Teemo - surviving early game

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vonriel

11-27-2012

You've been given a lot of advice in this thread, but I just want to reiterate a point that people aren't stressing enough: Teemo shouldn't be in bot lane in most situations.

As you get better with him, you may find you can do well in bot, but for the most part, you should stay top. He's a FANTASTIC counter-pick to many top-lane champions, including some of the highly favored ones. However, beware! You will die to any assassin, as well as some of the burstier tanky-dps. A good Garen will absolutely wreck you, and a bad Pantheon can crush you harder than Malphite can neuter an AD carry.

vortical42

11-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonriel View Post
You've been given a lot of advice in this thread, but I just want to reiterate a point that people aren't stressing enough: Teemo shouldn't be in bot lane in most situations.

As you get better with him, you may find you can do well in bot, but for the most part, you should stay top. He's a FANTASTIC counter-pick to many top-lane champions, including some of the highly favored ones. However, beware! You will die to any assassin, as well as some of the burstier tanky-dps. A good Garen will absolutely wreck you, and a bad Pantheon can crush you harder than Malphite can neuter an AD carry.
Not quite sure what makes you think Garen is such a good choice vs Teemo. The last time I checked, you shut down Garen by constant harass so that he can't take advantage of his health regen. Toxic Shot gives Teemo some of the best DOT harras in the game. Mabey I just haven't run into an really good Garen players, but I can't recall ever loosing top lane with Teemo vs Garen.

Redshirt Tim

12-02-2012

First of all, thanks for all the advice. I'm doing much much better on Teemo. I still haven't started playing draft games, but blind pick is going pretty well even without getting to react to opponent champion picks.

Part of my problem was behavioral; not properly planning for ganks. Now I pretty much focus on survival until team fights, peppering my lane with escape route mushrooms. I've also gotten better at harass -- I watch for my opponent's last hit opportunities, and proactively harass -- and saving blind for when I'm actually attacked. I also now choose my first ability based on my opponent, which has also helped. If I know I'm up against an ADC, I'll put my points into blind (after toxic shot). After a bit of harass, a lot of players will stand and trade, and I usually get a free kill out of this.

I do still buy Frozen Mallet early in my build -- usually after Malady, or after Nashor's if I can help it. I gauge it based on the damage I'm taking (it's nice that I have 2 choices of how to build it, both with HP), and the priority is that it's ready in time for team fights, as that slow is so amazing in its utility.

Despite what one poster said, I've had some pretty good luck juking Darius' pull, but he's still definitely one of the more intense tops to go against if played aggressively.

While I can still improve, my k:d ratio has gotten a lot better early game, and during game losses, it's usually now due to lack of teamwork in pickup groups late game, rather than anything directly related to my play. Thanks again for the advice.