Beating Nidalee

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

M3GaL0d0n

11-24-2012

Heads-up... I was really tired when I wrote this... so I'm not sure how stupid most of this sounds... so if you want some tips skip down to the bottom, the other stuff is me complaining about how OP she is in lane, but there's some good stuff in there too...

First off, to put it nicely... Nidalee's lane-phase is complete bullcrap. Nidalee is an amazing champion, in addition to laning like no ones business, she's a crazy good teamfighter and she's extremely versatile... so I can see why you'd have trouble with her if she's a little foreign to you.

She's one of just a handful of champs that have both a functional AD and AP build, and therefore a hybrid build as well. This allows her to deal with both strong melee fighters, by going AP (Ranged), and most strong ranged fighters with AD (Melee). Try not to worry about counter building her, as the only thing to really counter her with is a skill set rather than items (Until late game, at least). How well you do against a Nidalee is going to depend on how well you play against the build and playstyle she's using. So in order to figure out how to beat her, you need to know what it is Nidalee is good at, and where she sucks, and exploit them.

Nidalee is the premier 'Poke and Heal' champion, I don't know how much you know about team compositions, but a P&H usually like to whittle down opponents with pokes and heal off counter harrass, then engage enemies and take them down when they're low enough. Nidalee's kit suits this playstyle perfectly. How do you deal with this?

Any bruiser in the game...

Okay, maybe not ANY bruiser... but most of them work quite well. The important thing is to not allow yourself to be whittled down by her OP harassment. So shields or just extremely high sustain are very strong against her. This prevents her from engaging you (Since you never get low enough for her to burst you down) and can deny her a lot of control in lane. Also, if she's poking from the brush... just fork out 75 g for an extra ward (Don't forget to ward the river!) and set it in the lane brush to deal with her surprise attacks.

On the other hard one thing you DON'T want to do.. however, is try to duel with her. Her AS steroid and heal make her and extremely dangerous duelist even in the early levels. This of course is countered by other, stronger duelists, such as Jax and Fiora (and these champions will give her the most trouble in lane) but she's very strong at disengaging and farming from a long distance if she needs to.

v-------------------------------------------------------------Important stuff-----------------------------------------------------------------v

Your best bet is to use a strong bruiser who can deal with both her stupid harrass and dueling. Anyone with a shield or high sustain as well as being a strong lane bully is very strong in this regard... .

Urgot is my favorite solo top champ for countering ANY difficult champion in the game, his stupidly long range poke and ability to shield and slow gives him the some of the best kiting in the game, his ridiculous damage reduction also allows him to duke it out with Nidalee and come out on top.

Cho'Gath is another of my favorite solo top champs, he has great sustain for dealing with Nidalee's harass. He can also easily mop the floor with Nidalee because of his powerful ability to turn the tides of an engagement with Rupture and Feral Scream if Nidalee decides to try and confront him about his bad eating habits. Feast is also great for finishing off Nidalees before they get away. Note that if you're not very good at Cho, some casual practice is very highly advised before you go counter-picking Nidalees. Be sure to pick your fights as Cho can't out DPS Nidalee (He's a burst caster after all), unless he's stacking AS (Not burst caster). So try to avoid her if you think she's trying to outright kill you.

Riven is great counter as well, her shield will take the edge off Nidalee's harass. Her awesome crowd control and damage is perfect for dueling with melee Nidalee. She's a faceroll-the-keyboard easy to play. So she's perfect to grab whenever you need to deal with tough melee enemies, just remember to grab flash so you don't get kited all day. Also remember, run INTO her spears with your shield to reduce damage and to get closer to her (Provided you're not trying to get away from her, alternatively, just dodge the thing, I SAID I WAS TIRED OKAY!?).

Any other strong duelist with a strong gap closer is very strong against Nidalee as they can just force her away from the lane. Just remember that champions who can't shield or heal off damage (Such as Darius) are going to get melted by her ability to kite, even flash isn't going to solve all of your problems. Make sure you can either force her to fight you to the death, or that you can avoid being whittled down.

GLHF and stuff, listen to your other tips and try stuff out, see what YOU feel comfortable with because that's whats going to get you the furthest.

P.S. A few other champs that can steam roll Nidalee, but I was too lazy to write about are Renekton, Yorick, Rumble, Diana, Xerath, Gragas and honorable mention: Malzahar (Gotta rock a special rune/mastery set; however). There are certainly more champs but other folks will pick up what I missed (Hopefully).

Shelace

11-24-2012

From experience; although it may not be the best advice I've noticed when Nidalee players who solo top turn into her cougar form she is less of a threat than her human form (with basic attacks). I usually seen a decent Riven, Irelia, Rumble take advantage of this and combo her a bit and force her to turn back into her human form to stand a chance. Its a good chance to say, "back off."

I've seen some Lee Sin players go against her top, but I'm not sure if that is an overall great idea unless you're draft picking and you feel confident about it.

Hope this helps a bit.

Duhizy

11-24-2012

First off, welcome to our little guides and strategy community, your gunna see many of the same names doing their best to help people here so throw them a thanks every now and then

If you problem is getting hit by the spears in lane then i can only ask you to position better when farming, if you see her going into a bush next to you then go in front of the minions to avoid all possible spear attempts, when the nid becomes antsy and realises shes not gunna hit you shes either going to charge at you or fall back and farm.

This is the interesting part, if she charges you in cougar form while you're behind the minions like you should be then your going to win most of the fights due to minion damage, if she only pokes you with auto attacks then you can choose not to push your lane and watch as she fails hard at trying to cs while you deny her at your tower. It would help to be a champ that provides some punishment for when she approaches like olaf axe throw or jayce's poke combo.

If the nid is ad then your gunna have a hard time, she can just poke you down and engage on you if your melee and kite you endlessly, for this you need someone with sustain and engage that can fight her like lee sin top or jayce, the reason maknoon plays ad nid so much competitively is this, shes actually very hard to counter if you ban the right stuff and play properly. It doesn't seem, however, that ad nid is you issue, praise your god.

SwiftyWillownall

11-24-2012

Thanks guys. It's nice to know that there's actually some helpful people out there. =)

Bosnianmafia

11-24-2012

Depends if ap ir ad nid

Bosnianmafia

11-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by duhizy View Post
First off, welcome to our little guides and strategy community, your gunna see many of the same names doing their best to help people here so throw them a thanks every now and then

If you problem is getting hit by the spears in lane then i can only ask you to position better when farming, if you see her going into a bush next to you then go in front of the minions to avoid all possible spear attempts, when the nid becomes antsy and realises shes not gunna hit you shes either going to charge at you or fall back and farm.

This is the interesting part, if she charges you in cougar form while you're behind the minions like you should be then your going to win most of the fights due to minion damage, if she only pokes you with auto attacks then you can choose not to push your lane and watch as she fails hard at trying to cs while you deny her at your tower. It would help to be a champ that provides some punishment for when she approaches like olaf axe throw or jayce's poke combo.

If the nid is ad then your gunna have a hard time, she can just poke you down and engage on you if your melee and kite you endlessly, for this you need someone with sustain and engage that can fight her like lee sin top or jayce, the reason maknoon plays ad nid so much competitively is this, shes actually very hard to counter if you ban the right stuff and play properly. It doesn't seem, however, that ad nid is you issue, praise your god.
Dont believe anything this guy says

Qsario

11-24-2012

Play Nidalee. Just play her. Then you'll realize just how many different things can go wrong for her, or see how things go when she has trouble keeping up with everyone else, or see the logic behind trying to land spears when those damned minions keep getting in the way.

I had a Zed just stand in the center of a cloud of minions, I couldn't out trade him. His shurkens went right through the minions and even though I dodged a ton of them, it wasn't enough, because he could turret dive with his shadow clone and his ult.

She doesn't feel as OP now, even though I hate the spears I barely fail to dodge and therefore take max damage from, but I have a better grasp of the range on it and it's easier to see when a Nidalee is moving around the minions to line up a spear shot. And I have a better idea of which gaps she can jump over as a cougar (and how much practice it takes to get those hops right, given that they go a fixed distance directly forward).

Pakarin

11-24-2012

^ AD Nidalee counters Jax in lane pretty well actually....

Anyway, the best way to beat nidalee is just to buy ninja tabis into a chain vest if shes AD, or just play dodge the javelin if shes AP(and stay out of the bush, those traps hurt).

AD nidalee play top lane is so centered around her ability to constantly poke you with auto attacks that buying a lot of early armor will make her unable to do a ton of damage to you from a distance. You still need to dodge spears though.