Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Tank Champion, who to choose?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zephr0us

10-13-2010

what is this "off tank" speak of?

Leib Olmai

10-13-2010

Go with shen.

AnjouShin

10-14-2010

i'd prefer shen over garen because shen really is a tank and garen has no crowd control (slows stuns tauns). shen has a global support ultimate and can heal allies in lane with his lifetap. shen can taunt multiple people which makes a thornmail more effective than on garen.

apart form that... with shen you are not that tempted to waste your ultimate on 50 hp twitches..... just use your Q and its back after 3 seconds ;-P

PLZ BAN SHACO

10-14-2010

As I'm sure it's been said in this thread, Garen is a "beefy DPS", not so much a tank. Shen, on the other hand, is a high tier tank with multiple abilities that a tank should have to help support a team. He can taunt all five enemies if the positioning is right, and he can teleport to a carry if they get in trouble during a team fight. That shield is really invaluable to someone as squishy as Ashe or Ezreal.

I say Shen.

Valiant Turtle

10-15-2010

For a new player I'd say Rammus or Amumu. I'd say Rammus is the funnest of all the tanks to play and is less team dependent than Amumu. Shen is good, but his strengths really lie in higher tier play revolving around map control.

On the other hand, Shen does fine during the laning phase. Amumu and Rammus both have a very hard time in lane and at lower levels your team probably can't generally handle a jungler, and jungling is harder at lower levels anyway.