Best build for AD malz?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

brownbruiser

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-24-2012

buy all the blue items

Sazdek

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-24-2012

I'd shamelessly self plug my guide here but the DD site is derping out for me.

Runes
AD per level OR Arpen Reds (per level AD will overcome flat AD by level 9-13 ish but Arpen is always relevant through the game)
Armor OR HP per level yellows (as a bot laner your job is to not die, you want more sustainability)
MR Per Level blues (same as yellows)
Movespeed OR Arpen Quints (movespeed help since Malz lacks escape and the innate advantage movespeed gives you in dom)

9/21 masteries, grabbing cdr in both trees.

Starting items are tear+boots. Start charging as fast as you can with Q+W. by the time the ramps open you should be at 791 or 795 mana. Stay back and spam spells to clear and push minion waves. make sure you watch for ganks if your team takes windmill first and are holding.

I usually finish manamune first and follow up with tank boots (mercs or ninja tabi). If i'm holding my own or doing very well i'll go to brutalizer. If i feel i'm being pushed out too easily or taking a lot of harass i'll grab chain vest/negatron then get brutalizer. Glacial should be next for the CDR unless you're against a heavy AP bot in which case go for an Odyn's Veil/maw of malmortius.

My typical 6 item build looks like this

Tank boots+Manamune+Youmuu's Ghostblade+LW+FH+Odyns/Maw

I don't go with frozen mallet like most other ad malz as the AD contribution of mallet is pretty minimal and requires you to move in to AA instead of sitting in your safe casting range. While you may not be able to secure as many kills this way, AD malz is about pushing relentlessly and nonstop while being super tanky in case of engages and doing surprising amounts of damage.

Sazdek

11-24-2012

ALSO! Never build lifesteal, you don't AA enough to make it useful
Never build attack speed, same reason.

AD Malz works because the 1:1 AD and Arpen ratio of voidlings. They don't scale with anything else so building anything other than tank/ad/arpen is a waste.

BFT is an exception to this and can replace the brutalizer/ghostblade if you want to be all sorts of OP =P

FeanorAlmighty

11-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazdek View Post
BFT is an exception to this and can replace the brutalizer/ghostblade if you want to be all sorts of OP =P
Lol'd at (correct) quote

Phourc

11-25-2012

I used to pretty much always build him

Tear
Ionians
Manamune
Glacial -> FH
Null Magic - > FoN
Last Whisper

and for last item, Mallet for permaslow (to stop the enemy from escaping your pets), MoM for extra MR or another armor item, probably Randuins. Gunblade is also possible, the lifesteal is kind of a waste but the slow active and bit of sustain off of your spells isn't bad at all.

I don't like building Bruta just because it's not very slot efficient - ghostblade's pretty meh on Malz - the active is really only good for running, which FoN currently lets you do pretty well. It's possible the s3 patch will make Bruta -> Cleaver worth it, but again it's not like you do that much autoattacking, so the passive is quite possible wasted.

When FoN gets removed, I'll probably replace it with mercurial, that thing looks stupid good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox P McCloud View Post
When the new items roll around, I suspect Frozen Gauntlet will be preferred over Frozen Heart (as it indirectly amplifies the damage of his pets by a huge amount), and Black Cleaver will be preferred to Last Whisper (since both pets can proc it).
How does that work?

Minions don't apply on-hit effects, though Icepuncher may be a good way to get the slow without having to build an entire frozen mallet (though really, massive chunks of HP are rarely NOT worth it just in terms of raw survival).

Tortferngatr

11-25-2012

Black Cleaver procs on ANY physical damage your champion inflicts now.

This includes Voidling autoattacks.

Phourc

11-25-2012

^ does it? If so yorick's about to get one HELL of a buff. I'll test it out next time I'm on the PBE, haha.

Sazdek

11-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortferngatr View Post
Black Cleaver procs on ANY physical damage your champion inflicts now.

This includes Voidling autoattacks.
i also want to know about this

Phourc

11-26-2012

Tested and confirmed, Malz voidlings and Yorick ghouls apply the Cleaver stacks.

So, with S3 item patch Malz will be losing a core item (FoN) but gaining a few nice options:
- Cleaver
- Mercurial
- Icepuncher

While cleaver won't beat LW in terms of penetration, it *will* stack, which should be pretty horrifying.

Also, Bashees is getting a pretty decent buff (cooldown dropping from 45 to 25 assuming you don't get hit) so it may be a viable mresist option again

Sazdek

11-26-2012

Supposing Banshee's becomes available in dom =P