Toxicity.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wrathvicious

06-10-2013

Hi. I'd like to address the community on a subject which may or may not end up burying my post in a sea of red numbers, but I'd like to take a crack at it anyways!

Today I'm going to be talking about correcting toxicity within the game, and that entails correcting your own toxicity, whether or not it's intentional. Let's start by identifying what is toxic.

Toxic
This is really quite simple, and easy to identify. The biggest issue is being able to identify it before it happens! Something that is toxic is negative, and it spreads from person to person and makes things just bad. I don't want to undermine your guys' intelligence with some kiddie BS, so I'll just hop right into it!

How are you?
And I really mean that. How are you today? How are you feeling right now? Is there something that happened during the school day or something at work that has you put off or a little miffed?

Assessing your current mood before queuing up for a game is a pretty big deal. After all, your mood affects the other 4 players on your team. If you come in pessimistic or angry, and leave that vibe in the lobby and throughout the game, chances are that you'll toxify the game and the players involved, leaving them in a sour mood whether or not the outcome was a victory.

Understanding how you feel before you go into a game is important, and you need to be able to control your feelings to succeed and move up into higher leagues, as well as encourage your teammates to do the same with positive behavior!

Need a break?
If you've been playing for a long time, whether or not you've been on a losing streak or a winning streak, League of Legends is a taxing game and focusing really hard on something for 30+ minutes at a time over and over again can take it's toll on the brain. Whether you realize it or not, you could be mentally fatigued, and in reaching such a state, you might slip up, get stressed out easier, etc, and start raging in the midst of a game when you think you shouldn't.

You were new once.
We've all had times where we see ____ building ____ and you jam your palm to your face so hard that the resulting bloody nose propelled you from your seat. Don't insult them, if you look back far enough you used to build something on a champ that didn't make any sense either. If you have the time, explain why they should build something else using reason, with as little adjectives as possible. Just use numbers and reasoning.

So that's pretty much all I've got so far! I might come in and add some more later. Otherwise I'd be happy to hear any other advice or just general feedback any of you have. I'm sure as heck not a psychologist and there's bound to be others with a different point of view, so argue with me if you feel the urge.

Either way I just want the LoL community to be a happier and friendlier place.

Also.

@LYTE
@LYTE

Fajita Milkshake

06-10-2013

How to fix toxicity in game:
Revamp the schools these kiddies go to and train them to critically think.

Wrathvicious

06-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fajita Milkshake View Post
How to fix toxicity in game:
Revamp the schools these kiddies go to and train them to critically think.
While I may or may not agree with you has nothing to do with what I'm attempting to address.

I apologize if I wasn't being very clear, but I'd like this thread to be about advice to other players to make our community more friendly and open. c:

I don't want there to be any discussion about morality, or... Well really anything argumentative.

Pookrat

06-10-2013

What I find ironic about the toxicity in this game is that it is often the people that call other players toxic that are the real toxicity. Seriously guys, this is the internet. Stop taking everything to heart, and quit making this game into Mario Party.

Fajita Milkshake

06-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathvicious View Post
I apologize if I wasn't being very clear, but I'd like this thread to be about advice to other players to make our community more friendly and open. c:
Nothing teaches children to be more friendly than telling them to complete an assignment because you said so.
Teach them to be intelligent and think, and they will be friendly and open.
"One of the greatest marks of the intelligent is to at least entertain even the wildest idea."

1v1 on RS

06-10-2013

I was reported, called toxic, and boosted today by an unranked ezreal in a normals because I said "you're doing nothing" (because he was actually doing nothing).

People need to comprehend the definition of toxic instead of crying toxic when someone says something remotely negative.

Wrathvicious

06-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookrat View Post
What I find ironic about the toxicity in this game is that it is often the people that call other players toxic that are the real toxicity. Seriously guys, this is the internet. Stop taking everything to heart, and quit making this game into Mario Party.
The argument that people can only "take" offense is fairly reasonable. But there's no way of knowing whether or not a player is in a positive point in their life or not.

For all you know they could be suicidal.

I'm not saying you should baby everyone like a kindergarden teacher, but I just want people to recognize whether or not their own personal behavior is toxic or not. Just take a step back and look at the situation before you act, y'know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fajita Milkshake View Post
Nothing teaches children to be more friendly than telling them to complete an assignment because you said so.
Teach them to be intelligent and think, and they will be friendly and open.
"One of the greatest marks of the intelligent is to at least entertain even the wildest idea."
Like I said, I don't want this to turn into an intellectual debate. There are plenty of other places for this sort of discussion. While it might propel my thread into getting more posts, I don't want that sort of discussion here. This isn't the place for arguments. I just want people to analyze and discuss their own personal behavior to better the community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1v1 on rs View Post
I was reported, called toxic, and boosted today by an unranked ezreal in a normals because I said "you're doing nothing" (because he was actually doing nothing).

People need to comprehend the definition of toxic instead of crying toxic when someone says something remotely negative.
I'm honestly not sure how this really relates to anything I'm trying to address in this topic.

I understand that you're upset about this experience, but perhaps if you had taken a step back to rationalize the match at hand you would have had a different approach.

You said "You're doing nothing" to the Ezreal. In your head that could be 100% true, statistically that could even be 100% true, but it doesn't help anything to state that. I've had numerous games where I've felt that my teammates weren't carrying their load, but I just shrugged it off and played my own game. If I was being particularly ambitious I'd even give them advice, whether I felt they'd accept it or not.

The major point I'm trying to get across is that when you act negatively toward a player in a game, they become more negative, which creates a perpetuating negative system in the community. Ie. the word "toxic".