Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Tips in General

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FreedomRage5

11-24-2012

Hi guys, I'm fairly new to the game, and honestly bad. I get very bad rates most of the time, and my friends say I'm bad and a bad laning partner. Also, my map awareness is low, I don't know anything about positioning for teamfights and such. Also, I'm really bad at running away (even if i use flash). I also suck at last hitting as I play melee and I don't like to run in there because I always get poked. In general, I'm bad, haven't found a character I particularly enjoy and am good at. PPL say im just bad at LoL... is it not the game for me?
Any help for LoL, tips for last hitting, and maybe a good ranged ap person? (similar to kat, because shes pretty fun )

Crazy Crann

11-24-2012

It sounds to me like a good fit for you would be Jayce. He has both a ranged and melee kit and alternates between the two, giving you the tankiness of a melee AD character and a fantastic poke.

As far as map awareness goes - use wards. 75 gold seems like an awful lot until you see how many times knowing where the enemy is relative to you will save your life.

A few tricks with flash: try to use it to flash over walls. That's one of the best ways to escape an incoming gank. Also, if an enemy has already fired a skill that takes time to hit you (Taric's stun, Kayle's slow, etc.) it will STILL hit you, it just hits you further away. Keep that in mind.

As a newer player, you might almost get more utility out of Ghost than Flash.

Enfillyon

11-24-2012

you dont just get better at LoL as a whole, you get better at different aspects of it 1 by 1 so theres no need to get discouraged if you cant do everything, it just means you need to focus on something until it becomes second nature

i would say the best place to start is your laning phase because if anything, that part of the game will always exist whether the game ends early or not.

During laning you want to control the flow of minions, and this is true in all lanes. Ideally you want it frozen towards your tower because you are safe and anyone ganking would have to dive you and make the trade not worth it.

Last hitting is a very simple concept but hard to master. If youre melee and youre getting harassed for last hitting just allow your opponent to push the lane so you can do it under tower.

Keep in mind the amount of hits a tower does to minions so you can last hit.

at full health:
2 tower hits for melee minions and 1 auto should kill it
1 for caster minions and usually 2 autos (1 if you have AD)

Even if you cant get the last hit just make sure youre still in range for the experience. Another thing to note is that you will only draw aggro from other minions if you auto attack enemy champions, but using skills is perfectly fine against them. If you stand in your own minions and they AA you they will draw aggro and if enough minions are present it will hurt them more than them hitting you once.

If you find that your minions are just about at the tower but not there yet, push the lane. The tower will reset the lane to the middle and you can try to freeze it from there again.

If you have trouble being consistent with your last hits, select the minion youre about to kill, look at its health bar, then look at your AD. When its within killing range look at the health bar again and use that as a marker for when to auto attack.

The alternative to making sure your farm is high is by using champs like Graves, Singed or Morgana who all have an aoe that can clear mobs fast.

Different lanes have different dynamics you need to be aware of also. Mid is the shortest lane and therefore escaping ganks from there is a tad bit easier than other lanes should you be pushed up too far. One death in mid is very salvageable but you need to make sure you never fall behind in farm.

Top is an island. It's very snowbally and one death there can mean you lose your lane because the lane is longer and you miss out on a bit of exp should you leave it. Its also important because bruisers usually inhabit that lane and they excel in early-mid game and make it a nightmare for carries to do their job so you have to be particularly nitpicky about your mistakes.

Bot lane, like top, is a longer lane but by normal standards contain 2 players instead of 1. The ADC needs to focus on farming and as such the support needs to be **** about every little detail that can help the team out considering theyre in a more passive role compared to the others. You basically need to call the shots because until lategame you're the one who needs to carry the AD and make sure they make it that far. In other words you need to hold you carries hand until they become become big enough to do their job.

Bot lane can snowball but a well farmed brusier can still turn the game around. Mid and jungle are the play makers and you usually want your leaders in that position because they have more freedom to control the map whereas top and bot are isolated to their respective lanes early on.

Those are the lanes in a nutshell and I hope explaining them helped you to understand the importance of each and why controlling the flow of minions can be the deciding factor in who wins the lane.

As for suggesting a champ I cant think of anyone that jumps around as much as Kat while having insane kill potential while being ranged except for LeBlanc. If you like Kat for her mobility but are fine with being melee you should also try out Akali or Diana.

JJ Unbreakable

11-24-2012

Rule 1: Don't chase Singed.
Rule 2: Don't die.

Stay behind turrets if you have to. Watch the map.
Be aware of where your opponents are. All of them. 5. There's 5 of them.
Don't kill things unless you know with over 9000% certainty that you won't die.

Once you learn how to not die, then you will learn how to deal damage; then you will learn how to kill things; then you will learn how to win.

The first steps in LoL begin with 'not dying'.

FreedomRage5

11-25-2012

Quote:
Enfillyon:
you dont just get better at LoL as a whole, you get better at different aspects of it 1 by 1 so theres no need to get discouraged if you cant do everything, it just means you need to focus on something until it becomes second nature

i would say the best place to start is your laning phase because if anything, that part of the game will always exist whether the game ends early or not.

During laning you want to control the flow of minions, and this is true in all lanes. Ideally you want it frozen towards your tower because you are safe and anyone ganking would have to dive you and make the trade not worth it.

Last hitting is a very simple concept but hard to master. If youre melee and youre getting harassed for last hitting just allow your opponent to push the lane so you can do it under tower.

Keep in mind the amount of hits a tower does to minions so you can last hit.

at full health:
2 tower hits for melee minions and 1 auto should kill it
1 for caster minions and usually 2 autos (1 if you have AD)

Even if you cant get the last hit just make sure youre still in range for the experience. Another thing to note is that you will only draw aggro from other minions if you auto attack enemy champions, but using skills is perfectly fine against them. If you stand in your own minions and they AA you they will draw aggro and if enough minions are present it will hurt them more than them hitting you once.

If you find that your minions are just about at the tower but not there yet, push the lane. The tower will reset the lane to the middle and you can try to freeze it from there again.

If you have trouble being consistent with your last hits, select the minion youre about to kill, look at its health bar, then look at your AD. When its within killing range look at the health bar again and use that as a marker for when to auto attack.

The alternative to making sure your farm is high is by using champs like Graves, Singed or Morgana who all have an aoe that can clear mobs fast.

Different lanes have different dynamics you need to be aware of also. Mid is the shortest lane and therefore escaping ganks from there is a tad bit easier than other lanes should you be pushed up too far. One death in mid is very salvageable but you need to make sure you never fall behind in farm.

Top is an island. It's very snowbally and one death there can mean you lose your lane because the lane is longer and you miss out on a bit of exp should you leave it. Its also important because bruisers usually inhabit that lane and they excel in early-mid game and make it a nightmare for carries to do their job so you have to be particularly nitpicky about your mistakes.

Bot lane, like top, is a longer lane but by normal standards contain 2 players instead of 1. The ADC needs to focus on farming and as such the support needs to be **** about every little detail that can help the team out considering theyre in a more passive role compared to the others. You basically need to call the shots because until lategame you're the one who needs to carry the AD and make sure they make it that far. In other words you need to hold you carries hand until they become become big enough to do their job.

Bot lane can snowball but a well farmed brusier can still turn the game around. Mid and jungle are the play makers and you usually want your leaders in that position because they have more freedom to control the map whereas top and bot are isolated to their respective lanes early on.

Those are the lanes in a nutshell and I hope explaining them helped you to understand the importance of each and why controlling the flow of minions can be the deciding factor in who wins the lane.

As for suggesting a champ I cant think of anyone that jumps around as much as Kat while having insane kill potential while being ranged except for LeBlanc. If you like Kat for her mobility but are fine with being melee you should also try out Akali or Diana.

how do i freeze the lane?
and I dont understand what you mean y letting them aa you and letting your minions target them. Are you saying that if they AA you the minions will target them instead and do significant damage, given that there are enough?

Enfillyon

11-25-2012

Quote:
FreedomRage5:
how do i freeze the lane?
and I dont understand what you mean y letting them aa you and letting your minions target them. Are you saying that if they AA you the minions will target them instead and do significant damage, given that there are enough?

yes, thats exactly what happens when they AA you. Your minions will change targets to them until they are no longer in range and if they dont disengage they will lose a decent amount of hp.

You can try it for yourself in a bot game, AA the champion and youll see minions start to chase you and the casters particles will start flying towards you.

Freezing the lane just means to keep it in it's place. You can accomplish this by last hitting. When you constantly attack minions you are slowly pushing the lane and it moves towards the enemy turret each wave. Eventually you'll be under their turret and be very susceptible to ganks from the jungler while making it impossible for your own jungler to gank.

Ideally you want to freeze it just before you tower and not right under it. If you do this right the lane will always be slightly on your side and you can control what your opponents do better.

Control is the wrong word, its more like what they will do becomes more readable and you can predict what will happen more accurately.