What lane to play t win games?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Boss FBH

11-24-2012

WIth the elo reset i won 6 straight ranked games, then lost 5 straight. 3 of the 5 i lost were easily winnable except we had an afk....3 times. Which just pisses me off because some idiot causes me -40 elo. anyways. Im right around 1200 elo and i need to carry myself a bit higher because no matter what lane im in i do really well but we end up losing depending on my team. Which lane is best to win games?

Etherimp

11-24-2012

Well.. In short, it kind of depends on you. I have heard of people carrying themselves out of Elo Hell by playing a support, but I've never done it myself.

Top Lane has the least influence on other lanes, unless you take Teleport and/or play Shen, who is always banned. That said, a Fed Tanky DPS rolling into Mid game can absolutely crush the enemy teams morale when he stomps all over their carries... But Top lane can be easily counter-picked, and most Top Lane Tanky DPS champs fall off late game. Rumble, Cho'gath, and a few others remain pretty viable.

Mid Lane can gank both other lanes AND help the enemy jungler... Mid lane is also easiest to counter-pick, and they tend to fall off late game.. So if the positioning of your AD Carry or the initiates of your tank are absolutely horrible, then you will be unlikely to win the game even though you carried early/mid game.

Support gets the AD carry fed and support is hard to counter-pick against.. Or rather, counter-picking Support makes less of a difference overall. AD Carry carries late game.. Assuming the rest of your lanes don't feed and your AD carry is somewhat competent, it's possible to win a lot of games as support, but with how horribly bad a lot of AD carries are at Low Elo, I would not trust this as an option, as you cannot take enough of a leadership role of your team no matter how well you are doing. But, if you can DuoQueue with a good AD carry, you can effectively ensure a strong late game no matter what.

Playing AD carry is a mixed bag. You will sometimes get very fed and carry your team to an easy victory, sometimes you will die a lot early game only to come back late game.. Sometimes no matter how well you play you will get nothing but assists and never get fed enough to out-pace the enemy AD Carry.. Sometimes you'll be ahead by 40 farm and winning your lane, only to have 4 man ganks start showing up at bottom and tower diving you. Other times, your support will be absolutely horrible and feed your lane so you can't do anything against them.. Sometimes the rest of the team will feed their lanes, then no matter how well you technically played, you will show up into mid game being too weak/squishy and will get instantly blown up by their AP Carry/Tanky DPS. So, essentially, playing AD carry is very unreliable. This is why picks like Ezreal and Corki are so common/popular in solo-queue.. Because those 2 champions (along with a few others, granted), have more escapes and thus are capable of saving their own skin more often than someone like Ashe or Sivir. Having said all of that: IF you play a very good AD carry and you always out farm your enemy and you have very good positioning, then AD carry is good to play because your damage scales harder than anyone elses.

Jungle, I think it depends on the champions you are picking. You can effectively help other lanes get fed and snowball your team out of control no matter how bad they are. One strategy I have been using lately is going Cho'gath (who scales well into late game and has a lot of CC), and then focusing completely on getting my AP Carry (mid) as fed as I can. If I camp mid, I can usually ensure my AP carry gets a few kills, which guarantees they win their lane. Once they win their lane, they are free to roam to Top/Bot and help me gank, which allows us to win the other lanes and transition strong into late game.

The only down side to this, is that if the enemy team directly counters me by attacking my jungle or shutting me down early, then it can be difficult to assist any lane and it can be difficult to win. This is MOSTLY under your control.. However, if the enemy lanes are often invading your jungle and 3v1ing you while your teammates are completely oblivious and do not call mia's or come and help when you ping, then there's not much you can do. You will be called a bad jungler and be blamed for the loss even though your teammates were at least partially at fault.

The higher your Elo goes (I'd say, somewhere around 1400), the more likely you will have teammates that work together a little better.. but at 1200 Elo, I recommend your champion pick be based on the following:

1. Counter your lane opponent. Never pick mid/top before the enemy has picked mid/top.

2. Try to play Mid/Jungle or Bot lane Support/AD if you are duo-queued.

3. Have CC.. Do not bring a champion into a game who has 0 CC, unless you already have a team with a lot of CC.. Then and only then can you consider going someone like Morde or Katarina... And with Katarina, only if you know you can execute your ulti without being interrupted.. IE - Don't go Kat if there is an enemy Alistar/Cho'gath/Soraka/Sona/Kassadin, etc.

4. Be comfortable with the champion you are playing. Counter-picking a lane is great.. But no matter how hard Jax beats Irelia, if you are a horrible Jax playing an experienced Irelia, Irelia will destroy you.

TLR? Practice Mid/Jungle but be proficient in every role. Have at least 3-4 champions which you are comfortable with which can play each position.

t3hep1cf47m4n

11-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss FBH View Post
WIth the elo reset i won 6 straight ranked games, then lost 5 straight. 3 of the 5 i lost were easily winnable except we had an afk....3 times. Which just pisses me off because some idiot causes me -40 elo. anyways. Im right around 1200 elo and i need to carry myself a bit higher because no matter what lane im in i do really well but we end up losing depending on my team. Which lane is best to win games?
the lanes you are not in.

if you got a **** team, you're ( likely ) going to lose no matter how well you do personally.

AskKarthus

11-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etherimp View Post
Well.. In short, it kind of depends on you. I have heard of people carrying themselves out of Elo Hell by playing a support, but I've never done it myself.

Top Lane has the least influence on other lanes, unless you take Teleport and/or play Shen, who is always banned. That said, a Fed Tanky DPS rolling into Mid game can absolutely crush the enemy teams morale when he stomps all over their carries... But Top lane can be easily counter-picked, and most Top Lane Tanky DPS champs fall off late game. Rumble, Cho'gath, and a few others remain pretty viable.

Mid Lane can gank both other lanes AND help the enemy jungler... Mid lane is also easiest to counter-pick, and they tend to fall off late game.. So if the positioning of your AD Carry or the initiates of your tank are absolutely horrible, then you will be unlikely to win the game even though you carried early/mid game.

Support gets the AD carry fed and support is hard to counter-pick against.. Or rather, counter-picking Support makes less of a difference overall. AD Carry carries late game.. Assuming the rest of your lanes don't feed and your AD carry is somewhat competent, it's possible to win a lot of games as support, but with how horribly bad a lot of AD carries are at Low Elo, I would not trust this as an option, as you cannot take enough of a leadership role of your team no matter how well you are doing. But, if you can DuoQueue with a good AD carry, you can effectively ensure a strong late game no matter what.

Playing AD carry is a mixed bag. You will sometimes get very fed and carry your team to an easy victory, sometimes you will die a lot early game only to come back late game.. Sometimes no matter how well you play you will get nothing but assists and never get fed enough to out-pace the enemy AD Carry.. Sometimes you'll be ahead by 40 farm and winning your lane, only to have 4 man ganks start showing up at bottom and tower diving you. Other times, your support will be absolutely horrible and feed your lane so you can't do anything against them.. Sometimes the rest of the team will feed their lanes, then no matter how well you technically played, you will show up into mid game being too weak/squishy and will get instantly blown up by their AP Carry/Tanky DPS. So, essentially, playing AD carry is very unreliable. This is why picks like Ezreal and Corki are so common/popular in solo-queue.. Because those 2 champions (along with a few others, granted), have more escapes and thus are capable of saving their own skin more often than someone like Ashe or Sivir. Having said all of that: IF you play a very good AD carry and you always out farm your enemy and you have very good positioning, then AD carry is good to play because your damage scales harder than anyone elses.

Jungle, I think it depends on the champions you are picking. You can effectively help other lanes get fed and snowball your team out of control no matter how bad they are. One strategy I have been using lately is going Cho'gath (who scales well into late game and has a lot of CC), and then focusing completely on getting my AP Carry (mid) as fed as I can. If I camp mid, I can usually ensure my AP carry gets a few kills, which guarantees they win their lane. Once they win their lane, they are free to roam to Top/Bot and help me gank, which allows us to win the other lanes and transition strong into late game.

The only down side to this, is that if the enemy team directly counters me by attacking my jungle or shutting me down early, then it can be difficult to assist any lane and it can be difficult to win. This is MOSTLY under your control.. However, if the enemy lanes are often invading your jungle and 3v1ing you while your teammates are completely oblivious and do not call mia's or come and help when you ping, then there's not much you can do. You will be called a bad jungler and be blamed for the loss even though your teammates were at least partially at fault.

The higher your Elo goes (I'd say, somewhere around 1400), the more likely you will have teammates that work together a little better.. but at 1200 Elo, I recommend your champion pick be based on the following:

1. Counter your lane opponent. Never pick mid/top before the enemy has picked mid/top.

2. Try to play Mid/Jungle or Bot lane Support/AD if you are duo-queued.

3. Have CC.. Do not bring a champion into a game who has 0 CC, unless you already have a team with a lot of CC.. Then and only then can you consider going someone like Morde or Katarina... And with Katarina, only if you know you can execute your ulti without being interrupted.. IE - Don't go Kat if there is an enemy Alistar/Cho'gath/Soraka/Sona/Kassadin, etc.

4. Be comfortable with the champion you are playing. Counter-picking a lane is great.. But no matter how hard Jax beats Irelia, if you are a horrible Jax playing an experienced Irelia, Irelia will destroy you.

TLR? Practice Mid/Jungle but be proficient in every role. Have at least 3-4 champions which you are comfortable with which can play each position.
AD carry is possibly the best position to carry yourself out of low Elo. If you farm or get fed consistently, your chances of winning are considerably higher.

Sivir is a fantastic AD carry. Granted she doesn't have the high mobility of Graves/Corki/Ezreal, she has a spell shield, which is much better defense against ganks, blitz grabs, ect. She also has a great ult, a team steroid.

Etherimp

11-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskKarthus View Post
AD carry is possibly the best position to carry yourself out of low Elo. If you farm or get fed consistently, your chances of winning are considerably higher.

Sivir is a fantastic AD carry. Granted she doesn't have the high mobility of Graves/Corki/Ezreal, she has a spell shield, which is much better defense against ganks, blitz grabs, ect. She also has a great ult, a team steroid.

I never said there was anything wrong with or weak about Sivir.. I only said that AD carries like Corki/Graves/Ezreal tend to be more viable in ranked play due to their ability to escape and/or fend for themselves. I actually quite like Sivir.

Although, I disagree that AD carry is the "best" position to carry yourself out of Elo Hell. You're too dependent upon the rest of your team and you have little opportunity to get the rest of the team fed.