Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Tank Champion, who to choose?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kagemichi

10-08-2010

I have finally gained atleast 3150 IP and now, I'm considering getting a tank champion to play, since before I've only been playing carries and support type champions.

Any recommended tanks?

Also, if I have to choose between Shen and Garen, which would be the best?

LiquidPariah

10-08-2010

Garen has more dmg and slightly better survival over all i believe. Shen brings more utility and team based skills. Like his ult shields and pwns. Amumu is my personal preference for the aoe stun root thing. But he tends to be more item dependent.

Eliwood5837

Recruiter

10-08-2010

i'd say garen, i've played both at least 3 times and i preferred garen

fooolishfool

10-08-2010

Garren isn't a "tank" as such as a dps that is hard to kill. It is probably best early to focus on the traditional tanks - Shen, Rammus, Amumu, Galleo (all 4 of these have skills that let them force the other team to fight right here, right now - they can just run away from Garren).

Mentono

10-09-2010

it depends on which type of tank you want to play. Shen is very "protect the carry" type tank, Rammus is more "PAY ATTENTION TO ME IM EFFIN BOWSER" kinda tank, and Amumu and Galio are more "Oh you guys are all bunched up in a group so ima run in and INITIATE TO FK YOU PEOPLE OVER" kinda tank.

Amumu is definetly the best one though, then I prefer Shen, Rammus, and lastly Galio.

bobarabara

10-09-2010

I'd pick amumu since he's cheaper, versatile, can be played ap or tank, can jungle, and is one of the best tanks anyway

Doomcup

10-09-2010

Malphite ftw!

he really does have some great abilities!

Thebunker

10-10-2010

Quote:
fooolishfool:
Garren isn't a "tank" as such as a dps that is hard to kill.

The only thing that he is a tank, Due to fact that he has one of the best passives in the game.

http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/gu...an-ocean.xhtml (http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/guide/6894-garen-cry-me-an-ocean.xhtml) Please read this, i am tried of Players running around with garen stacking crit, AS and AD. if still don't believe me watch any competive, games if garen isn't banned you will see him played as a tank.

Burbinator

10-10-2010

From what I undestand, it's not that garen is a tank, its that his damage doesnt scale well so the best option is to get survivability items. However, his abilities don't really make him the best for tanking. As an off tank he's great but you can't rely on him to be the main tank if the other team is competent. His cc isn't as good as amumu and the other 3 "best" tanks all have taunts, which seems to be more important for a main tank. Just what I've heard tho

blackfenix

10-10-2010

Quote:
Kagemichi:
I have finally gained atleast 3150 IP and now, I'm considering getting a tank champion to play, since before I've only been playing carries and support type champions.

Any recommended tanks?

Also, if I have to choose between Shen and Garen, which would be the best?

If i was you i choose or Amumu , he have to 2 CC (bandage toss and ultimate), that is awesome, for me this is one of the tops tanks in game.
I like also Morde, since he alone in a lane is very strong and its a nice tank also