MIA's

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rutherfordium

Senior Member

11-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD Bottom View Post
I love how everyone is thinking MIAs are essential. Yes, MIAs are nice. But let me give you a little tip:

The other people in your game are all focusing on their lanes just as much as you are on yours. They're focusing on CSing, when to push, whether the enemy jungle is ganking them, whether the other lanes are ganking them, using their spells, farming the jungle, where their jungler is, etc. etc.

Why should they have to take the time out of their lane to stop and type MIA? They're looking at their map and keeping track of your lanes - you should be doing the same for the other lanes. There's a reason nobody at a high level of play calls MIAs. They generally have a far higher level of map awareness. It's the same reason that they win games. The enemy jungle invades? BAM. The mid lane is there within seconds to help, if there's vision. They work as a team and don't need to be told when a lane is missing. They keep a general idea of where everyone in the game is at the current time.

When I play, I rarely read the chat if I'm laning. If I'm walking somewhere or we're grouped, sure. But I respond to pings and the position of heroes on the map more than I do to "mia top". Because I know when top lane is coming to gank me mid lane - I have a ward up, top lane has a ward up, I can easily see when he leaves and when he comes mid.

Tl;dr: Watch your ****ing map, dip****.

Because every low elo player is as good as a pro. MIAs will do nothing but raise map awareness. If you don't like it, then just look at the minimap yourself. Also, I don't understand how a jungle invading is much like calling an MIA. MIAs are a courtesy more than anything, and it only increases communication, increases map awareness, and lets the other lanes know what's going on. There is literally NO downside to MIAs.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Joe Krake

Senior Member

11-24-2012

your responsable for your lane. Calling MIA is something to let others know tto watch out and is one less thing for them to worry about and distract them for what they're doing.

Like someone said before. it's easier to notice a new chat pop up then it is to look at the map and guess if they're going back to town or going down either lane.

the people saying "hur dur look at the map" I can guarantee you they aren't team players.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

adc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Master Recruiter

11-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Krake View Post
your responsable for your lane. Calling MIA is something to let others know tto watch out and is one less thing for them to worry about and distract them for what they're doing.

Like someone said before. it's easier to notice a new chat pop up then it is to look at the map and guess if they're going back to town or going down either lane.

the people saying "hur dur look at the map" I can guarantee you they aren't team players.
Go watch any high level stream. I guarantee you there will be less than 5 MIAs every game.

Quote:
Because every low elo player is as good as a pro. MIAs will do nothing but raise map awareness. If you don't like it, then just look at the minimap yourself. Also, I don't understand how a jungle invading is much like calling an MIA. MIAs are a courtesy more than anything, and it only increases communication, increases map awareness, and lets the other lanes know what's going on. There is literally NO downside to MIAs.
There is a downside to MIAs: It takes your focus off the game and on to typing. You go to type MIA, and suddenly you're ganked by two and you're not focusing so you sit there for a second.

Sure, MIAs are nice. But wards and glancing at your map every time you get a last hit or your opponent gets a last hit is better. You'll be able to see when your jungler needs help. You'll be able to see when top lane shifts mid, or mid lane shifts bottom. Obviously not every low Elo player is as good as a pro, but that doesn't mean low Elo players should be thrown crutches. They should learn to play like every good player does. I used to ***** about not getting MIAs when I was at like 200 wins. Then I realized that's stupid, and learned to be aware of what's going on on my map instead. My play has drastically improved.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pyrodruid

Senior Member

11-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD Bottom View Post
Go watch any high level stream. I guarantee you there will be less than 5 MIAs every game.

There is a downside to MIAs: It takes your focus off the game and on to typing. You go to type MIA, and suddenly you're ganked by two and you're not focusing so you sit there for a second.

...
While you can grantee that there are <5 mia's a game, can you do the same about if they are using voice chat or not? Also it mean that they are still calling them, even if it's not constant.

I don't think anyone is saying not to use the map, just that MIA provide additional help and awareness which is always good.

As I think i mentioned before, if you need to call MIA, then someone has left the lane and you have less pressure on you. If you still have so much pressure that you don't have a chance to call MIA, then I disagree with anyone who yells at you for not doing it. And if your map awareness is so high that you're insisting that MIA not be called, you should have enough awareness to know when it's safe to spare the second to call MIA, so you slightly counterpointed yourself there. Maybe if someone else had called MIA for you you'd have been prepared for the two coming to gank.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PrfsrChaos

Senior Member

11-25-2012

Hmm...

maybe instead if people just PING the map...

Less time/focus splitting than typing "mia bot" MIA's you just do a couple clicks..
The sound catches the super map-focused player's attention better.
AND the "mia" demanders are still getting notification...

Solution o.O ???


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mageinta Warrior

Senior Member

11-25-2012

As someone who /ignores all in every ranked game, pings are all I ever see.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Joe Krake

Senior Member

11-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD Bottom View Post
Go watch any high level stream. I guarantee you there will be less than 5 MIAs every game.



.

Good chance if he's with team amtes they're using something like skype. They're still talking to eachother. And also you're talking about High level. These guys have been playing for a good while and know the game inside out. Not everybody can play at a high level game non-stop.

Just be a man/team player and call MIA. It takes very little effort.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Reathien

Senior Member

11-25-2012

Look at the mini map. If there are less than 4 red circles, someone is MIA. Don't be a scrub that relies on their teammates then blames them for their death.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

adc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Master Recruiter

11-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Krake View Post
Good chance if he's with team amtes they're using something like skype. They're still talking to eachother. And also you're talking about High level. These guys have been playing for a good while and know the game inside out. Not everybody can play at a high level game non-stop.

Just be a man/team player and call MIA. It takes very little effort.
Uhh... Most of the high level streamers are streaming yolo queue, and maybe duo with another high level streamer. And saying "Oh, they're good players, they can do that" doesn't excuse you from blaming me for not being able to look at your map.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Flagrock

Senior Member

11-25-2012

The biggest reason WHY TO CALL MIAS is because how can the other lanes know if they're sitting in a bush or truly gone. I watch the map as much as I can, but I don't know if Blitz is sitting in the bottom bush waiting for a pull or going mid. I saw he was in lane 2 seconds ago, but I don't know if he's moved or not because I have to watch to cs, poke, and try to call my own lanes. Mias confirm to the TEAM if a person left your lane. I trust my team to call them because if I'm going in for a dive and I see mid just disappeared for a second, if I see the mia I know I should back out, where the mid might be at their turret and not even going to my lane so the dive WOULD be successful and I could get the gold without dying.

Also, I will use a much shorter version of mias if I don't have the time to type which is SS (Stay Safe) and that I find works just as well. Also, pings get peoples attention much better than chat so I also throw those out sometimes. But all in all, using chat to call people leaving lane is the BASIS of communication that sets everyone up for a fun game of good teamworks.

Now to the people complaining. AD Bottom, going to have to call you out because A) you are using nasty and offensive language breaking the Summoner's Code, and B) because I disagree with your stance. First off, you say high elo players don't need the mia calls, but realize this the high level players are the top 10% of the LoL community which is a small amount. Second, for most people (they aren't +1800 ELO) they will never play at this competitive level and this is a casual game for fun. Third, by calling mias you set the ground work for further communications with your team which will help with teamwork later in the game. Fourth, I do agree that MIAs are not essential, but I do believe using pings to warn people who are going to be ganked is a much better method. I have been saved countless times because I'll be in the middle of an engagement and I'll see a rapid amount of yellow pings drawing my attention to the jungler coming in. This allows me to escape and not die, which I might have missed because my main focus was on playing my champ correctly to win the fight. I will have noticed the gank out of the corner of my eye, but since my attention is not on that it will slip through and I won't process that as a problem. All in all, MIAs and pings help your team win. So, why would you not want to use tools to help your team win? Are you trying to make your team lose is my question to the people complaining and whining about MIAs.