Would you like to see this champion in the League?

YES RITO TAKE MY MONEY THIS CHAMPION IS THE BEST 4 40.00%
Yes, but it needs some work. 4 40.00%
Meh, I wouldn't care if he was made or not. 1 10.00%
NO! THIS IS THE WORST IDEA I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE! 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Vallus, The Herald of the Dead

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Scilot

07-30-2014

My friend Sinerik and I made this champion in about 3 hours and think it's pretty balanced. This guy comes from the Shadow Isles and fights with a really large bell that wakes the dead when it rings. He is a hybrid fighter with low sustain, but good damage and wave clear. His kit allows him to play both Top and Jungle and either be split pushing or initiating team fights. He makes good use of items that are not used as often as others such as Zeke's Herald and the Distortion Enchantment on boots. Although he is tanky later on in the game, early game he is prone to poke and is countered by mobility. Vallus's lore puts a lot more clarity into the lore of the shadow isles. You can see many connections after reading his lore if you go to the League wiki here: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow_Isles
His name originated from the Latin word Bellum which means war, we then made the name Vellum, and then just changed 2 more letters.

Lore:

The Shadow Isles were not always a land of the undead. Thousands of years ago, people tried to settle there and for many years the Isles were a normal place where families lived and children played. One of the children who lived there was named Vallus, and unlike the other children, he stayed away from people. He spent his time reading ancient myths about his homeland. Some would say he grew too attached to those myths, and as he grew older, he set off on adventures to try to find some of the ones he had read about.
After years of finding nothing, he returned to his home town to find that nearly nothing had changed, but there was somebody new who caught his eye. One day, he decided to talk to her while in the town tavern, only to find that she was interested in mythology as much as he was. She told him about an ancient god that slept, deep underground, in a cave near the town and claimed the god was capable of rewarding people with eternal youth. "I would really want to awaken the god, but the only way to awaken it is by ringing a magical bell while at the mouth of the cave." she told Vallus "The bell is hidden somewhere on the islands and I know I can't search for it alone." Vallus agreed to help her and the next morning, he set off to find the bell while she set off to find the cave.
For a few months, he wandered around the Isles, ringing every bell he could find to see if there was anything special about it, until he stumbled upon a cemetery. He wandered through the cemetery, and found a large bell being held up by a stand of rotting wood and a large stone. Just as he was about to ring it, a voice yelled at him to stop. Vallus turned around and saw an old man standing there with a shovel. The man claimed the bell was magical and told Vallus to back away before something bad happened. Vallus asked who the man was and why he thought something bad would happen. The man simply said "I am Egeon Mori!" and ran at him, trying to attack him with his shovel. Vallus barely dodged this attack and fell over against the large stone that was supporting the bell. He was unable to get up before the man took another swing, so he reached up and grabbed a piece of the wood. He pulled the wood off and smacked Egeon in the head with it. The bell crashed to the ground and rang. Spirits sprung up from the ground. The old man may have been fast, but he was still fragile the light blow to the head had knocked him over he managed to say "I told you not to ring the bell." before passing out. Vallus grabbed the bell and dragged it off as fast as he could. He looked back at Egeon, and saw his body getting torn apart by the spirits that came from the ground. The fear of that happening to himself made Vallus able to run just a little faster.
Vallus arrived at the town and saw the woman standing in front of the tavern where they first met. A short conversation was followed by them leaving the town and arriving at the cave where the god was supposedly resting. The land around the cave seemed ominous and the rocks deep within the cave gave off a faint glow, showing that this place had some sort of power. They rung the bell and waited. They rung it again and waited even longer. Then a faint song could be heard from the cave. As it played, the glow from within the cave had spread to the area where the two were standing. It got louder and louder until an enormous spider burst from the cave and the music stopped. The god's mouth wasn't moving, but the two adventurers could hear a hissing voice inside their heads that they knew belonged to him. "Come into the cave." The two reluctantly followed him until he stopped in front of a small pond, "Which one of you awoke me?" he asked. Since Vallus was the one to ring the bell, he admitted to waking him. "Then she shall be your sacrifice, now girl... drink from the pond."
Vallus told the spider that he didn't know that there would need to be a sacrifice, plus he felt guilty about what happened to Egeon Mori, and did not want anybody else to die from his actions. Vallus offered to sacrifice his own life so the girl can have eternal youth and the spider agreed to this deal. Vallus reluctantly cupped his hands and dipped them into the pond. The liquid burned his hands as he lifted them, he then drank all of what was in his hands.
"Then I heard the song; the spider's song. My companion cried out in terror and fell to his knees. I embraced him. I told him he had nothing to fear. He was going to a better place. I will take them all to a better place." -Elise

Stats:
Health: 425 (+90)
HealthRegen: 4.8 (+0.8)
Resourse: Sound
Range: 150
Attack Damage: 55 (+3.5)
Attack Speed: 0.625 (+2.5%)
Armor: 15 (+5)
Magic Resist: 30 (+1.25)
Mov. Speed: 350
Abilities:
Passive: Symphony of the Forgotten
Vallus builds up 5 sound on every basic attack and abilities also build Sound. Once Vallus reaches 300 sound, his next ability used that hits an enemy will awaken a demon to fight with him. The demon will summon at the location that the ability hits an enemy. Demons can be controlled by holding the [ALT] key. The Demon's Stats are as follows:
Health: 50% of Vallus's Max Health
Armor and Magic Resist: 35% of Vallus's Armor and Magic Resist
Damage on Basic Attacks 5/20/40/65 (+35% of Vallus's AP and Total AD combined) as Physical Damage. (Ranks up at levels 1/6/10/15
Attack Speed: 65% of Vallus's Attack Speed
Attack Range: 110
Demon lasts 15 seconds and gives 10 gold if killed by an enemy champion. There is no maximum to the number of demons he can summon at one time because of the time it takes to get enough Sound to summon one.
Q: The Fallen's Cries:
Range: 975
Cooldown: 14/13/12/11/10 seconds
Sound Built: 20 sound
Vallus's bell sends out a shockwave in a skillshot, dealing 65/100/135/170/205 (+65% AP) (+20% Bonus AD) Magic Damage and stunning the enemy hit for .5/.75/1/1.25/1.5 seconds.
W: Toll of Despair:
Range: Basic Attack
Cooldown: 8/7.5/7/6.5/6 Seconds (Goes on cooldown after the basic attack)
Sound Built: 50 sound (If the basic attack hits)
Vallus's gains a 55% Movement Speed increase for 2 seconds and his next basic attack within 5 seconds deals 100/120/140/160/180 (+20% AP) (+45% Bonus AD) Physical Damage.
E: Soul Resonance:
Range: 400
Cooldown: Toggle
Sound Built: None
Toggle on: Vallus's basic attacks echo, dealing 5/20/35/50/65 (+45% Bonus AD) as Physical Damage within 200 range and 5/15/25/35/45 (+25% Total AD) as Physical Damage in the outer 200 range. While this is toggled on, Vallus does not gain sound from basic attacks. Vallus cannot summon a Demon with this ability and this does not apply on-hit effects, however if Vallus uses his W while this is toggled on, this will gain 100 more range for that attack only.
Toggle off: Vallus gains 10 sound from basic attacks instead of 5.
R: Perish Song:
Range: 750
Cooldown: 120/105/90 seconds (Goes on cooldown once the last shockwave is over)
Sound Built: Automatically Maxes sound
Vallus slams the ground with his bell, sending out a shockwave that knocks up enemies in a ring around him and deals 100/200/300 (+25% AD) (+60% AP) Magic Damage. 2 more shockwaves from the bell come .75 seconds apart. The 2nd and 3rd shockwave deal half of the damage of the first. The second of the 3 shockwaves slows by 30% for 1.5 seconds. Vallus cannot move while casting.

Gameplay:
Vallus is a very diverse top laner/ jungler who excels at both split pushing and team fights, however he is not very mobile and does not have much sustain, making champions like Nidalee, Zed, and Lee Sin counters to him and champions like Thresh and Lulu as good teammates. On him, it is best to run Flash and Teleport, so you can split push, then teleport in for a teamfight. And those two summoner spells are why he should buy the Distortion Enchantment on boots. Also Zeke's Herald works well on him because he needs the lifesteal, health, and CDR. His Demons are affected by the aura as well, giving them a small amount of extra damage and lifesteal. Since he relies on his teammates to kill during his ultimate, the aura also helps them. Another good item on Vallus is Ravenous Hydra. The lifesteal with that, plus the passive helps with both massive AOE damage in team fights and great wave clear for split pushing.
In the Top Lane/ Split Pushing:
Vallus is great at trading with other champions, especially when his sound is maxed or almost maxed, because he can easily engage and disengage. All Vallus needs to do, is land his Q, then his Demon will deal damage while he gets close, he can then use his W and basic attack once to deal damage and then use the movement speed boost to run. If he wishes to push with his E, then he can easily wave clear, and his demons can tank turrets while dealing damage to them. His W can also apply on turrets, allowing him to take them down even faster while split pushing. If an enemy decides to gank you, you can just run with your movement speed boost and stun if you need to.
In The Jungle/ Teamfights:
Being in the Jungle is great for Vallus because his early defenses are low and this helps him because he doesn't have to face an enemy champion. In the jungle, his E helps with clearing and his Demon can tank the attacks from the jungle monsters. His pre-6 ganks are decent because of the stun and slight movement increase. At the least, he will make them back off so your laner can get a few CS without having to deal with the enemy laner. A good gank pre-6 should get you to deal damage to them and possibly get them to blow their Flash. After 6, Vallus can gank very well. He uses his stun and movement speed boost to get close, then he Ults and knocks them into the air and slows. During this time, he can't move though so he has to rely on the laners to pick up the kill. The same strategy goes for team fights, but unless he has a Thresh on his team, he may have to Flash to get into their team so he can R and having a Lulu can make them get knocked up a second time. It is also possible to get multiple Demons summoned by using his R, all he has to do, is have full sound and hit an enemy with either his Q or W, then ult and hit an enemy with the other. The Demons attack different targets but if you use the [ALT] key to move them, they will attack the same target. This is good for focusing their ADC or another threat in team fights.
Recommended Items:
Starting Items: Doran's Shield, 1 Health Potion, Warding Totem.
Core Items: Zeke's Herald, Boots of Lucidity- Distortion, Randuin's Omen.
Offensive Items: Ravenous Hydra, Nashor's Tooth.
Defensive Items: Banshee's Veil, Sunfire Cape, Thornmail.
**If he were to go Jungle, he would start Machete and 4 pots and Totem, and build Wriggle's Lantern since he will be farming a lot and he needs the sustain, plus the attack speed helps him a lot.

Appearance:
I have made some very quick concept art, it's unfinished but I am making a poll to choose which bell you guys prefer. The 2 bells are in the picture. (I prefer the 2nd but Sinerik likes the 1st)

Speech:
Upon Selection:
*Bell rings in a high tone twice* Greetings summoner, who will be joining the spirits today?
Movement Phrases:
Phrase 1: The Souls... They Scream
Phrase 2: The Shadow Isles beckon.
Phrase 3: The grave beckons.
Phrase 4: Follow the ring and slip into darkness.
Basic Attack Sounds:
When E is off and Sound is not full: A hollow, low pitched ding.
When E is on and Sound is not full: A hollow, low pitched ding that echoes slightly.
When E is off and Sound is full: A muffled, higher pitched ding.
When E is on and Sound is full: A muffled, higher pitched ding that echoes slightly.
Taunts:
Phrase 1: What do you have to lose? Embrace your death and follow the toll.
Phrase 2: I will not take a gold coin, but I shall take your life.
Special Taunts:
Ally Elise:
Enemy Elise:
Karthus:
Yorick:
Hecarim:
Thresh:
Mordekaiser:
Lucian:
Evelynn:
Braum:
Vayne:
Jokes:
Joke 1: Lifts his bell into the air and says "This isn't as heavy as it looks!" Then he looks like he's struggling to hold it and drops it, demons and ghosts come out of the ground around him and look at him angrily he says "Oops.." Then they disappear.
Joke 2: Vallus rings his bell wildly, trying to warn people around him of danger, then realizes he has summoned an army of demons.
Joke 3: Since his lore is related to Elise's, I was thinking he could have this joke when an Elise is on the enemy team. It's a Spongebob reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2RRnk63ZO4 He would see a small spiderling crawl by and slam his bell on the ground, trying to hit it, and yelling "SPIDER!" each time, but he summons an undead creature each time and once he actually hits the spider, he says "Uhh... sorry guys..." to the ghosts and they disappear.

Skin Ideas:
Dragonslayer Vallus: Vallus is holding a dragon's head in his right hand instead of a bell and his particle effects are replaced by fire and the sounds are changed. His demons are now small dragons and when they summon, they fly in from wherever. He is wearing armor made from dragon scales as well.
Death Blossom Vallus: Since Vallus and Elise are related in lore, I think it would be good if they shared a skin. His bell would be replaced with a giant white and blue flower and his right arm will be a vine instead of bone. His particle effects would be changed to show petals flying from the bell/ flower. The noises of the skin will be changed as well and the demons will look like a light blue color.

Thanks To:
Sinerik: For helping with the kit, helping with the speech, and the idea of a champion who fights with a bell.

Ending:
Thank you guys for reading this, I plan on adding more of the speech soon. If you guys have any suggestions for skins, taunts, or anything, just comment. If you want to see my other champion concepts they are here, but none are as good as this one IMO:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vallus- Concept 1.jpg (120.0 KB, 25 views)

DarkLordYami

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-30-2014

Sounds like a much more flushed out version of my guy. http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...9#post48916399
This is great though, personally wish i was better with estimating ratios and base stats. Thats why i stick with vagueness and hope someone who is better can help.

On the other hand, my guy is much more of a tank/fighter who locks someone down and commands undead, where as your character is more of a fighter with an enchanted bell who uses demons and sound to hunt down his enemies.

Scilot

07-30-2014

Two things:
1) I am willing to trade reviews.
and
2) I think I have seen you before Yami. Was it from MACFA or something else?

DarkLordYami

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by apkrow View Post
Two things:
1) I am willing to trade reviews.
and
2) I think I have seen you before Yami. Was it from MACFA or something else?
1) I'm not sure what else to say for your concept. it's an interesting idea that sounds like it could be really fun to play, but i dont see myself playing him that often.
2)I have no clue what MACFA is so i doubt it. I've been around the forums abit, and i play every so often.

Scilot

07-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLordYami View Post
1) I'm not sure what else to say for your concept. it's an interesting idea that sounds like it could be really fun to play, but i dont see myself playing him that often.
2)I have no clue what MACFA is so i doubt it. I've been around the forums abit, and i play every so often.
Okay, anybody want to trade reviews?

Thunderlion101

07-31-2014

Passive:

Eh, I really hate the idea of a pet/minion for any skill. They never get to give you good service since they are AI in a PvP game, and just doesn't have any usefulness because they don't do anything special, like CC. Proof: Yorick. Not only is he a random guy in Shakespeare, but he is also a random guy in this whole champ roster that is not allowed on the free rotation. Rito hates him more then myself, too.

Anyways, I think the cost and the sound resource doesn't do good to him. He has to use so many AA's and only has two non-ults to potentially fill it up fast. That's pretty bad for a melee tank, since they wouldn't be AA-ing every chance they get. And minions are just a weird combo for tanks, since you don't get enough AD or AP to fulfill their damage, and it's basically a temporarily AA boost with low sustain. And also, the second resource is just for summoning the minions, but doesn't seem to serve any other purpose. It should maybe have a damage ratio in one of the abilities, or a buff for how much sound you have.

Q:
Hopefully this doesn't hit minions, so you can aim for the rite person? Anyways, this just kinda feels clunky since it's a long-ranged skillshot that may or may not stun for a certain duration (cuz of the rank). Skillshots just never seemed good for a tank since they are already in melee range and stick to being closer to your team. Unless it's instant and/or passes through multiple units.

W:
Seems like a simple Garen Q, but Garen gets an extremely larger AD ratio, considering it's total AD and is bonus damage. It also silences, so I just think this needs a buff + an interesting CC.

E:
This isn't a way of sneaking a reference in is it? ._.

Well, toggling off doesn't really do much, it just doubles your sound resource build-up with each AA. it doesn't scale with rank at all, so I think toggle off is useless. I mean the sound build-up is already small enough, and like triple of 0 is still nothing. I don't even know if it would be more powerful if all skills would double it, and the ult would create two minions rite away if it was toggled off. Seems to me that I would just leave it on since there is no repercussion. I mean a free tiamat? And I also said that minions aren't even that good, so the sound build-up boost is still not that good at all. So it's now basically 10 per AA times 0 (which is how much I feel my minion is worth XD), which is still 0. Eh, I personally think that it should A) have a solution for ranking up the ability, or B) having both toggles be passive during all times, so that they would just co-exist with each other.

R:
Now this is really the only game-changer. AoE knock-up + slow + 600 damage? This just outweighs anything else, and I think I'd just be a nasus trying to get enough farm so that I could build tanky while just relying on one ability to get my team free aces.

Overall:
pls buff rito

Msg me if I've misinterpreted stuff, and I know I will.

Scilot

07-31-2014

Thanks for the review! First off, this champion is not a tank, but more of a fighter.
And Vallus uses this minion mostly for early game trades and focusing the enemy ADC in team fights. For example, in an early trade (lets say lvl 4) he can build up his sound, then q the enemy. the demon will summon and start attacking them while they are stunned and he can w to get to them and basic attack to deal more damage.
I do agree with you that the W needs a buff. And no, the E isn't a reference as far as I know, I just came up with it, but the R is!

Thunderlion101

07-31-2014

Sigh, Pokemon. Those were the days...

EDIT: dude, if he's a fighter, then he needs a huge buff.

Scilot

07-31-2014

Slightly buffed him, more buffs are coming later, I just need to see what would work best. The buff I just added is: If he uses his W while his E is toggled on, the E's range is increased by 100 for that attack only.

More buffs and possible tweaks to come!

Scilot

08-01-2014

Well just found out the E actually is a reference to Soul Eater.