duo'd after the reset to get the greatest odds of success and won 5 of my first 6 matches. And I noticed something that I expected.

Below 1300 ELO, ranked was HARD. Everyone was good, with the occasional afk or feeder or newbie. But it was one out of ten who was bad. Everyone else had played HUNDREDS of games and was desperate to escape ELO hell and they would hack, scratch, and bite until they pulled themselves out. It was vicious, everyone warded, people were good at last-hitting, ganks were often and terrifying...

Then I broke 1300. I hit a new tier. I was playing with a new set of peers. EVERYONE. Not just one person, not 8 people, but EVERYONE was terrible. The only wards on my team all game were the ones that I laid, and I doubt the enemy laid any wards. Our AD carry didn't know what last-hit even meant, much less how to do it (had 30 CS by about 15 minutes). The enemy AD carry wasn't much better. Unfortunately I had made the mistake of playing a tank support so I didn't have heals when my AD carry face-planted their turret time and time again and the match ended in my second loss of the pre-season. I've decided since then not to play ranked unless I'm duo'ing with my friend again for the best odds.

But that told me something. The people at 1300 ELO aren't "better than 1200 ELO", they aren't "pros", they aren't even good. They're the select few who got lucky enough to win their first 5 games. Maybe at 1800 ELO the story is different, but 1200 and below honestly consists of 50% of the best players in the League, all trapped by a horrible system which doesn't give a damn how skilled you are.
Sticky this response ^

Sofear

11-26-2012

whats the deal i just played my 10 games of new season. got 6 win 4 loss. mainly support/tank
and i start of @ 825 ELO ? why , wasnt 5/5 = 1200 ?

McZwick

11-27-2012

I'm disappointed that this thread has derailed into yet another QQ about ELO.

My original point was that ELO is actually great at making the game fun, and with the ELO reset I have to suffer through playing against people who are waaay better. Yes I know that that means I also have great players on my team occasionally (like a pro support Alistar who made me think I was invincible)...but the losses are more painful than the wins are great (right now).

Zlain

11-27-2012

you get screwed in placement matches you get screwed for the season, bottom line.