Beating Nidalee

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SwiftyWillownall

11-23-2012

Hey guys, first forum post, woot.

But onto the matter at hand. I am looking for some helpful hints on how to beat Nidalee. I like playing melee mostly and I've played just over 200 games now. In every match however that has had a Nidalee, she's completely dominated the game, no matter who's team she's on. I've asked around but the player base has been very unhelpful and have simply suggested things that would kill any champion. (Several CC's, team ganks, etc.) The real main problem I've had with beating her is her amazingly powerful ability to Kite. She throws spears at you as a human, then if you get near her she'll simply own you if you're low on health. If you do somehow get the upper hand, she'll simply turn cougar, run away, and repeat the process by throwing her spears at you since she has infinite pounces at no cost in her feline form. It makes it impossible to catch her, and even with cc she simply pounces or if needs to, flashes away before she dies. Suggesting that you need to multi-person gank her in order to kill her makes her seem op, but there's gotta be a better way to beat her. I've read several posts about her being "op" or "up", but none of them ever discuss her amazing ability to kite so effectively.

TL;DR What are some of the better ways to beat Nidalee besides things that work on any champion?(Several CC's, 2v1's, etc.)

Little Dead Red

11-23-2012

Nasus

SwiftyWillownall

11-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMesmorize View Post
Nasus
Yes, well. What I'm getting from this is pretty much "Anyone can Beat Nidalee if you're more skillful than the Nidalee player."

Also, just answering with a champion doesn't help as you have no way of knowing if the opposing team will actually choose Nidalee in the first place. Can I get some actual feedback here please?

t3hep1cf47m4n

11-23-2012

stop being so concerned with killing her and turn the lane into a farm lane.

don't move up unless you have a minion wave to cover you from her super spears.

buy a chain vest so her auto attack spears do like nothing to you.

SwiftyWillownall

11-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hep1cf47m4n View Post
stop being so concerned with killing her and turn the lane into a farm lane.

don't move up unless you have a minion wave to cover you from her super spears.

buy a chain vest so her auto attack spears do like nothing to you.
A problem arises here. Nidalee moves faster in brush, and your minion waves fight in the middle. Her Spear has a huge range and you take more damage the further she throws it. She can simply move in and out of the brush and peg you from the side of your minions. Walking into the brush too is a bad idea as well since she'll usually have someone else there with her. If you're not moving up to avoid her, she'll be getting more farm then you as well. it's also very hard to farm since she's a ranged attacker and can harass the heck out of you if you're melee. On the flip side, if you do manage to farm the lane, you'll be pushing it closer to their turret, where ranged fighters thrive, especially early game.

Edit: If i'm not mistaken her spear throw does mixed damage anyways. Doesn't chain shirt cost 700+ as well? A little expensive for the early game lanes.

t3hep1cf47m4n

11-23-2012

lol

10/10

troll elsewhere bro.

SwiftyWillownall

11-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hep1cf47m4n View Post
lol

10/10

troll elsewhere bro.
Lol, uhhh, wtf? Can someone who actually takes this seriously post something next? This forum is starting to look as unhelpful as the rest of the playerbase.

Astoru2306

11-24-2012

Learn to dodge spears. Those are pretty much her main source of damage when it comes to her human form. When in her cougar form, you just need to out damage her and have sustain to keep yourself alive.

Aeternum

11-24-2012

Her Q (her spear throw) looks more intimidating than it really is. The damage is kinda negligible if it hits you from point-blank (at rank 5 it would cost her 90 mana to deal 230 damage; she'd be better off auto-attacking you). More on this in a minute.

Some Nidalees (I'm one of 'em, but I play support Nid for the most part) will hold their spells until you've stepped in one of their traps. Once you've done that, your armor and magic resist drop pretty sharply (between 20 and 40%), which will hurt you a hell of a lot more.

The fact that she can heal is annoying . . . but what's more annoying is that she gets a massive boost to her attack speed. If you're trading autoattacks with her, and she takes a second to heal, you're going to have a bad time. Especially because as you run, she's going to wedge a spear somewhere uncomfortable.

Back to that spear. It travels relatively slowly. When she's far away, keep an eye out for her spear toss. (And, I know it's not all that helpful, but yeah . . . you've got to dodge the spears.) When you're face-to-face with her, the damage from her spear is annoying, but mostly because it doesn't deal physical damage, so your chain vest isn't going to prevent most of the damage.

Yes, I said chain vest. Against a Nidalee, always start boots (and relevant pots). At low levels, her spear is painful . . . and boots will help you dodge it. One of your next early buys has to be a chain vest . . . or at least cloth armor. The reason for that is Nidalee's Q in cougar form, because it does more damage based on how low your health is. It's the only spell in her kit that deals physical damage, and it huuuuuuuurts. (As support Nidalee, I've gotten kills just hunting people who though that 1/4 health was enough to survive my Q in cougar form.)

TL;DR ~ My advice for dealing with her offense is to start Boots+3, then get defenses against her damage. Most likely, a Nidalee top is going to go AD, but if she starts to build AP, and she's hitting you reliably with her spear throw, You're going to want magic resist.

Now, on to her defenses; One of the above posters already said 'Nasus', but the reason that he does well against her is the ability to wither her. She can pounce all she wants, but after her pounce, she's still slowed . . . and getting slower. It can really help to close the gap.

But, in the end, Nidalee is just a really, really, really mobile champion. Pounce will just about always get her away from danger . . . so, when she disengages . . . I guess my advice would be to let her go? I haven't played against a Nidalee in a long time, and I haven't died to a pursuing enemy in even longer as Nid. o.0

Not sure how helpful that was . . . but if you're really, really desperate, add me in game and we can skirmish and experiment.

Sagee Prime

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-24-2012

Learn Jax or Irelia. Both have gap closers, CC, and powerful steroids that Nidalee cannot deal with and they scale significantly better than her late game.