[Solo Q Secrets #002] Boring S*** Gets You Kills

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ryzeonline

11-08-2012

NOTE 1: I don't have ELO to back me up. My ranks still climbing, but I still have wisdom to share, and I do play with many high-ELO friends. I've written a book about League, and I run my own business as a life-coach.

I share what I've learned to help others. I offer people Fresh, Creative Ideas they may not have heard. I offer a chance to EXPERIMENT and potentially IMPROVE your game EXPERIENCE.

I know you can appreciate the time it took to write, and I trust you'll be gentle and kind.

But, hey... if you gotta hate, best of luck to ya, I'm sure it'll take you far in life

NOTE 2: Like my other Solo Q “Secrets”, these are just my own experiences, and conclusions I’ve discovered. I’m a human being, I’m sharing things I feel will help others. They are SUGGESTED EXPERIMENTS.

Let's begin

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most players won’t do the “boring” s*** in league of legends, or they won’t do it well.

But it’s KEY.

Pro players get this.

If you watch any pro stream: Salce’s, Ocelote’s, Aphromoo’s, etc… you’ll see that they are very, very, very careful, and they put their heart into mastering "boring s***".

They make big plays, yes, and those are the one’s people remember, but during an hour long game, how many 'big plays' did they really make?

Most of their in game time was spent doing “boring s***”.

How does boring s*** help get you kills?

Let me paint you a before and after picture:

Quote:
Before [Part 1]:

Before mastering boring ****, you act impulsively, on auto-pilot.

You’re used to chasing kills, so you chase them way past the river, deep into enemy territory.

Then you burn all your spells, mana, HP, ult and summoners.. just to get back to your side alive.

And you’re proud of yourself! “Yay! See! I lived!”

But you don’t realize
you have everything on cooldown, and you have to miss out on minion waves while you heal in base.
Quote:
Before [Part 2]:

Before mastering boring ****, you get busy giving away advantages.

You’re used to playing all kill-hungry, so you keep eating skillshots in lane. You come out from behind minions, running around trying to land harass.

You don’t even notice that you’re not getting any CS, and the other team is. You don’t realize that your support is running out of wards and mana, just trying to keep you alive. You don’t realize that your HP and health potions are being slowly burned, but the enemy’s are not.

You’re easily handing the opponents your lane, even if your support is trying to help.

You're so focused on the "me" show, that you have zero map awareness, and are constantly in blind, risky, ultra-gankable positions.

You’re being outplayed, and you don’t even get it.

You start to rage as trade after trade goes bad.

You rage as an enemy gets away with 14hp.

You start blaming the support who’s been warding and helping you all lane, taking no CS and doing their best.

It’s got to be *their* fault you’re dead and you couldn’t close the kill – right?
After mastering boring s***:

You farm super-safe under the turret, basically not going for a kill until level 7.
So… You’re ahead in CS.

You stay behind your support *and* minions, dodging skillshots.
So… You have higher HP.

You poke here and there, but don’t abuse your spells.
So… You have higher MP.

You smartly choose your lifesteal ADC Quints, even though it’s blind pick.
So… You can still focus on attack damage, and get some healing at the same time.

You rarely extend out past the river, even if the enemy is baiting you.
So… You always have a turret waiting to dish out mad deeps for you.

You grab early boots + pots.
So… you can easily escape ganks, poke, and last hit -- and make it back to your tower safely.

You focus on rarely taking damage.
So…Your support has lots of leftover mana for big fights or to harass the enemy away from minions.

What happens now?

Now… you have outplayed the enemy, and you f*** their s*** up hard when they engage.

In fact, because of your patient play, they may get frustrated and start to dive you – and you’re already strong enough to beat them in a fair fight, but you also get your turret DPS helping out.

Or maybe they'll have their jungler roaming and camping your lane, wasting his time + gold trying to gank someone who's far too smart for that.

The game's becoming a massacre and you’re the one dealing out the pain.

Oh, and did I mention the rest of your team LOVES you for having a nice, fat ZERO in your deaths column as you hit level 6/7 and start to rack up the kills?

Boring s*** gets kills… yes.

Boring s*** like:
  • patiently last hitting
  • learning how to last-hit under your turret
  • learning how to make your supports job easier
  • harassing and positioning safely
  • zoning enemies out of farm or lane, without getting greedy for the kill
  • pushing for objectives instead of chasing heroes all over the map
  • ward-planting/-clearing
  • freezing lanes
  • and so much more

Boring s*** works like magic.

Watch any pro match and you'll see they do all these things, and they rock them, hard.

They’d be kicked off their team for taking foolish risks, so they need to learn safer, "more boring" play.

(yes there are exceptions -- but let's be honest -- I'm not one of them... are you?)

If you’re like me, you probably don’t, or at least there’s quite a lot of room for improvement in one of these ‘boring s***’ areas.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TL;DR?

Boring s*** gets kills, it wins lanes, it wins games, and it makes things easy.

And even more importantly, boring s*** keeps you alive.

And League Of Legends is a snowball game, where every death has HUGE impact.

I couldn’t say it any better than KTM90 did here: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2771127

And ultimately as you start rising in ELO because of it, boring s*** isn’t boring at all.

Thanks for reading (and being kind and gentle with your feedback.)

Go experiment with boring s*** and (heh heh) HAVE FUN!

Like this? Read more of the series:

[Solo Q Secrets #001] Surrendering Wins Games
[Solo Q Secrets #002] Boring S*** Gets You Kills
[Solo Q Secrets #003] The Skills Of Strangers (Or... Not)
[Solo Q Secrets #004] ELOs Like Money - Use It Wisely
[Solo Q Secrets #005] P-P-P-P-P-Pokerface.
[Solo Q Secrets #006] Breathe In (The Soul-Crushing Defeat)
[Solo Q Secrets #007] Clash Of The Titans … Personalities
[Solo Q Secrets #008] Kills, Kills, Kills… Using Smart Aggression Secrets
[Solo Q Secrets #009] Make Sense Of The Chaos

Think this series should be seen by more people?

Reply and BUMP IT or...

...CLICK THIS LINK TO TWEET THIS POST TO YOUR FOLLOWERS

Thanks so much, guys!

Keep ryzin'!

chaozfactor

11-08-2012

Bump

I wouldnt call it boring though i would just call it smart play

ryzeonline

11-08-2012

Chaoz! Thanks for the bump and "getting it".

And I totally agree with you --

The "boring" tag is part of creating enticing headlines and good song titles --

...but it really is how many people feel about those parts of LOL....

...besides, the magic of it all, is that in the end I conclude...

Quote:
"And ultimately as you start rising in ELO because of it, boring s*** isnít boring at all."
Thanks for driving the point home for everyone

EasymodeX

11-08-2012

Boring play isn't fun.

Winning is fun.

So you have to balance boring play and winning and/or deciding on your priorities.

Many games "not a **** was given" regarding zzzzz farming, turtling, or passive-aggressive gameplay. Then again, when this happens the player should probably avoid the ADC spot which is one that leans the most on boring gameplay.

Oyxl

11-09-2012

I play a lot of Jayce games like that lately. I just farm creeps, stick to safe games and wait it out. That's all I do, wait, wait, wait.

You can see it here:
http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/35172588#history

Lulu; 0/0/11
Jayce; 4/0/3
Jayce; 4/0/2
Jayce; 10/4/8

The one with 2/8/13 is one where I decided to play aggressively. I ended up being the LVP (least valuable player) of the match.

ryzeonline

11-09-2012

Thanks so much for the replies, guys|!

@EasyModeX : I hear you, and yes, it is a kind of "balance". At the same time I was attempting to go deeper, go *beyond* labels. The point was that high level players somehow find boring **** fun.

Froggen seems to get a kind of joy from topping his own CS/farm records. LemonNation goes through games with zero deaths.

Boring = Fun = Winning, seems to be their equation.

Again, I'm not sure about this, I'm simply proposing a Fresh Way Of Thinking than most of the server, and a Possible Experiment that may improve game experiences for others.

Hopefully that's coming through clearyl

@Oyxl: Excellent, that is a fantastic example of what I was getting at with my proposal. It might not be for everyone, but it works in my experience, and sounds like it works for you too.

In a snowball game like League Of Legends... Over-aggressive = LVP???

Kaalika

11-09-2012

Boring = Winning
Winning = Fun
Therefore
Boring = Fun

It's not really boring though.

EasymodeX

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritSentient View Post
Thanks so much for the replies, guys|!

@EasyModeX : I hear you, and yes, it is a kind of "balance". At the same time I was attempting to go deeper, go *beyond* labels. The point was that high level players somehow find boring **** fun.
I doubt they really find boring **** as fun as fun ****.

They just prioritize on winning and focus on the fun of winning rather than the fun of actions that are inherently fun. And/or they learn how to incorporate fun stuff (aggressiveness) into their gameplay with a degree of precision that makes it proof against losing (e.g. being careful, or being aggressive with good map awareness).

In any case, any individual can find different things fun. So you can always find examples of one thing or another. The bottom line though is that "winners", or players that are trying hard to win, essentially focus on the fun of winning -- regardless of other factors. In some cases this synergizes with what they naturally find fun. In other cases, not. Shrug.

ryzeonline

11-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaalika View Post
Boring = Winning
Winning = Fun
Therefore
Boring = Fun

It's not really boring though.

Hahhaahaha... a fantastic way of putting it, Kaalika You rock

ryzeonline

11-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasymodeX View Post
In any case, any individual can find different things fun. So you can always find examples of one thing or another. The bottom line though is that "winners", or players that are trying hard to win, essentially focus on the fun of winning -- regardless of other factors. In some cases this synergizes with what they naturally find fun. In other cases, not. Shrug.

Yep, and it's really all semantics -- labels of 'boring' and 'fun' are personal, subjective experiences. My only aim was to draw attention to an often misunderstood aspect of the game and "winning" -- which I feel I've done, and I feel you've helped clarify

So thanks, man