Karthus help please

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Crazywithanx

06-22-2013

Omg karthus ulti shuld dew tru dmg! dat way u can b sure it kills them!

Just kidding. I'm a somewhat new player, I just hit level 30 a couple days ago and I've been playing actively for a couple months now. I just got placed in bronze II although I believe Im better than that, as people were feeding in my placement games. I main jungler, but sometimes I like to mid as karthus sinces hes a strong and pretty fun champion. Recently though, I've been having a lot of problems with him.

In lane, I seem to take so much harass and be zoned out by most people I go up against. A few that come to mind are Ryze, Morgana, Talon (I know he counters most AP carries), lux etc. Thats just off the top of my head, but It happens frequently. Using Ryze as an example because he was the most recent person I went up against, We both farmed up for a couple minutes, he really didnt poke me all that much until about level 4, and then after that, every time I got even close to minions he would just turn on me and lay out his combo on me, taking away at least half of my health, and If I traded back would maybe do 25% of his health, granted I landed my Q's. By level 6 He had me completely zoned out, to the point where even under my tower I was taking harass, and he even picked up 2 kills on me under my own turret by the 20 minute mark. I bought a negatron to try to mitigate damage, and of course had my RoA built by then for the sustain, but it didnt seem to help much.

I am not QQ'ing or asking for a buff, because I know karthus is a strong champ, and even if I feed a tad, come late game he is still very powerful. I just want to know, what I can do to make the laning phase easier. The only thing I can think of is to get better at landing Q's for harass which im not great at ATM but really that doesnt help me if im completely zoned out. Is karthus just a naturally weak laner that just relies on getting farm and making it to the late game? Any and all help and contructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.

USAupinher

06-22-2013

ya you do get harassed laning just farm and dont go for kills unless you start landing your Q really well. His game doesn't get real good until level 10 when you get some magic pen. Suicide and hourglass wins team fight.

Another thing i found is using revive. Team fight and youll probably die, Q as much as possible then use revive and ult. ive tripple killed and aced sooo many times it rediculous.

a Scarlett

06-22-2013

figure out what is best for your starting items.
if you think your gonna get poked down alot dont start boots.

if your against a high pressure jungler or someone who can set it up fairly easily get 2 wards pots
karthus is a farm champion and smart players know this so they will always be aggressive. If they are just throw wall and kite back with q. If the enemy isnt just farm or land ur spells.

AskKarthus

06-22-2013

One the note of suicidal Karthus, there is a proper way to use that strategy. If you ever hear the term "Zombie Karthus" this is what they mean. You go Revive/Teleport, DROP A WARD in teamfights, suicide in teamfight, use your ult immediately, then teleport to the ward. In order to do this you must also take the mastery that buffs revive. This strategy works especially well if the enemy team is stuck fighting on your corpse.

Technician Tim

06-22-2013

karthus is a weird pick in that he is terrible in hos own lane, but can win other lanes, and teamfights with his massive utility, you really can only sit in lane and try to farm as best as you can, and hope you get to his godly late game

GrapePowa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-30-2013

you have to know how champions work on the basic levels. Karthus isnt really made to trade where as ryze is which is why after one or two trades he can easily kill you. KArthus is a poke champ with his Q's or W for slow for major harass damage. Karthus to me is similar to soraka you just sit back and do your thing then ult when you need to.

also since youre new to ranked games, skills arent the only important things, knowing the game mechanics are. such as counter picks and building responsively to players. skills will only get you so far, half the game is decided at champion selection because having team comp and counter picking makes a huge difference.

Sylvr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-30-2013

If you're against someone with a gap-closer as Karthus, then you have to hang way way back and just farm with your Q as you can. If they're standing between you and the CS, then go ahead and try to land some Qs on them. If you get an HP lead, then you can W and chase them a bit with some Qs. If you get a LARGE HP lead, then turn on your E and go for a kill. Don't try to kill them until you have an HP lead. Karthus isn't a duelist unless you have sniper precision landing single-target Qs.

Since Karthus is reliant on constant skill-shots, you really have to play your opponent. You have to know how they're going to move, and you have to MAKE them move how you want. For instance, most people, if they're not idiots, are going to run away if they're slowed by your W, because if they don't, then you're going to get on top of them with your E on while they have their MR shredded. Since you know that they're going to run, your Qs suddenly get a lot easier to land (not to mention how much the Slow itself helps). Basically, make them move where you want, and then punish them for moving that way.

Similarly, if you DO happen to wander too close to a melee assassin, or if they flash to get to you, then take advantage that you know where they're going to be. Turn on your E, W on top of yourself, and then plant your Qs right beside you. If they're melee, then they can't avoid these unless they disengage. Even if you eventually die to them, you can often trade it back during your passive unless it's someone that gets a jump reset or something.

Against Ryze specifically, you don't have to go anywhere near him to get CS. Just farm from max range, and if he tries to zone you from even that, then shower him with Qs and/or call in your Jungler. Just bear in mind that at level 6, he'll get his ult which gives him a good MS buff, and he might be able to close in on you even from max range, so you might want to stay away from him when you don't have your W to counter that. If he uses his flash to close on you, then you might not be able to avoid a death, but you can punish him for using that flash by having your Jungler camp him for the next 5 minutes.

ThorHammerz

06-30-2013

Hi there!

Landing more Qs as Karthus would help you (a LOT!) when trading/harassing, as each skittle does a ludicrous amount of damage for the CD and mana cost (assuming you hit them!). Practice makes perfect, these things take awhile to get used to, don't be disheartened

Wards, wards, wards! If you're having trouble with Karthus, I'm sure you've probably realized by now that Karthus is one squishy bag o' bones. Don't make it any worse for yourself by letting the enemy jungler camp you for free (because you didn't ward consistently and/or properly!)

Following on the note of "wow, karthus is fcking squishy!", it is generally a VERY bad idea to exchange blows with the enemy mid laner in a straight up brawl. Karthus excels in hit-and-run harass with his long range skittles, but will blow up the instant something sneezes his way. What you want to do is farm - NOTHING ELSE MATTERS. Anything you get (damage dealt to the enemy, kills/assists on others, etc) should be treated as a bonus (or pure luxury, especially if your enemies have half a brain).

vs Ryze: Yea that guy can really punish you levels 1-3 when you're weakest (before you get wall of pain). Do NOT push the minion wave (or trade, since you'll probably miss your skittles per his insanely high base movespeed + MS quints). Starting items should include 4-5 HP pots to recover any damage taken. Do NOT go for dangerous caster minion cs if it means you lose half your health for it! Ryze at lv 2 will combo (QWQ + autos) for pretty much 80% of your hp if you let him do it for free. Ask for ganks post lv4 (your jungler needs a gapcloser, otherwise don't even bother), and just farm, farm, farm. You scale just as well as he does, and if he's not bringing teleport (ie, he brings ignite to try and kill you), he will have little to no map presence and you can just ult to turn a 2v2 into a 3v2 down at bot, getting your adc fed, and picking up a couple assists while you're at it.

(Note: do NOT save your ult just to secure kills at the last moment! Chances are, your teammates could use the immediate 300(+) gold better than you can at 10-15 minutes into game. You have enough gold from farming the hell out of mid lane anyways).

vs. Morgana: Please for the love of god do NOT eat her dark binding skillshots. Those things are easy to dodge in the first place (the projectile is REALLY slow). Do NOT stand in your caster creeps past lv2, you're just asking to take free damage from her pool (note: 2 ticks of damage may not be a lot, but it adds up because a) you're squishy, b) you have absolutely no sustain). After level 6, do NOT attempt to trade with her at close range (she can ult-initiate and then you're screwed, even under your own turret). After catalyst + tear, you can outpush her if she's not spamming her pool on CD. Farm lane, farm jungle, farm enemy jungle, repeat, rinse.

vs Talon: ask for a lane swap, or build an early seeker's armguard and be ready to die a lot and risk talon snowballing the other lanes. Stay FAR back as possible picking up farm and exp. Expect to die a lot and not be able to retaliate. If your jungler is extra nice with your lane, I advise you to pick up a pink ward (on top of your other wards!) so you can fight at lv6.

vs Lux: Don't eat her Q bindings (seriously, same with morgana). Watch out for her E harass (easy to predict where its going to be thrown after getting used to it, with experience), and please do not stay in auto attack range after she hits you with anything. Don't get sniped (watch those Q bindings), be wary of Lux shielding allies in a teamfight, and don't blindly walk into her laser.

Karthus is like Nasus in many respects, in that they have piss poor early games (especially versus people who can hit them with ease: in karthus' case that includes people like ahri/kassadin/leblanc/zed/etc), but will blow up the enemy team come lategame when u have 4+ items. It's generally a bad idea to first-pick karthus before the enemy mid is picked, and even then, the rest of the enemy team can 'counter' your karthus pick by bringing assassins/divers or just a team with a ton of heals/sustains and spammable shields.

In an "ideal" game, what you would want to do is to:
a) farm the lane (don't miss those CS, karthus has the perfect kit to pick up each and every minion, even under turret!)
b) farm your wraiths/wolves
c) farm the enemy wraiths/wolves if you can push harder/he's going to roam/recall
d) keep both sides warded (especially bot-side wraiths ramp!! You have ZERO mobility without teleport. Your ult is on an insanely long cooldown pre lv16 especially without blue. if your enemy laner is going to roam, make sure the other lanes are well aware! (Ping like a madman), and have your team act accordingly if you have/have not your ult.
e) burn down dragon the instant you get the chance to with your jungler. Tip: if you have blue buff/cdr, you can toggle E on/off at a faster rate to deal more damage than just letting it tick passively! (QEQEQEQEQEQE..... etc spam)
e2) depending on your jungler/top, it may be possible to sneak baron early/mid game with karthus' insane dps.
f) use ult early/mid game during laning phase to "gank" a lane (probably bot, but also top). It's 250/400/550(+0.6 AP) burst damage for free. No kill for you? Its still a kill for your team (and you get assists and a stronger team to help you carry.)