Sona, Leona, or wait for Nami?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

themaddscientist

11-23-2012

I've been working up to 6300 IP for a while now with no clear goal as to who to get next. I've been maining support and am looking for another option to add to my roster beyond who I already have. I have no experience with Sona, but I like champions who can harass really well, so there is an option. I have some experience with Leona, but it's been really hit-or-miss with my success rate. I also have Nami around the corner and she could be a really nice pick given what little time I've had with her on the PBE.

Which should I get next? Thanks for any suggestions!

CrusaderAntonius

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-23-2012

I've had a lot of success with Leona. I usually end up force feeding my carry several kills during laning, then doing boss work in team fights.

It depends on your mentality and play style, I guess. I usually play bruisers, so I'm more comfortable with a bruiser-style support than someone like Sona or Soraka.

Eletale

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-23-2012

With Sona you've pretty much all you'll need as support (minus high durability). You'll be playing a game of positioning, looking for the perfect place to deal your high damage at the maximum possible range in order to avoid getting killed in a retaliation. She also adapts to pretty much all ADC, which is excelent for solo queue. She's a pretty fun champion, who'll keep you very active looking for the chance to harass like a boss. Also, ultimate.

About Nami, I can't really recommend her until she's tested on live.

Nuker X

11-23-2012

Exactly what crusader said. It really depends on play style. I haven't tried Nami but Sona and Leona play very differently. Leona is for the more aggressive, but you have to have an equally aggressive (and on the ball) ADC or your initiation will result in you feeding. Sona has good poke but you have to learn to play real defensive at the start because she is much more squishy. She can have great harass but also get pushed back more easily pre-lvl 6.

If you have no experience with Sona you may want to wait until she is free to try her out. IMHO it takes a certain tolerance and play style to enjoy her.

Strill

11-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuker X View Post
Exactly what crusader said. It really depends on play style. I haven't tried Nami but Sona and Leona play very differently. Leona is for the more aggressive, but you have to have an equally aggressive (and on the ball) ADC or your initiation will result in you feeding. Sona has good poke but you have to learn to play real defensive at the start because she is much more squishy. She can have great harass but also get pushed back more easily pre-lvl 6.

If you have no experience with Sona you may want to wait until she is free to try her out. IMHO it takes a certain tolerance and play style to enjoy her.
I can definitely second this. Leona with a passive or defensive carry is useless. She has pretty much no harass without her carry to back her up when she goes in, but if you're both paying attention she's devastating since her base damage is on-par with that of an AP mage. It's very all or nothing and reliant on you both pulling out enough burst damage to either kill them outright or force them to retreat. I sometimes pick teleport in Normals so I can at least help counter ganks in mid or top in case my carry is too passive.

Qsario

11-24-2012

I've tried Leona, but I ended up suiciding most of the time. My carry got kills, but I could never get back out alive. What do you look for when choosing when to do your zenith blade combo?

Strill

11-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsario View Post
I've tried Leona, but I ended up suiciding most of the time. My carry got kills, but I could never get back out alive. What do you look for when choosing when to do your zenith blade combo?
I really just pick someone who's close enough for my carry to engage immediately, and who is squishy enough for us to take a good chunk out of. As long as your carry can back you up right away, you'll usually make them retreat before you need to. I usually go for the enemy carry, but if their support is being especially ballsy, overextended, and out of range of their carry, I might jump on them instead. For example, supports will sometimes hide in the far end of their brush even though their carry and the minion wave have been pushed back. That would be a perfect time to jump the support. By level 3, if you manage to land your combo plus exhaust on the enemy carry, and your carry can get in range immediately, it's almost certainly a guaranteed kill. If I expect that the enemy carry is low enough and I'm at risk of death I usually run towards brush.

You might consider taking the Tough Skin mastery. It often makes a big difference.