MIA's

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nyasara

11-24-2012

The map is also less informative than someone calling MIA. For instance, if Blitzcrank is hiding in the bottom brush waiting for a grab, your bottom lane should know that. If mid just looks at the minimap, they'll think he might be MIA, and back up unnecessarily. There, a specific example of it not being about looking left or right.

That being said, quit yelling at people so hard for not calling MIA. Everyone misses one sometimes. You know they recalled or died, but took a while to realize they were late coming back. They had been hiding in the brush all game, but this time they were recalling or teleporting. It happens.

ByePas

11-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by codie View Post
If the case was about typing MIA being hard then, why is it harder to look right of your screen than it is to look left?
It's not that it's harder to look right than left, it's more that we filter out what happens on the minimap unless we feel the need to keep an eye on it.

If there is movement out of the corner of my eye my attention is naturally drawn to it. However if there is constant movement in that area, for example the minimap where the champions are always moving I tend to filter that movement out unless I feel like I could be ganked. However when someone calls mia that will catch my attention since the new message was unexpected.

KnightxSScarlett

11-24-2012

Grow some map awareness. I never call mia and my team always hates me for it. But they're becoming better players by being forced to look at the map to see when they're about to be ganked.

localcelebrity

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-24-2012

Sometimes when I am at the base and I am buying items, my opponent leaves the lane and I do not notice for I am focusing on my purchase. Do people actually expect me to keep track of my opponent every second of the game, for they sure complain about it. And its not like I dont do it when I am in the lane.

The Young Wolf

11-24-2012

because on the minimap the character icons are constantly moving around and disappearing and reappearing. Whereas you would have to keep your eye on 4 seperate moving icons on the minimap, the chat offers a simpler alternative. In addition, the MIA system lets each lane discern whether their opponent has recalled or actually gone MIA to gank, which you really can't do by looking on the minimap.

Overall, its literally not that much work to just type MIA. And it might actually help your teammate sometime, so why not do it? It's just good communication and good form to shout em out, even if its a bit ridiculous.

Effram

11-24-2012

You can't be watching lanes constantly while trying to last hit and poke. Calling MIAs lets you're team know that an enemy just left the lane and to play safe while letting you focus your attention on your own lane. That and calling MIA when the a champ leaves lane is immediate and gives everyone more time to react. It's a team game; people should call MIAs, and at the same time not flip **** because someone forgot to call MIA.

BlackDahlia

11-24-2012

Was starting to think I was the only one that noticed something pop up more then something that is constantly moving.

KnightxSScarlett

11-24-2012

If you have time to look at chat, you have time to look at the map.

Pyrodruid

11-24-2012

The map moves constantly, the chat moves when updated. If you can't see why that advantageous you need to think long and hard about it.

Even if you still can't see the advantage, there are a lot of us who can, so if you're lane is MIA, call it, it's not like they're there putting so much pressure on you that you can't spent 2 seconds to type.

Other than map vs. chat argument, everyone who's been against MIA seems to say learn map awareness. Calling MIA increases map awareness, so shouldn't you be for it?

So what points against MIA still stand?

adc

11-24-2012

I love how everyone is thinking MIAs are essential. Yes, MIAs are nice. But let me give you a little tip:

The other people in your game are all focusing on their lanes just as much as you are on yours. They're focusing on CSing, when to push, whether the enemy jungle is ganking them, whether the other lanes are ganking them, using their spells, farming the jungle, where their jungler is, etc. etc.

Why should they have to take the time out of their lane to stop and type MIA? They're looking at their map and keeping track of your lanes - you should be doing the same for the other lanes. There's a reason nobody at a high level of play calls MIAs. They generally have a far higher level of map awareness. It's the same reason that they win games. The enemy jungle invades? BAM. The mid lane is there within seconds to help, if there's vision. They work as a team and don't need to be told when a lane is missing. They keep a general idea of where everyone in the game is at the current time.

When I play, I rarely read the chat if I'm laning. If I'm walking somewhere or we're grouped, sure. But I respond to pings and the position of heroes on the map more than I do to "mia top". Because I know when top lane is coming to gank me mid lane - I have a ward up, top lane has a ward up, I can easily see when he leaves and when he comes mid.

Tl;dr: Watch your ****ing map, dip****.