Bertboxer's Study of Perception

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RIP Bankplank

11-28-2012

any suggestion for next week?

Absolute 42

11-28-2012

What about a post where you talk about the impact of pro players or tournaments on regular League matches?

I know you sort of touched on it here, but it could deserve its own post.

RIP Bankplank

11-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute 42 View Post
What about a post where you talk about the impact of pro players or tournaments on regular League matches?

I know you sort of touched on it here, but it could deserve its own post.
i was thinking more along the lines of a particular champion you guys want examined

Stitcher

11-29-2012

I would love to see a piece on Kassadin, actually. I feel as though people only focus on the scary parts of his kit -- Q and R -- and neglect to realize a playstyle that uses his W, E, and passive efficiently as well. Maybe an essay from a certain knowledgeable analyst might change that.

Autocthon

11-29-2012

At 85% banrate it's impossible to actually guage how powerful a champ is based on their wins in non-banned circumstances.

Though the primary reason shen is banned has nothing to do with being "OP" and everything to do with his gamebreaker ult. Same for Malphite (though he does 100% shut down the enemy AD carry if he plays correctly). Blitz is banned for the grabs. Those grabs.

CerealBoxOfDoom

11-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertboxer View Post
i was thinking more along the lines of a particular champion you guys want examined
The answer is always ahri

start planning the part 2 as well

RIP Bankplank

11-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealBoxOfDoom View Post
The answer is always ahri

start planning the part 2 as well
what about ahri do you want examined?

CerealBoxOfDoom

11-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertboxer View Post
what about ahri do you want examined?
well do you prefer the feet or the face. Dunno about you but I start from the ankles and slowly work my way up. xD

There's also that whole mobility meta thing seeing as flash is about to get nerfed.

Beaumains

12-08-2012

I for one will often ban Shen, Malph, Blitz, Morg, Mumu, and even Darius, but not because I am unwilling to "deal with" them, but rather because out of the other four people, odds are one of them doesn't want to dealt with them even if they know how (or maybe each has their personal - "I hate <them>" champ. I'll almost always ask for preferred bans, in case someone has someone else they don't want to see (e.g. Kass, LB, Tryn, Ahri, Ori, Syndra, Xerath, w/e).

I've learned that you can dodge grabs & taunts & tosses (though tosses are rather difficult to juke). I've learned not to let Malph engage except into an unfavorable situation (e.g. you're gonna ult? Thanks: wall!). I've learned that Morgana's shield doesn't block damage (like it used to) and so she can be focused down before she stuns everybody. I've learned that Shen can be anti-Shen'd if you can deal ~400 damage to the carry in < 3 seconds. Darius is extremely susceptible to kiting.

I think a lot of people have learned these things, but they'd rather not have to do that if they can just as easily clear their head and not worry about it. The less you have to worry about a certain (popular) champion, the more you can focus on doing your own thing, and it gives you more room for teamwork. Ultimately I think this is the root of what it comes down to: which champion is the most annoying? Which champion(s) force the most complex counterplay throughout the game (and are unique)? Ban them, then whoever you do have to deal with will be less of a headache. In short, whatever counterplays people find the most difficult or inconvenient (e.g. Ori, Malph, Mumu have relatively complex counterplay as far as a lot of people are concerned) are the ones that people are most likely to ban, generally.

I'd still like to see some articles about what you think Riot is doing particularly well; I haven't really seen that yet and I'm afraid that that absence may (in fact may already) alter readers' perceptions of your work. For another interesting topic, you might consider how roles themselves have changed and shifted, and how champions have migrated with these fluctuating definitions. For example, Corki, Ezreal, and Twisted Fate.

EDIT: There's also a highly strategic element to some of these bans. Mumu, for example, is specifically countered by "not grouping together" which leaves everyone relatively isolated and easy pickings for an assassin/carry combo; banning champs that force the team apart allow you to automatically reduce the effectiveness of an entire class of champion: namely the assassin. I think what we really need to see, is the release of 1) more champions that do similar things as common bans in different ways; if there's 10 champions that force the enemy apart, you can't ban/steal them all. If there are several champions who can protect a priority target from Bad Stuff, you're probably going to have to let one slip through. Doing this forces people to deal with these issues, and forces people to get creative about strategies and counter-strategies, beyond just picks and bans. We're already seeing some of this with the development of comp styles in S2 (e.g. poke and "protect-the-kog").

RIP Bankplank

12-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaumains View Post

I'd still like to see some articles about what you think Riot is doing particularly well; I haven't really seen that yet and I'm afraid that that absence may (in fact may already) alter readers' perceptions of your work. For another interesting topic, you might consider how roles themselves have changed and shifted, and how champions have migrated with these fluctuating definitions. For example, Corki, Ezreal, and Twisted Fate.

i definitely plan on writing some positive stuff concerning riot and i feel that i already have a bit. My very first essay on making a character's playstyle fit their personality was full of compliments. i understand where you're coming from though and i will take it into account for my next writing. i'm sorry about the absence as i'm leaving china to come back home to the states and it's been a bit busy finishing everything here. rest assured that my regular writing schedule will continue upon my return!