In the Shadows

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Protect Your ADC

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-29-2012

Chapter 1

The lush green grasslands and mountains spanned across the horizon ahead. The beaches were clean, the waters blue and pure, fishers in their boats tossed out their nets and reeled in large quantities of fish and sea life. The sun had just risen and with not a cloud in sight. In the distance a single ship appeared. The townsfolk were used to ships stopping to restock their supplies and gave no attention to the ship.

Only when the entire fleet had arrived did they feel any alarm. The ships massed in the hundreds. The townsfolk stared in awe as the Noxian soldiers poured onto their land. Terrifying dark machines were brought out from the ships with Zaunite soldiers at their controls. The townspeople were taken from their homes and rounded up in the center. Mothers and children were separated from the men.

A young woman with white hair stood with a group of other Noxian soldiers watched over the men. She held a large black sword that was as just as large as her if not more. Markings of magic infused in the sword glowed green on the blade. Any swordsman could appreciate the excellent craftsmanship but anyone with sanity would fear the blade and its wielder. “What shall we do with them,” The woman asked her commanding officer.

“Nothing yet. We haven’t been given any orders other than to secure the beachhead, which we have.” The woman stared blankly ahead with a smile on her face. “Enthusiastic?”

“Extremely. I can finally prove my worth as a soldier of Noxus.”

“Hmph.” The officer smirked. “I believe you have already proven you are worthy of being a soldier. Now you just how far it is that you will go to keep that worth.” Another soldier ran over and told the commanding officer an order given by the general. “Unfortunate indeed.” The soldier nodded and stepped back a few feet. The officer exhaled and the woman looked at him with concern. “Kill them,” He said.

“Sir?”

“You heard me-” The officer fixed a glove on his hand. “-Kill them. Now.” The woman gripped the blade of her sword and walked over to the men. The other soldiers around them approached as well and raised their weapons. The woman didn’t close her eyes as she tore her blade through the bodies of the townsmen. She had counted how many she had slain. Fifty-two. “Now the others,” The officer told her.

“Others?”

“The women and children.”

The woman stared at him in shock. “But, Sir, they are innocent! We cannot—”
“Are you disobeying orders?” The man stared at her with cold, unmoving eyes. She wanted to protest but knew better not to. You did not disobey the Noxian military. Never. After all his was an honor for the woman and the ones who she would soon lay to rest.

Author Notes
I would like to thank Deimus144 for letting me take over this story and to say goodbye to him 'cause he apparently is leaving LoL. So good luck and thanks for reading.

Deimus144

07-30-2012

No. Thank you.

I thank you for doing this fanfic. I always wanted to do it but had no courage to do it until now.
The Idea came when I saw a meme on deviant art. I was inspired and I wanted to do it but like I said, I was afraid people might dislike and I would die! Na just kidding. But you had the courage to do this. I hope you dont end this man.

Inspiration came from a deviant art picture.

Keep up the good work.

Thank you
- Deimus144

Mr Ratz

07-30-2012

****. Ballsy. Riven is a very beloved Character.
But I like it, it is true, early Riven would follow her military orders. Keep it up

Protect Your ADC

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-30-2012

Chapter 2
Riven marched with the rest of her company as they made their way through the Ionian mountains. The Noxians had struck fast within the past few days, taking over almost a third of the Ionian country with barely any resistance. So far Riven had only been in combat twice and those battles weren’t very challenging. “There,” Captain Verat said as he pointed to the town ahead. “We are to take control of that town and hold it until Major Desré arrives with reinforcements.”

“Yes, Sir.” Riven led a group of soldiers into the town as the others set up a perimeter. She ordered the civilians to leave who had begun before they had even arrived. “Be careful,” Riven told her soldiers. She entered a deserted house and checked for anything the family left behind. She found half a loaf of bread on the ground which she didn’t hesitate to eat.

“Aaaaaaaagh!” Riven spun and sliced the man charging at her in half. She stepped out of the home and saw that her men were fighting the men of this village. Riven blocked a sword and stabbed the man. Another ran at her but an arrow hit him in the neck. Riven dug her blade into a man and kicked the body off of her blade.

She blocked an arrow with the flat of her blade and looked up at the archers on the side of the mountain as they rained arrows down. “Saber!” The Noxian archer turned and fired an arrow through the chest of an Ionian. The Noxians hid behind the buildings for cover. Saber hid next to Riven and kept shooting at the Ionians. “Bread?” Riven offered a piece to Saber who took it. “How many?”

“A little less than two dozen. Why? You in a hurry to get somewhere?” Riven smiled at the joke. “They’ll be dead soon.” Saber ran from the corner and fired two arrows, one each into an Ionian. Riven exhaled and jumped onto the roof. She ran from building to building towards the Ionians. Saber rolled in the dirt and fired another shot, hitting an arrow midflight that would have hit Riven.

She lept into the air and released a shockwave ahead of her that crashed into the side of the mountain and covered it in smoke. Riven landed safely and met up with Saber. “Get the men ready to move. I’m going to warn the Captain.” Saber quickly ran off and Riven started up the mountain. She reached the top and saw that their company was engaged in combat with the Ionians.

They were outnumbered 2:1. Riven charged down and began to slice away at the Ionians. Blood splattered on the green grass as corpses littered the fields. Riven felt no remorse for her enemies. This was what she had been looking forward to for a very long time. To fight her enemies for the glory of Noxus.

Her massive blade tore through the bodies as if they mere made of air. The Ionians began to focus her and charged in numbers. Riven calmed her breathing and released a burst of energy around her, knocking back or killing anyone caught in the blast. She dashed at a man in front of her and rune shields appeared around her blocking any incoming attack. She cut through the soldiers around her but there were still more Ionians than Noxians.

An arrow flew past her and hit an Ionian. Saber shot from a distance as the rest of the Noxians poured into the battle. That should help, Riven thought, But will it be enough? She continued to slash through the enemy but like she had thought it wasn’t enough. The Noxians were being slaughtered and slain. “Where’s the Captain,” Riven asked Saber as they fended off the Ionians.

“Dead.” Saber shot an arrow through a soldier’s neck and stabbed with another arrow. “We need to get everyone together! Call them over.”

“Form up!” Riven called, “Form up!” Slowly the Noxians gathered and formed a circle with their swords and shields pointing outward. Saber shot over their shoulders into the Ionians who were trying but could not break them. “Major Desré should be here soon,” Riven said, “Hold until he does!” She stabbed her blade into an Ionian and pulled her blade back in.

“Having a little trouble?” Riven shuttered from the voice and lost her focus for a second. She turned to face a man in a blue cloak with a blade attached to his left arm. On his belt and the ones running across his chests were knives and blades all varying in shapes and sizes. “Maybe I can help.”

“What are you doing here, Talon?” Saber aimed an arrow at him but Riven held a hand up so he didn’t fire.

“My duty. What about you?”

“The same.”

Talon chuckled and locked eyes with her. “No, you are failing. I should just leave you to die right here… but as I am in such a caring mood I may just lend you a hand.” Talon disappeared and Riven heard the cries of men being torn apart. She saw Talon appear in the Ionian masses and a ring of blades shoot from his body, shredding anyone caught by them. The blades retracted into Talon who threw three in front of him, killing at least a dozen soldiers, then pull them back in.

He blocked a sword with a knife in his right hand then stabbed the wielder with the blade on his left arm. Riven felt a hand placed on her shoulder and was shaken back to reality. The Noxians charged forward and clashed with the Ionians with a renewed sense of courage and confidence. Riven swung her blade chopping two men in half then released another shockwave in front of her. She dashed forward; cutting anything in her path, then jumped into the air and slammed her sword on the ground creating a shock that knocked anyone near her off their feet.

A blade thrown by Talon passed barely an inch from her face and stopped in an Ionian’s chest. The two fought back-to-back defeating anyone who tried to come close. Riven couldn’t help but smile. Maybe it was because she enjoyed the killing, because she was fighting for her city-state with pride and honor, or perhaps because she was fighting with Talon, someone who she revered as a gifted warrior and master assassin.

The Ionians realized they could not win and began to surrender. Once the battle had ended the Noxians cheered in victory. Riven smiled and sat down on the ground. “Thanks for the help,” She said to Talon who was staring off at the horizon in the opposite direction. “I’m pretty sure I’d be dead without you.”

“No kidding… I couldn’t let you die. Not here anyways.”

“And why is that?” No answer. She looked over her shoulder but Talon was gone. She smiled and shook her head. Same old Talon. Saber walked over and offered her a drink from a canteen. He nodded in the direction that Major Desré and his men were coming from.

“They finally made it,” He said.

“Yeah.” Riven and Saber went to go meet the major.

“Very good work,” He told them, “Taking down five hundred Ionian soldiers all by yourselves, huh?”

“Well,” Saber began, “There was—” Riven elbowed him in the side and he didn’t say anymore.

“Yes, Sir,” Riven continued, “We did manage to take them down. Although it did come at a price. Our captain is dead, Sir. So we will need a replacement commanding officer.”

The major read over a report. “I see. May I ask what is wrong with the current commanding officer?”

“He is dead, Sir.”

“Yes, but she seems to be quite fine.” Riven and Saber stared at the major in surprise. “Congratulations, Captain.” The two saluted the major as he began to walk off. "Oh, one more thing. Your first order as a commanding will be to eliminate the prisoners that we have taken hostage. No need to keep them around any longer."

“Aw how cute.” Katarina approached Talon from behind and stood next to him. “Is that your girlfriend?” Talon didn’t answer. “I guess even my father’s shadow has a light-side, don’t you think?” Talon didn’t respond and began to walk off. “Come now, Talon. May I ask what it is that she means to you?”

“No.”

“Okay, then I order you to tell me what it is that she means to you.”

Talon didn’t stop walking. “We are both in the Crimson Elites. I had trained with her before and watched her rise through the ranks as what was called ‘the perfect Noxian’. She was given special training, privileges, anything to make her stronger. She told me that she didn't mind any of it because in the end it would make her a better soldier." Katarina saw Talon grimace. "She is no soldier. She's a puppet. I heard the generals and officers say that she would be the greatest of all military assets. Her strength and will make her invaluable to them. I just wonder for how long.”

“Power is law after all.” Katarina spun one of her daggers and pointed it at Talon. “She will die one day, Talon, we all do. It’s an undeniable truth, there’s nothing we can do to stop it. Nor how or when we die. No one can stop death, not even its own shadow.” Katarina walked on ahead as Talon watched down in the distance as Riven began to execute the prisoners herself.

Protect Your ADC

07-30-2012

Quote:
No. Thank you.

I thank you for doing this fanfic. I always wanted to do it but had no courage to do it until now.
The Idea came when I saw a meme on deviant art. I was inspired and I wanted to do it but like I said, I was afraid people might dislike and I would die! Na just kidding. But you had the courage to do this. I hope you dont end this man.

Inspiration came from a deviant art picture.

Keep up the good work.

Thank you
- Deimus144
No, thank you and the support. Wasn't really sure how to start this one off but I guess this will do. I see some flaws I made (especially when I re-read over Riven's lore) and you can see that in the seond chapter but don't worry I got it covered and in the end it all adds together. Once again thank you and you will have to send me the link to that pic.
DeltaAltair

Quote:
****. Ballsy. Riven is a very beloved Character.
But I like it, it is true, early Riven would follow her military orders. Keep it up
Yeah I kinda messed up actually. I didn't read Riven's lore correctly so I didn't make her all "I'm gonna rip your face off with no remorse" which is actually what I kind of want. So now I will have to change some things but in the end it adds together. And thank you for the support.
DeltaAltair

If anybody sees anything they don't like or suggestions or w/e don't be afraid to comment 'cause I am open to suggestions and it also keeps this story bumped up.

Deimus144

07-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaAltair View Post
No, thank you and the support. Wasn't really sure how to start this one off but I guess this will do. I see some flaws I made (especially when I re-read over Riven's lore) and you can see that in the seond chapter but don't worry I got it covered and in the end it all adds together. Once again thank you and you will have to send me the link to that pic.
Oh, Ok.

Its in the sixth panel.

Link: http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&se...+meme#/d4trgk5

I know, it aint much......

Deimus144

07-30-2012

Also, these chapters go a teene wennie bit different than what I wanted it to be.

The original Idea was to have Talon ordered to Assassinate Riven, but it gets harder and harder by every time he takes a chance.

Bladed Dagger

08-07-2012

Very good dude. Keep it up please.

Protect Your ADC

10-30-2013

Chapter 3

"Let's go!" Riven rushed forward into up the steep mountain side. The Ionian lands were all like this. Lush green mountains and hills that made it hard for the vast Noxian armies to traverse. Hard. Not impossible. "Keep it moving!" Saber called out orders as arrows and rocks battered against the Noxian shields. The enemy was above them higher up the mountain. The booming sounds of a boulder crashing down the mountainside echoed as it hit the line of Noxian soldiers. "We'll never make it up there."

"I know." Riven whistled. Three other soldiers approached at once. "Kalys, the company's under your command. Keep the men heading up. The four of us will take a different route to buy you all time. Understand?" Kalys acknowledged the order. Riven lead Saber, Joran, and Litro a bit back down the path. "Do it, Sabe." He lifted his bow and fired four arrows connected to ropes in quick succession. The four began to climb. At first they were not noticed. That changed momentarily.

Riven swung her rope to the side as a rock fell past her. Joran launched a ball of magic at the enemy above. Rocks fell down from the explosion it created. "Keep your aim!" Litro yelled at the mage, "Don't make it any harder for our boys!" Riven was now ahead of the three others by a good twenty feet. She heard from below her Saber cry out "Screw this!" After a few minutes he was running past her, dodging arrows, and rocks with ease and grace.

He reached a point near the top and dug an arrow into the mountain wall. No, not an arrow, a metal bolt. Saber threw a rope round it and threw down an end with another bolt attached to Riven. She knew what he planned. Saber fell fast below her and launched her up. Upon reaching the bolt embedded into the wall she kicked off of it and flew onto the flat land. The enormous sword she carried was lifted and swept through the enemy before her. Riven dug the bolt in her hand into the ground.

As she fought off the enemy her team reached her. "Saber's fine." Joran launched a blue ball into an archer then brought up a barrier around them. There was no real objective other than them to buy time for the rest of their company. The Ionians were intimidated by the size of Riven's sword 'causing them to hesitate with every attempt at attacking. As soon as Saber got to the top there was no more attempting.

Ionian archers attempted to bring their foes down but the mystical barrier was too powerful. Objects deflected off it harmlessly. "Can we move forward," Litro asked, "I'm sick of this stalling." Riven nodded. The barrier lowered and Litro took off, sword and shield in hand.

Riven moved through the village, cutting down anyone she met. A fury of arrows shot past her into five men running towards her. Riven turned a corner and slammed her shoulder into a man in armor. He collapsed on the ground and coughed up blood as the sword jammed into his gut. Keep moving. An explosion shook the ground and a cloud of smoke and fire emerged above the rooftops. Saber met up with Riven sometime later. By now the first of the company was arriving and was clashing with the Ionian resistance.

It was too much for the resistance to handle. Not only did they have to deal with the massive force coming from up the path but with the four wrecking havoc behind. Riven pushed a soldier against a building wall then split his body in two with her blade. Saber shot two as they attempted to flee. As the company pushed inward Riven was given a chance to rest. She did not let it last long however. There was still more to do. Up ahead should have been Commander Veraci's battalion. As the Noxians continued onward they indeed found the other battalion. They also found a larger enemy force than what they had dealt with. These were not village men who took up stones and pitchforks. Actual armed soldiers stood as an obstacle. Unfortunately for them Riven's company had the high ground.

"Archers!" The company set up to fire their bows. "Fire!" What looked like a dark wave washed across the Ionian lines. Saber was firing faster and on his own while the rest regulated their attack. Wave after wave of arrows bore down on the enemy unable to contest the archers who held complete advantage over them. "Hold fire! Swap weapons!" The Noxians changed to sword and shield. "March!" In uniform lines they marched forward. The Ionians, disorganized and weak, rallied against the new enemy. Riven raised her sword in hand.

The Ionians did not move. They stood waiting for their enemy to collide with their pikes and spears. The Noxian company was changing its shape. Instead of a flat front it turned to a spear head formation. Riven leading them. Steadily the Noxians advanced. Once within twenty meters Riven jumped and swung her blade in front of her. A green shockwave launched forward into the Ionian lines. The first to be hit were obliterated into pieces of their former whole selves. Anyone caught behind stumbled and collapsed to the ground. At the sight and sign of this the Noxian company charged forward. The spearhead pierced the disoriented and staggering Ionians. At the same time Commander Veraci was making his shove.

As Riven walked through the corpses of Noxian and Ionian soldiers she ate what was left of her rations. "Death count?"

"One-hundred four," Kalys reported, "Over five hundred Ionians were killed."

"What about our count?"

"Less than fifty. Commander Veraci took the brunt of the attack."

"Obviously. Get replacements when we can. Send a hawk saying we took K'ori Village and we will hold it until new orders arrive."

"Yes, Ma'am." Kalys went off.

Saber watched her as he tossed Riven an apple. He pulled a metal bolt from a pack and spun it in his hands. "What do you think?"

"I think that was reckless."

"But efficient."

"How bad?"

"My back hurts but it'll be fine. Should be a few days before we get our orders so I can rest up 'til then." Saber looked out over the distance. Riven followed his gaze to the sunset. This land really was admirable in its beauty. The sun set between two mountains with a river flowing into it. "Once upon a time I was sweet with a girl from here."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Her father was a fisherman. Didn't like me too much. Was worried I would take his 'little flower' away. It wouldn't have happened. I wasn't looking for anything serious at the time." Saber laid down on a patch of clean grass beside Riven. He closed his eyes and hummed a tune. "I wonder what will happen when we claim this land. Another war? Demacia won't take this lying down. Frejlord could be next but honestly I think Swain could do it on his own. Doesn't really need us. What do you think?"

"Of what? Swain? I think you're right; he could take the area on his own. With his intelligence and strategic skills it would be a little less than a year."

"Is that all you see yourself doing, Riv? Fighting? Nothing after?"

"I don't know what I would do. I enjoy this too much and it's the best way to serve my city-state. Plus the civilian world isn't all too pleasing. Can't see a girl with full armor and a sword as big as her opening a bakery, right? I'll just stick to what I'm best at." Riven did not want to say it but Saber was right. What would she do after this? There would come a time when she was not fit to fight. Would she lead from behind? Call orders like Swain? That was wrong, Swain still fought. That crazy bird thing he did. Thinking about it kind of depressed Riven. She stopped thinking about it and followed Saber into a well deserved slumber.

Protect Your ADC

11-01-2013

Chapter 4

"Get'em movin', boys! We ain't got all day!"

Riven sat on her rock overlooking the team of Zaunite engineers and their war machines. Saber found the machines interesting. Their power and ability to create fear was intriguing. One of the machines roared to life with a green, smoky aura around it. Techmaturgy. The combination of magic and technology was something to be feared. Especially when made by Zaun. You could guarantee that anything made by them was made to destroy. The machine they saw had four wheels with a magic infused cannon attached. The engineers test fired the thing. An incredibly strong and fast magical round was released and exploded once it hit the ground.

After getting the four others working the Zauns signaled they were ready to finish testing each individually. Green circular rounds launched forth into a hillside. After exploding a poisonous green ooze was left at the point of impact. "I hear Singed created these things," Saber commented. Riven ignored him and whistled for Kylas to hear. Kylas got the troops up and ready to move.

"Our orders," Riven said to the team leaders, "Are to defend the twon up ahead. It'll take us three days to get there. Move fast so we'll have time to set up defenses."

One of the team leaders asked, "Defend, Ma'am? Why are we defending a village?"

"The village is already under Noxian control but the main reason is the Ionians have gathered a force two-thousand strong. They want us to not reach the capital. This village has routes leading all over the province. Controlling it can help reinforcements get around." The soldiers seemed a bit worried about their odds. They were only three hundred, not including those at the village already. The idea was that the Zaunite war machines would make the playing field equal but that was all theoretical. Honestly Riven did not believe it would.

Riven had Saber gather five teams of archers to perform guerrilla strikes against the enemy army as they made their way to the village. Kylas' concern was that without their best archers an ambush would be harder to fend off. To sate her worried Riven had extra scouts throughout the area. Dark clouds were gathering ahead. The rain fell hard for two days. There was no foliage to protect the company and the grasslands became muddy and swamp like. "Will we rest," Kylas asked.

"No, if we keep going we'll get there ahead of schedule." The men trudged forward through the swamp. They were exhausted but did as told without thinking twice. Riven let them rest for ten minutes after another mile. She wasn't that mean. The rain wasn't going to let up. Dark clouds could be seen far off in the distance.

Another day passed and the company finally reached the town. Noxian and Zaunite soldiers had built a large wall from the trees in the surrounding area. A trench was being dug around the wall and spikes from wood were fashined to be placed in it. "Who is their commanding officer," Riven asked Kalys.

"Captain Tarten Vas, Ma'am."

"Tell the men to get rested. They have a few hours to kill." Riven searched for Vas throug hthe town. He was in a home remade to be their command post. "Captain Vas? I am Major Riven."

"An honor to meet you, Ma'am." Vas was a young officer, Riven guessed early thirties. He had brown hair that went past his eye brows with the same color eyes. Compared to others that Riven had seen he was not as imposing. His body was not tall nor short. Not incredibly muscular but not deprived. He was just average. When Riven had walked in she noticed Vas and a few others were going over defense parameters. "Please join us. The west needs to be completed with its trench and spikes. All others are done. Have the scouts returned?"

"Not yet," One of the men answered.

Vas turned to Riven, "Major, your scouts arrived two days ago. They took about eight our to rest before taking off. They have not reported back since then."

"Glad to know they passed through," Riven said as she looked over the area map placed on the table before them. "How far out are the Ionians?"

"Last report was fifty kilometers but we have to consider the winding valleys, mountains, and trails. Your scouts said they would keep raiding the enemy until they arrived at or doorsteps."

Footsteps made Riven look over her shoulder. Kalys entered with a bow. "Two of the advanced team have returned, Ma'am. It seems the Ionians met up with a group of one-hundred soldiers."

"And?" These soldiers had to be different. Riven could distinguish a hint of distress in Kalys' voice.

"They have armor and weapons closely resembling Demacian. The Ionians are also thirty kilometers from us. There seem to be more groups of the soldiers they are meeting along the way. Their numbers are growing, Ma'am."

Riven looked at the captain, "Send a hawk at once." Back to Kalys. "Tell the men to assist in preparing the wall, have the scouts and team leaders report to me. Captain, do you have any Zaunite tech?"

"Twelve cannons, five mortars, fifteen marksmen."

Riven looked down at the map. "Here's what we are going to do."