MIA's

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Flagrock

11-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD Bottom View Post
There is a downside to MIAs: It takes your focus off the game and on to typing. You go to type MIA, and suddenly you're ganked by two and you're not focusing so you sit there for a second.

Sure, MIAs are nice. But wards and glancing at your map every time you get a last hit or your opponent gets a last hit is better. You'll be able to see when your jungler needs help. You'll be able to see when top lane shifts mid, or mid lane shifts bottom. Obviously not every low Elo player is as good as a pro, but that doesn't mean low Elo players should be thrown crutches. They should learn to play like every good player does. I used to ***** about not getting MIAs when I was at like 200 wins. Then I realized that's stupid, and learned to be aware of what's going on on my map instead. My play has drastically improved.
So, helping noobs learn and throwing them a crutch to help them start to get better is bad? Have you read the Summoner's Code recently AD Bottom? You seem to be breaking some of the rules here. Also, yeah MIAs take a bit of time (.5 seconds to type OH NO :O ) But, if you are getting ganked, then someone probably didn't warn you that their person was gone, or your lane truly wasn't mia so you miss called and that's STILL your fault. So, all your examples are failing to call mias, or saying that everyone should be as good as pros and learn to play like them. If everyone should not have a crutch to help them start then level 1s should face lvl 30s with full runes and masteries. Yeah, and when Riot lost every single new person to LoL they'd rethink that. So, really MIAs aren't bad you are just trying to argue something that the majority of the community has set up. Should 95% of the people bend to the 5% people? Uh, no Democracy is a great system.

KnightxSScarlett

11-25-2012

When I learned how to swim, my father pushed me into the deep end and said, "Figure it out".

adc

11-25-2012

Quote:
Now to the people complaining. AD Bottom, going to have to call you out because A) you are using nasty and offensive language breaking the Summoner's Code, and B) because I disagree with your stance. First off, you say high elo players don't need the mia calls, but realize this the high level players are the top 10% of the LoL community which is a small amount. Second, for most people (they aren't +1800 ELO) they will never play at this competitive level and this is a casual game for fun. Third, by calling mias you set the ground work for further communications with your team which will help with teamwork later in the game. Fourth, I do agree that MIAs are not essential, but I do believe using pings to warn people who are going to be ganked is a much better method. I have been saved countless times because I'll be in the middle of an engagement and I'll see a rapid amount of yellow pings drawing my attention to the jungler coming in. This allows me to escape and not die, which I might have missed because my main focus was on playing my champ correctly to win the fight. I will have noticed the gank out of the corner of my eye, but since my attention is not on that it will slip through and I won't process that as a problem. All in all, MIAs and pings help your team win. So, why would you not want to use tools to help your team win? Are you trying to make your team lose is my question to the people complaining and whining about MIAs.
Just because high level players are the minority doesn't mean lower level players can't try to play like them, including map awareness.

Also, oh no, I'm saying bad words! **** **** piss ****. Whatever will we do? It's not like this is the internet where a swear word is commonplace.

Rydor

11-25-2012

i think people depend way too much on the mia ers lane to call mias then too just look at the map once and a while, really its not that hard

Joe Krake

11-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydor View Post
i think people depend way too much on the mia ers lane to call mias then too just look at the map once and a while, really its not that hard

if people depend on it, yes it can be annoying. They should at least have some game awareness. But giving a friendly heads up on a guy missing can only benefit the team.

HyndeSyte2020

11-25-2012

calling MIA's/SS is your job... you own your lane. Expecting each player to be 100% aware of what's happening in every lane at all times is ridiculous. Most players will watch the map and see what's going on, but if they are engaging in their lane or getting harassed, it is harder for them to see that mid left the instant they leave. You calling MIA gives them the opportunity to acknowledge and adjust. By your logic, why do they even have pings if everyone should be aware at all times of where all of the other 8-9 players are? Also, chat is a visually changing object. A new chat line is very noticeable. A purple dot disappearing is not that noticeable unless you are in a position to be watching the minimap more than your lane. As a support I tend to watch the minimap a lot. I call the mia's for other lanes and ping when necessary, but it is still that lanes job to help the team and call their Mia's/ward.

Kalasen

11-26-2012

It's because enemy champions being momentarily out of vision is a thing that happens all the time. They may be ducked in a bush, they may be playing it safe more back toward their tower. You wouldn't know how long someone's been out of vision just by glancing at the map, only the person laning against them knows that. MIA is more useful because it means that in that laner's opinion, the enemy likely has ^not^ just ducked into side brush and is not back at their tower waiting for the next minion wave clash. It's a lot better than freaking out because you glanced at the map and don't see the twitch who has just stealthed to avoid your ally bot laner.

That said, do check the map whenever you're about to push up or do something risky and keep glancing back at it - you can see for yourself if that mid laner has disappeared for more than five seconds.