Dota 2 or LoL?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ChoppazAndDakka

11-28-2012

Having to unlock heroes is why LoL is stagnating so much. Champions can't have powerful, game changing skills because not everyone will have access to them or their counter picks. That's why most champions get generic damage/aoe disable ults. Because you can't do something unique that changes the dynamic of the game by being in the match since not everyone will have that. In Dota, since heroes are all free, they can add what they want since everyone has access to the hero and it's counters. Since everyone can play anyone they want, it's okay to add very powerful skills since for hero selection everyone is on the same level.

Gazzi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-28-2012

I have experience with LoL up to the middle of Season 1 [I think the last hero released that I was there for was Orianna?] and experience with DotA 2 for about a month, so this is a somewhat first experience perspective.

League of Legends
Pros
- initial limitations of available champions per week prevents new players from being overwhelmed with the increasing number of available champions.
- in-game shop is easy to navigate if you are not familiar with what items have what stats/abilities.
Cons
- formulaic team compositions prevents certain champion combinations for working "well" [subjective] in most games.
- many champion skills overlap and remove a sense of uniqueness from the champions [e.g., Morgana and Lux]
- while limiting champion selection initially is beneficial to new players, it can hinder "middle-ground" players from branching out to other characters for lack of IP/RP.
- strict function roles between characters does not allow for fluidity of team build.
- [this is more of a personal qualm with aesthetics, but I'm listing it anyway] gender roles as portrayed through characters. a significant number of supports are female while a significant number of tanks are male.
- League of Titties phenomenon: supposedly if you make a character's cup-size any smaller than the game's "standard" [see: all in-game breasts], they look less feminine. this is addressed in my description of DotA.

DotA 2
Pros
- minion denying adds another element of strategy to the game.
- slower introduction of new characters encourages players to develop new metagame strategies with the options they are already provided [see: Starcraft].
- significant gender diversity across class roles [e.g., Support: Dazzle, Lich, Lion; all male support characters]. [note; not the case for Strength heroes.]
- significant decrease in breast size across many characters [e.g., Windrunner, Phantom Assassin].
- couriers provide a more "in-lane" laning phase.
- removal of automatic home teleport [b] requires players to better manage their resources to maximize time away from base.
- in-game lore affects hero behavior and dialogue.
Cons
- shop is somewhat difficult to navigate for a new player as there are no stat breakdowns.
- late-game recovery is more difficult than in LoL.
- company encouragement to purchase items by providing chests only accessible through buying a key [~$2.50].
- lack of multiple servers can lead to language barriers between players on the same team.

this is all my personal opinion of the two games. I prefer DotA to LoL, but at this point I'm not sure if it's because it provides something actually new and innovative or because of its novelty of being something I haven't played before.

ChoppazAndDakka

11-28-2012

I agree with most points, except the late game recovery. Granted, if you are REALLY far behind then yeah it can feel near impossible, but turnarounds are much easier than LoL thanks to the gold loss and long death timers later on. All it takes is one team fight to turn around and gain momentum, since the enemy will lose a lot of gold and be dead for long amounts of time. This allows the team who was formerly behind to easily take towers and, in a reasonable game, potentially a rax. Sure, they can buy back if they have the money, but that makes the gold gap even bigger, and they won't have it if they need it later. There are also high gold bounties on heroes on sprees, comparatively more than I remember in LoL.

While in LoL a bad teamfight can turn it around as well thanks to lack of buyback, too many mechanics stand in the way. While the losing team gets gold, there is no real gold swing as the enemy doesn't LOSE any. With no gold loss, a team that gets the lead early never loses that edge as long as they can not screw up. You can't gank the carry and make them far behind if they get a kill or two since they keep that kill gold. Also, say a teamfight goes down and the losing team wins the fight but two of their guys die. Unless they have a minion wave at the enemy tower they can't really push hard, since LoL towers hit like a truck. By the time they maybe make their way to a tower, the enemy respawned. And even if they take an inhibitor, it's not the complete gamechanger taking a rax is since they respawn. Unless a HUGE push can be mounted while the enemy is dead, the winning team losing a fight is not going to end the game for them, as long as they did some damage back and don't do it again.

As a side note, I agree with you on LoL females and have discussed that very point with friends. With a few exceptions, every human female in LoL has a huge bust that the character art intentionally shows off. They wear revealing outfits and some like Miss Fortune and Caitlyn have direct sexual references in their dialogue (pretty much every line of MF and Caitlyn's fuzzy cuffs thing). In Dota 2 the only hero who has a bust shown off at all in her model or character portrait is Lina, and even then not to the absurd degree of LoL. The rest all have normal looking bust sizes and even if there is slight cleavage, like on Windrunner, it's not accented in any way and she is not sexualized. Riot plays up the *** angle to appeal to a younger audience who enjoys lolitas while Valve keeps it mature.

Chiefwiggums

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzi View Post
I have experience with LoL up to the middle of Season 1 [I think the last hero released that I was there for was Orianna?] and experience with DotA 2 for about a month, so this is a somewhat first experience perspective.

League of Legends
Pros
- initial limitations of available champions per week prevents new players from being overwhelmed with the increasing number of available champions.
- in-game shop is easy to navigate if you are not familiar with what items have what stats/abilities.
Cons
- formulaic team compositions prevents certain champion combinations for working "well" [subjective] in most games.
- many champion skills overlap and remove a sense of uniqueness from the champions [e.g., Morgana and Lux]
- while limiting champion selection initially is beneficial to new players, it can hinder "middle-ground" players from branching out to other characters for lack of IP/RP.
- strict function roles between characters does not allow for fluidity of team build.
- [this is more of a personal qualm with aesthetics, but I'm listing it anyway] gender roles as portrayed through characters. a significant number of supports are female while a significant number of tanks are male.
- League of Titties phenomenon: supposedly if you make a character's cup-size any smaller than the game's "standard" [see: all in-game breasts], they look less feminine. this is addressed in my description of DotA.

DotA 2
Pros
- slower introduction of new characters encourages players to develop new metagame strategies with the options they are already provided [see: Starcraft].
- significant gender diversity across class roles [e.g., Support: Dazzle, Lich, Lion; all male support characters]. [note; not the case for Strength heroes.]
- significant decrease in breast size across many characters [e.g., Windrunner, Phantom Assassin].
- removal of automatic home teleport [b] requires players to better manage their resources to maximize time away from base.
Cons
- shop is somewhat difficult to navigate for a new player as there are no stat breakdowns.
- company encouragement to purchase items by providing chests only accessible through buying a key [~$2.50].
- lack of multiple servers can lead to language barriers between players on the same team.

this is all my personal opinion of the two games. I prefer DotA to LoL, but at this point I'm not sure if it's because it provides something actually new and innovative or because of its novelty of being something I haven't played before.

The chest thing isn't really a con though, cause you can get most items as a drop, the only difference with a chest is the items are strange.

DeathByWaffle

11-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aircross View Post
Any balance changes by IceFrog in DotA are implemented into Dota 2.

One game's hero balance is the other's.
... Then in that case what was the point of your original post? I claimed to have played a lot of dota 1. You tell me that one line in my paragraph shows that I don't play much dota 2. If both dotas have pretty much the same balance, what are you trying to call me out on?

Clerigon

11-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzi View Post

League of Legends
Pros
Cons

DotA 2
Pros
Cons

You forgot the most important thing: mod supports in dota 2.

Casus125

11-29-2012

Dota 2. Better game.

Kojiro

11-29-2012

When i first played LoL, i thought hey this is was pretty simple game and its fun bla bla bla reach to level 10. until I saw flash. So I played against people who has flash and I didn't. which made me rage so hard.especially When dumb asses flash over walls, then goes Huehuhhur I juked you hunuahuarueu i'm gay. That facts that bruiser and casters dominate in the low levels is unacceptable. have free heals like alistar and soraka is unacceptable. Alistar tanking towers free is unacceptable. Tanks being like being a tank! and do damage (like malphite, shen and nunu) is unacceptable. The fact that people always have the mana and engery to do **** in every team fight was dumb because you don't have to manage your mana like dota. last hitting is a piece of cake I can pretty much do it with any champs even soraka where like when i use crystal maiden in dota she auto attack is super **** and low.(as you have like + 5-15 ad with rune pages) or if you ap champ you can go HUeuhhuh Spellz morde #1. I don't Hate LoL, I think its fun, not saying it takes no skills. Dota and LoL just has different game plays. Am i Wrong ?

Lance Eliot

11-29-2012

I would say that League of Legends is more reasonable, more fun to play on a casual level, and benefits from a better frequency of patches.

DotA2, on the other hand, typically has more interesting character designs, more meta variety, and, of course, free heroes.

raidragon

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojiro View Post
When i first played LoL, i thought hey this is was pretty simple game and its fun bla bla bla reach to level 10. until I saw flash. So I played against people who has flash and I didn't. which made me rage so hard.especially When dumb asses flash over walls, then goes Huehuhhur I juked you hunuahuarueu i'm gay. That facts that bruiser and casters dominate in the low levels is unacceptable. have free heals like alistar and soraka is unacceptable. Alistar tanking towers free is unacceptable. Tanks being like being a tank! and do damage (like malphite, shen and nunu) is unacceptable. The fact that people always have the mana and engery to do **** in every team fight was dumb because you don't have to manage your mana like dota. last hitting is a piece of cake I can pretty much do it with any champs even soraka where like when i use crystal maiden in dota she auto attack is super **** and low.(as you have like + 5-15 ad with rune pages) or if you ap champ you can go HUeuhhuh Spellz morde #1. I don't Hate LoL, I think its fun, not saying it takes no skills. Dota and LoL just has different game plays. Am i Wrong ?
Your brain is unacceptable