Targeting enemy players***pro help needed

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

triceratopsteve

11-25-2012

Hey,

I'm having a hard time targeting people when there all bunched up together, and also figuring out which champions are the "real" ones when they have clone abilities.

Kinda new to the PVP scene but I've noticed higher ranked players having little to no trouble.. I wanted to make sure its because of practice and not due to an option, addon, or something else I may be overlooking.

tips appreciated

Thanks

Best Furry NA

11-25-2012

If you see people already attacking someone, assess (VERY QUICKLY) if, even if it's the wrong target, whether or not your help on that one target synergetically would be better than focusing the right target by yourself. If you can and think it'd help, ping the right target. Establish a kill order.

Usually it's:

Target the AP Carry/AD Carry, depending on which is more fed/ which is more of a threat. If they send a Gragas mid and a Vayne bot, even if the Gragas is a bit more fed, I'd focus the Vayne. If they send Miss Fortune bot (not many can play her right, but she is really good), and she's a bit more fed than the Cassiopeia mid... Focus the Cassiopeia (she hurts really badly).

Target the Bruiser/top, or Jungler. Depends-- tanky or assassin jungler? Maokai jungle should be focused near last, if not last, but someone like Diana or Yi or Nocturne (even if he builds tanky) should be prioritized. Darius as a bruiser (don't mention Darius jungle) may seem worthwhile to target first due to his ulti, but you'll regret it.

The support when you can. If it's a tanky support like Malphite, don't bother. Otherwise, just target when available. They're squishy usually (Sona, Soraka), but they are also usually not going to be easily accessible either. They'll likely be way back, where they can't hurt you, but can aid their team. If they do stupidly get in range, make them pay. Assuming there isn't a high-priority target already near you.

This is a rough guide and depends on who's being fed, of course. Looking at death recaps often can help you assess.

Communicate with your team; ask who to target first (it's ok!), or establish a kill order yourself.

Edit: Clones like Shaco can be tricky. If one is running around, and the other delays by a fraction of a second, usually target the first. If you can click on it and target it'll say "This Unit is Being Controlled" or something like that, but you really don't have time to verify. A good Shaco will make it impossible for you to tell which is which, but usually, just take an educated guess. It comes with practice.

adc

11-25-2012

It's just practice. I don't know where your skill level stands, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're probably at the lower end of the spectrum, since it seems like you got to level 30 on mostly bot games. You need to play a lot more PVP.

That said, I'll give you a fairly handy check list to go through. I'm going to assume you're playing a tank in this situation, rather than some sort of carry.

First, your carry must survive. He is, in 99% of situations, more important than that support hero. If you have to choose between a support and your AD carry, pick your AD carry. Support doesn't win you fights late game - your carry does. If you see an opportunity where your carry is safe and you can disrupt the enemy carry - do so. You can sometimes leave a carry on their own with their support if you have, say, Ezreal carry with Leona or Taric support - but always be ready to back his ass up. He lives, you win.

Second, disrupt the enemy carry as much as possible. The more attacks your carry gets off, the better. Similarly, the more your opponent's carry gets off, the worse. Keep him locked down and off important targets as much as you can - but don't overextend! Always make sure you can back off if you need to.

In terms of who to attack, go for people in this order:

Enemy heroes jumping on your AD carry/other teammates.
Enemy AD carry.
Enemy AP carry.
Enemy top laner/jungler.
Enemy support.

Also, to tell people apart:

The "real" one, for example shaco, will have buffs and can use items. Other times it's just luck.

triceratopsteve

11-25-2012

I appreciate all the replies, but I'm not interested in kill orders or importance of roles. What I meant was:

I am having trouble targeting enemy champions when they all bunch up. I wanted to make sure there was no addons, like in an MMO, or options which would make it easier to select enemy's you want to target.

After some additional research I don't think there is.

Thanks again for all the responses

adc

11-25-2012

Oh, no. It's just practice.

deirin

11-25-2012

usually right target is squeeshyyyyyy....so yea...aoe and bam no moar squeeshy...:c